Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM

26 posts, read 161,467 times

Advertisements

Looking to move my family to Daphne or Fairhope this summer. My husband and I visited there last month and loved it. WE currently live in Southern California. I cannot leave SoCal fast enough...it is just not me. I am not so concerned whether my husband and I will adapt to living in a small, southern town. But, I am wondering how my four kids will adapt. What do average teens do for fun? Are the schools inviting to new students( do they show them around). What is the best and worst thing about living there for kids/teens? Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM

I am just concerned that there will be a HUGE shock for them. I am just trying to ease my mind that they will like it as much as I do.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I wouldn't consider Daphne a typical "small Southern town", it's much more suburban feeling, and growing fairly rapidly. I don't have kids, so I'll let others give advice about that. I do know lots of people live in Baldwin County that aren't from there, so it's not like your kids are going to stand out or anything.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Ok. Thanks for your input. This is the sort of reassurance I need right now.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM

24 posts, read 49,619 times
We recently moved from St. Louis, Mo, for my husband's job. While it's far from the west coast, it has been an adjustment for my kids and mostly for me. We have three teen daughters (and a college son who stayed back) and we moved in the middle of the summer. It was hard for them until school started and then, finally, things started to come together. We currently live in Mobile in an apt. as we are having a hard time finding the "perfect" home and it looks like we will build in Spanish Fort. Our girls go to McGill-Toolen Catholic HS in Mobile and the youngest is at St. Mary's which is across the street. The high schooler's are having an easier time than the 8th grader I think because in high school there is such a larger group to make friends from. Sports and activities are key. If they are interested in sports, check into when try-outs are very early!!!! Try-outs were sooner here than in STL. We are still in the early stages of living here, but it seems the summertime is full of visits to the beach for groups of kids and those who have beach houses. Otherwise, being involved in activities is big such as dance and a large array of sports. And if the kids don't play, then they enjoy going to the games, esp football. You'll also have to decide if you are going to be a Auburn or Alabama fan, and be ready for parties and lots of intense team spirit. :-)

Roll Tide!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks Stephanieinmobile!!! This helps me soooo much. I have one child in elementary, one middle, one high school, and one college. The college one will probably stay back too. I am hoping to get my kids involved in school sports there. I think we would be an Alabama fan all the way!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,855,772 times
We moved during our daughter's senior year and she fit in just fine. Graduated number 2 in her class. Our son is now a freshman in highschool and loves the school. You really can't go wrong with Spanish Fort, Daphne, or Fairhope. For us, Fairhope was the right choice. Yes, it is a smaller town but all three of the above mentioned towns basically merge into one in some ways. There are a lot of outdoor activities, a lot of "city" sponsored public events, and it's easy to make friends.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Great. Thanks for your input. It's sounding better and better. I think my kids might go through some awkward stage momentarily. But after a little while they will be fine.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM

11 posts, read 36,357 times
I am in a similar situation as you SunnyMom6. My family and I currently live in South Florida. We have been here way to long. My children were born and raised here, but I have wanted to go back to the south for a long time. I grew up in Mobile. After having lunch this summer with family in Fairhope I told my husband, We need to move here! So that is our plan for next summer. My kids will be in middle and high school and one will be a senior in HS. He might finish up in FL. They have seen their new schools and are very excited to move. I am a teacher and hope to find a job within the Baldwin School District. My husband is willing to leave his job as well and start over. The whole area (Fairhope, Daphne, Spanish Fort) is so lovely. Nice people, good schools, and contrary to what people say, I think there are lots of activities for kids. I would be comfortable letting my kids walk around downtown and not have to worry about them being shot or taken like I do now. People are from all over there and they don't shove not being a southern in anyone's face at all. Not that I have seen. We have been there many times over the last 6 months looking for a home and I too wish I was there already.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Hi IKaring... Our stories do sound alike. I wish you all the best in finding a job and home in that area. I hope the same for us. I have talked to a job recruiter, so at least I have a possible lead when the time comes. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area