Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,267,624 times

Advertisements

I just moved off Airport and so happy I did because the traffic just keeps getting worse. I used to live by the Krispy Kreme and getting to there every day sucked. But anyways, something I did awhile ago was research the cost and making Airport a limited access road and it isn't that much. From Schillinger to the east end is about 8.5 miles, if there is a crossing point every half mile, the cost would be 70-130 million. The only way I see it, is Airport going under the crossing points. The crossing points wouldn't be lifted rather that part of Airport would have to excavated.

What got me thinking about this was looking at the service roads like, what the heck are they there for if the main road is signalized, other than the fact of getting across, turning and turning around. If the city were to address this and implement it, it would mean that the service roads on either side would only go in one direction. I've been to a lot of cities and almost all of them had one way service roads, not both ways.

I know the estimate seems low but that's what I've come with after researching cost for everything needed like excavation, interstate building, etc.

He is sort of what I'm going for (I410 in San Antonio)

Last edited by MPC; 06-17-2015 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Add picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 PM

688 posts, read 1,206,182 times
At one point, I think ALDOT had plans to convert a lengthy section of Airport Boulevard to a limited access highway. Perhaps funding shortfalls have put that project on the backburner.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:22 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Leaving the crossovers at grade eliminates the horrible roller coaster effect of Memorial Dr. in Huntsville.

I drove this section a lot in San Antonio while it was being rebuilt. Their airport is adjacent to it, and was also being rebuilt at the same time. One had to really plan well on catching flights.

It is a good looking road. Texas really does build excellent roadways. With four big cities they should know all about it.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_regis View Post
At one point, I think ALDOT had plans to convert a lengthy section of Airport Boulevard to a limited access highway. Perhaps funding shortfalls have put that project on the backburner.
I think if it is under 200 million, Mobile could gather the money either through the state or through bonds. I don't think the DOT is going to help considering it's not a federal road but they could try to get some help from them. If they were to do this, you could also keep the airport where it is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Leaving the crossovers at grade eliminates the horrible roller coaster effect of Memorial Dr. in Huntsville.
Same thing I was thinking. That photo almost is exactly what I was going for.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Mobile's population is stagnant, I just don't see it happening.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Mobile's city population is holding at around 195k (due to no annexation attempts being undertaken by the city), but that doesn't mean the county's isn't. The county is adding 10k people every 5-10 years.

A lot is made of a city's population, but one needs to look at the surrounding area to really get a feel for the trends...

Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Not to mention that what something is today is irrelevant to what something might be in 5,8,10 years.

Mobile has jobs coming online that were not here before, and more announcing. Economic growth is the precursor to population expansion. No one should assume anything about Mobile and its future.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't see it happening, at least any time soon, for other reasons than population. But what does population have to do with it? It's not something that is planned for the future, it's something that is needed now.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
the city wants you to stop a every light, they want traffic jams so you can look around and shop before exiting the city, sales tax, its all about the money, that why they stack stores on top of stores. its all about the money so there no way the city would ever allow fast exit from the city by limited road or other. look how they tied up the saraland- mississippi express. its dead stop.

airport blvd was design to stop traffic and its working perfect to the design

Old 06-19-2015, 06:39 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the city wants you to stop a every light, they want traffic jams so you can look around and shop before exiting the city, sales tax, its all about the money, that why they stack stores on top of stores. its all about the money so there no way the city would ever allow fast exit from the city by limited road or other. look how they tied up the saraland- mississippi express. its dead stop.

airport blvd was design to stop traffic and its working perfect to the design
Ok, now that the conspiracy theories are done, let's continue talking about the real issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: