Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 AM

72 posts, read 138,618 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I am planning a vacation most likely around the first week in October. The dates are somewhat flexible, however, I did see the annual Shrimp Fest starting the 8th and that looks like something I would love so it'll probably be around that time.

I'm looking to stay in the Orange Beach area but I do want to see other areas - Mobile, Montgomery and anything else I can squeeze in. This may be a silly question but will the ocean still be warm enough for swimming?

I would welcome any suggestions and recommendations you might have. I am very interested in trying varied restaurants (and food trucks), I love the outdoors, and interested in the history of the area. Also, I would love to attend something that's mostly for the local residents, something where I can simply mingle and talk to people who live in the area. Honestly, I think that's the best way to get to know an area, not necessarily do all the touristy things but actually get to spend some time in the way others in the area live.

Anyway, thank you in advance. Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 06:42 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,362,235 times
The only place I've been is the Space Center in Huntsville. If you're driving and had kids I'd say it's a must-see.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 AM

5,007 posts, read 9,190,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The only place I've been is the Space Center in Huntsville. If you're driving and had kids I'd say it's a must-see.
Huntsville is 5 hours away from the coast so I wouldn't recommend that.

The International Shrimp Festival is a nice event as well as the Bayfest both events are well worth attending. The USS Alabama battleship , Mardi Gra museum (Alabama has the oldest Mardi Gra in the U.S), If you could please take a Delta boat tour of MOBILE'S DELTA it's a hidden gem.The Bellengrath Garden is nice as well. Fall is a season full of events down here on the coast so you never know what will be instore. There are tons of stuff to do in Orange Beach/Gulfshores. If you guys get a chance to check out the Cathedral Basilica in downtown Mobile.You don't have to be religous or affeliated with religion at all to enjoy the artistry, craft and detail of this building. It is well worth a quick tour and is in so many ways the heart and birth of Mobile's French roots.

Mobile has an Art walk festival every 2nd Friday of each month and it is a very nice event to check out. There are tons of great restaraunts down here in Mobile. I recommend Kitchen on George ( take a walking tour of the historic neighborhood this restaraunt is in it's called the Oakleigh historic district) Callaghan Irish pub ( Another great eatery in the Oakleigh district), Dumbwaiter , LODA Bier Garten ( awesome German eatery ), NOJA the food here is excellent as )as well as Spot of Tea there are so many more in downtown and the causeway of Mobile. Mobile has a growing food truck scene !

The average water temp for early Otcober is around 74 degrees. Sometimes the air temperature can reach up to 85 in October.

Last edited by PortCity; 04-26-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 AM

All the suggestions sound really great, thank you very much. I'll have to do some research!

I have to admit, I have been kind of *stuck* in my own little world up here in New England. I've said it elsewhere in these forums that I've always felt misplaced and am meant to live elsewhere so I'm on a mission to see the areas along the gulf coast (I think I need to be near the ocean) to see what feels like somewhere I could see myself living one day. I know vacation is much much different than actually living somewhere which is why I want to see as much as possible.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 AM

432 posts, read 1,258,029 times
I would suggest you come to visit Fairhope. It is a charming small town on Mobile Bay and has many interesting things to see. Please check out the previous posts on Fairhope so I do not repeat myself. I hope you enjoy the visit!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
I would suggest you come to visit Fairhope. It is a charming small town on Mobile Bay and has many interesting things to see. Please check out the previous posts on Fairhope so I do not repeat myself. I hope you enjoy the visit!
Yes I forgot about Fairhope !

Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM

I just added Fairhope to my places of interest list (which is definitely growing). Thank you for the recommendation.

And to PortCity - I looked up the Delta Boat Tours, I'm thrilled there is a tour like this. I went on a swamp boat tour in Wakulla Springs the first time I visited my friend in Tallahassee and absolutely loved it and go every time I visit her. The only thing I don't like is that it's over too soon, so I liked that the Delta tour is 90 minutes. The last time I did the ride in Wakulla Springs, the guide coasted the boat for a few minutes and asked everyone to refrain from talking. It was magical as you could hear all the birds and nature happening.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Oh yeah the Mobile Delta is in many ways our best hidden gem in my opinion.It's so hidden that there aren't to many natives down this away even know about it.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM

44 posts, read 60,247 times
Hello I'm thinking of movie to gulf shores area. We don't have kids but would like a nice safe area with a active lifestyle. Looking for a home with a unground pool. Close to shops and the beach! And help on ideas would be great! Thanks

Old 11-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Huntsville is 5 hours away from the coast so I wouldn't recommend that.

The International Shrimp Festival is a nice event as well as the Bayfest both events are well worth attending. The USS Alabama battleship , Mardi Gra museum (Alabama has the oldest Mardi Gra in the U.S), If you could please take a Delta boat tour of MOBILE'S DELTA it's a hidden gem.The Bellengrath Garden is nice as well. Fall is a season full of events down here on the coast so you never know what will be instore. There are tons of stuff to do in Orange Beach/Gulfshores. If you guys get a chance to check out the Cathedral Basilica in downtown Mobile.You don't have to be religous or affeliated with religion at all to enjoy the artistry, craft and detail of this building. It is well worth a quick tour and is in so many ways the heart and birth of Mobile's French roots.

Mobile has an Art walk festival every 2nd Friday of each month and it is a very nice event to check out. There are tons of great restaraunts down here in Mobile. I recommend Kitchen on George ( take a walking tour of the historic neighborhood this restaraunt is in it's called the Oakleigh historic district) Callaghan Irish pub ( Another great eatery in the Oakleigh district), Dumbwaiter , LODA Bier Garten ( awesome German eatery ), NOJA the food here is excellent as )as well as Spot of Tea there are so many more in downtown and the causeway of Mobile. Mobile has a growing food truck scene !

The average water temp for early Otcober is around 74 degrees. Sometimes the air temperature can reach up to 85 in October.
I wanted to follow up since I had my vacation and now - begrudgingly - back home. I fell in love with the area. I tried to see as much "off the beaten path" as I could to really get a feel for the area as a non-tourist as best I could. Everyone was super friendly (the way things should be, right?) and the food was fantastic.

The Shrimp Fest was a lot of fun. If I lived there, I would have certainly picked up a few more things. There were some unique and talented folks there for sure. I was really bummed that the Bayfest was canceled as I had planned on attending. I did, however, go to the Taste of Foley. Great food vendors and music. It was my first stop before I even checked into my hotel.

I LOVED the delta boat tour. During the tour, they said the week before there had been a national bird convention of some sort and not one spotting of white heron. Yet, on our tour, a whole (flock?) was seen flying above us so I was fortunate enough to get a shot. I also went to an airboat tour and if anyone is familiar, one of my guides was Andy from Gator Boys! Yes, I said "one of" because I liked it so much, I paid for a second ride!

I visited a nuisance alligator farm in Summerdale and went during feeding time. It was fascinating and I learned a lot at all three places.

I made it as far as Biloxi and went to the Cruisin' the Coast. There was so much to do that I need to come back as I did not get to spend time in Fairhope or as much as I wanted to in Mobile. I did try Spot of Tea...GREAT food and I bought a big container of loose tea to take home.

Btw, I have to give a shout out to this small business owned by two ladies just because I believe in promoting small businesses. The Rum Sisters in Gulf Shores makes delicious rum and bourbon infused cakes. I bought some to bring home for people and they were a big hit so I highly recommend them.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations and I definitely plan to be back. Maybe one time in the near future permanently! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area