Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 114,502 times

Advertisements

HI, I'm the Orange Beach-Mobile AL area for the week and thinking about catching some crabs with my wife and two small kids. What is considered a good time to catch crabs? I'm looking for a safe place for the family to catch so what places would you recommend. I'm assuming Gulf State Park Pier is one of them, any other places you can recommend? Also can you please recommend a good place for buying off-boat shrimps?
Thanks,
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
I've caught them just about any time during the day. If you can get a crab net with a long handle, around a sea wall is the best place to go. They tuck right up against the wall. If you can find a wall with corrugated metal, they get into the grooves of the metal. I've had success around the Little Lagoon area in Gulf Shores.

As for shrimp.... we always use the folks that dad uses over in Bon Secour (around the Oyster Bay area) which is a very short drive from Gulf Shores. 5691 Heritage drive, Bon Secour, AL 36511. Very reasonable prices and fresh off the boat every day. I don't remember the name of the people but it's a family ran operation.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
"A Saltwater Fishing License is required for all persons fishing or possessing fish in saltwater areas of Alabama."
"This license is also required for cast netting, flounder gigging and recreational crab traps"

Saltwater Recreational Licenses | Outdoor Alabama

"SUMMARY OF ALABAMA RECREATIONAL BLUE CRAB
LAWS AND REGULATIONS"

"No person, shall take, catch, or possess blue crabs that measure less than five
inches (5")..."

http://outdooralabama.com/sites/defa..._Rec_Aug13.pdf

"Gulf State Park's Pier... is the largest pier on the Gulf of Mexico at 1540 ft. long and 41,800 sq. ft. Boasting features that were not available on the old pier... such as indoor seating for concession area, indoor retail area for tackle and souvenirs, comfort stations at the midpoint of the pier (seen in picture above) and wheelchair accessible rail fishing."

"PIER RULES AND REGULTIONS"
"Salt water fishing license required"
"One crab basket per person (no wire baskets)(cannot be left unattended and you cannot crab and fish at same time)"

https://www.alapark.com/gulfstate/Gu...20Park%20Pier/

Alabama Gulf Seafood has a nice finder app (including shrimp):

Alabama Gulf Seafood - Supporting the waters that support Alabama

Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Yes, forgot to mention that you do need a license. But they're not that expensive. (I think less than $30-40 last I checked)

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 AM

26 posts, read 114,502 times
Many thanks to Nlambert and Reactionary for the detailed info. I'll try it out this weekend. As for the fishing license, do you guys know a convenient place to buy it?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
You can buy a fishing license online (but you have to print it yourself):

https://www.alabamainteractive.org/d...ction?sp=OA2AI

For a non-resident of Alabama the saltwater license fee is $22.60 annually or $9.55 per weeklong trip. Those under 16 or over 65 are exempt (however they still need to register with the State - free).

You can call 888-848-6887 to buy a license; they'll give you a temporary number to use until you get the hard copy in the mail.

The bait shop at Gulf State Pier sells licenses - open 24/7. There are many other places to get a license (e.g., Walmart sells licenses).

Note that if you charter fish, the license is (usually) included in the charter price.

Enjoy your vacation!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Ha I won't be far from there myself. Headed down tomorrow morning to visit family. We might cross paths and not even know it.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 21,882 times
Where is a good condo to stay at near the park or sea wall, we want to catch crabs...

Old 06-22-2016, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 18,578 times
It says on the Pier you cannot use a metal crab trap .I have one that is vinyl coated is this acceptable or no? This will be my families first trip and my son wanted to use his trap.Thanks for any reply

Old 06-23-2016, 07:13 AM

No. It is still a wire trap. The only crab trap you are allowed to use are the crab baskets (nets) and you are allowed one basket per person to be out at a time. If you intend to fish, you cannot have a trap out and fish at the same time. It's one or the other.

Here are the pier rules:

No pets, soliciting, shark fishing, reels larger than 4/0, cast nets, gill nets, wire crab traps, spears, spear guns, bed rolls, cots, sleeping bags, sleeping, skates, skate boards, bicycles, running, horseplay, fireworks, firearms, slingshots, beach umbrellas or lounge chairs are allowed.

The rules and regulations are:
1. Limit of 4 rods per fisherman (additional rods brought will be charged $3.50 each).
2. No trolley fishing permitted.
3. Bottom fishing up-wind/up-current.
4. Float fishing down-wind/down-current.
5. Saltwater fishing license is required. Alabama residents may purchase a $5 annual pier license. Non-residents must purchase licenses according to reciprocal agreements with their state of residency.
6. Good conduct/sportsmanship required.
7. One crab basket per person (cannot be left unattended and you cannot crab and fish at same time).
8. Catch must be placed in container within 10 minutes.
9. No tackle and/or bait allowed on tables and benches.
10. Cut bait at cleaning tables or bait cutting tables only.
11. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
12. No standing or sitting on rails.
13. No jumping/diving off of pier.
14. No alcohol allowed on pier.
15. No cooking on pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area