Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 22,990 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are looking for land to build in Fairhope. Is anyone familiar with The Polo Ridge Sudivision? Also, I am so drawn to Point Clear area. Any advice as to what part of town to live in and what school district to be a part of would be so helpful. I was told j Larry newton has high praises. Any builders you guys can recommend. A realtor mentioned that building homes now has sky rocketed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Just remember Point Clear is right at sea level or is that bay level. You need to figure in HOI and flood insurance in the price of anything you buy or build.

We do have one member who knows Fairhope and I am sure she can help.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
Hello,

Polo Ridge subdivision is very nice but you need to know that many lots flood and I've seen it under water. BTW, there is a lot in front on the golf course (Point Clear Stables) that has been reduced quite a bit. (to 99k)

Also you might want to look at Song Grove...closer to town, and Summer Lake. They have lots in the 50k range and even though they are not in Point Clear, they are very nice in the Fairhope school district which is great.

I would be glad to refer some builders that we've worked with and are very good and reasonable. You can send a private message if you wish and need more info.

Fairhope is a wonderful town and you will soon find out why many people keep coming here. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
just remember you can't buy land in the city of fair hope, you can lease it. all land is owned by the city. but anywhere you can live in fair hope or around fair hope is nice, really nice

Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
brownbag,

Your information about owning land in Fairhope is not all correct. The area is divided in a strange manner, not following straight lines or location. For instance, I live west of US 98, 5 blocks from the heart of the city (Fairhope Av and Section St), and we own our land/lot. The neighbor to our side, going towards Fairhope Ave (divided by a gulley) is in that category of their lot belonging to the city.

At the same time, land way out east of town, where the WalMart is, is also in the city owned deal, and it is very difficult to understand how/why this was done. The only disadvantage is that if one purchases a home or land that is city owned, one goes into a meeting with them and you can live there for 99 years....so that does not create a problem.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM

What about the elementary schools? JLN or Fairhope intermediate?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
I don't have as much advice on Point Clear subdivisions but I grew up in Fairhope, lived there a long time. I went to Fairhope Intermediate and it was good then. A normal school in which I felt safe. Most people I know went through Fairhope elementary, intermediate and high altogether, and JLN people had to " merge" in and get to know everyone else.
JLN is also very good, my best friend went there. You see mostly higher income people there. That's basically the only difference, Fairhope Intermediate is a melting pot of all types- upper, middle and lower class. That's in no way meant to be offensive to anyone. I had a great experience there. It just depends what you feel, really.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Thank you for the reply sten4556! That was really helpful

Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
just remember you can't buy land in the city of fair hope, you can lease it. all land is owned by the city. but anywhere you can live in fair hope or around fair hope is nice, really nice
It is true that Fairhope was started as a single tax colony community, in which the colony would own the property and lease it back to the home owners. Some portions of Fairhope is colony land, but most of it is owned by the home owner. You can contact the Fairhope Single Tax Colony in downtown Fairhope or talk to your real estate agent. I live close to downtown Fairhope and own the land our house is on.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 PM

Is the tax usually cheaper if you are part of the FSTC? I was just reading about it but the information seems vague on their site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area