Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 09:04 AM

154 posts, read 346,446 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm relocating to Mobile. Looking to rent a studio or 1BR in the city. Right now, Midtown looks like a great place for me to target, but are there any other areas in the city that might have a similar vibe (and affordable rent)?

I drove over to the university area, which offers a rich location experience in most cities I've been to, but Mobile seems to be an exception in this regard.

"Affordable rent" = $650 or less for me. Emphasis on the less. If I'm going to pay $650, I'll want to be sure water/sewer included in the rent.

"Similar vibe" = established neighborhood, mixed use, mixed demographics (socio-economic, age, complexion, language, etc.), sidewalks, within two miles of city center, fairly close to a library, grocery store.

Note: I tried looking in the Mobile Maybe? sticky, but it looks like a crime-rate debate has hijacked that thread for many pages (no pun intended), and I don't have the time or patience to dig there for useful intel. So if you're tempted to throw in some crime-related responses to my question, would you please consider placing them in the already-hijacked thread?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mzurie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times
Midtown is one of the fastest growing areas of the city. Definitely the best feel to it as well, but I think you will be hard pressed to find a space for $650 that is decent. With the housing shortage going on a lot of places worth renting are gone.

What do you mean by "I drove over to the university area, which offers a rich location experience in most cities I've been to, but Mobile seems to be an exception in this regard." I think im just reading it wrong.

I will do some research and see if I can see anything in your range.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:54 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Unfortunately that might be difficult, as P-Mac has stated, supply has deplete because of the housing shortage (in which Mobile is among the hardest hit ones with very little housing left to be bought)

Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM

Thanks, P_Mac!

Re: my comment about Mobile's university area. The overall vibe of both the campus (USA specifically) is that of a nice industrial park with the surrounding areas rather generic - no sense of place to me. But maybe I didn't look in the right pockets near the campus? Feel free to quash my first impressions!

I'm also open to renting a bedroom/private bath in someone's home, with communal kitchen and living space, but, you know, the dynamics between homeowner and renter will make or break the experience.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM

426 posts, read 382,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
Thanks, P_Mac!

Re: my comment about Mobile's university area. The overall vibe of both the campus (USA specifically) is that of a nice industrial park with the surrounding areas rather generic - no sense of place to me. But maybe I didn't look in the right pockets near the campus? Feel free to quash my first impressions!

I'm also open to renting a bedroom/private bath in someone's home, with communal kitchen and living space, but, you know, the dynamics between homeowner and renter will make or break the experience.
Ok, got ya. Look over near Lavretta Park on Old Shell Road. That's Spring Hill, which is one of the nicer areas of Mobile, but that little pocket has some smaller homes that might fit your range.

For the longest time USA's campus was bleak, and the surrounding areas reflected that. Luckily with the campus being updated with new buildings, new stadium, etc the surronding areas will rise to match it in the coming years.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Yes, you are coming at a big time for Mobile, a lot of make over is happening in the city.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:27 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
You might consider the Washington Square area - south of Midtown and Government St.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:48 PM

Thanks - I'll check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: