Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 PM

67 posts, read 112,408 times

Advertisements

The I-10 tunnel is ridiculously backed up all the time. We really need that bridge to be built. Are there any time tables for the construction to begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:09 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,268,819 times
Just seen on the news that the project is moving forward and construction is to start next year. What I don't like, is that the bay way and the bridge will both have tolls. I understand the bridge but it sucks the bay way will have them also. They are expanding the bay way to eight lanes from four.

ALDOT has a shortlist of 3 or 4 builders; and as part of plan, there is a requirement for bike lanes and pedestrian walkways. However the original cost of 850 million is no more apparently as new estimates show the cost to be 2 billion.

I wonder if county residents will get a reduced fare or just have to purchase a pass to save cost on daily commuting?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:19 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,863,927 times
It will be 2028 before all of this is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC View Post
What I don't like, is that the bay way and the bridge will both have tolls. I understand the bridge but it sucks the bay way will have them also. They are expanding the bay way to eight lanes from four.
We've got to pay for it somehow! The administration apparently has started to rely on public-private partnerships for infrastructure projects. So, here we are...

Quote:
ALDOT has a shortlist of 3 or 4 builders; and as part of plan, there is a requirement for bike lanes and pedestrian walkways. However the original cost of 850 million is no more apparently as new estimates show the cost to be 2 billion.
A mandate for bike lanes and ped walkways is an absolute victory for the bay area. The cost has escalated due to new Army CoE rules relating to storm events and bridge heights, among other things.

Quote:
I wonder if county residents will get a reduced fare or just have to purchase a pass to save cost on daily commuting?
Most likely there will be an express-pass type system where you are an annual member with a set fee and unlimited trips... but that will be available to everyone, most likely.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,268,819 times
My replies are in Bold in the quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
It will be 2028 before all of this is done.

Believe me I know this. I fully expect it to take around 8-10 years to build just based on history.

We've got to pay for it somehow! The administration apparently has started to rely on public-private partnerships for infrastructure projects. So, here we are...

I understand that, more so what I meant was that I wonder if the toll will be the same. I'm okay with a toll but I wonder if it will cost the same to ride the tunnel versus the bridge. For example, if the bridge cost 1.5 billion of the 2.0 billion, then the toll for the bridge and bay way should reflect that.

A mandate for bike lanes and ped walkways is an absolute victory for the bay area. The cost has escalated due to new Army CoE rules relating to storm events and bridge heights, among other things.

I agree 100% on bike lanes and walkways, always been for it

Most likely there will be an express-pass type system where you are an annual member with a set fee and unlimited trips... but that will be available to everyone, most likely.

There will definitely be an express-pass, the news said that the toll won't even have stops, all digital. I don't know how they are going to do this when sometimes people drive their family/friends vehicle and the only way to charge would be the license plate. And not every joe passing through is going to have the windshield device.
I did some number-crunching and believe me I am no expert but based on a 2 billion cost, with traffic 75k per day and 100k for say around 2 months, the tolls would need to be about/at least $2.85 to $4.10; a little less for pass holders. This is for 55 years, the deal that ALDOT is awarding the builder.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:16 AM

310 posts, read 388,401 times
Quite frankly, at this point I'm willing to pay the toll to alleviate the headache of the traffic congestion. Last Memorial Day, we waited in traffic for almost an hour just to get across the bay way!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Quote:
There will definitely be an express-pass, the news said that the toll won't even have stops, all digital. I don't know how they are going to do this when sometimes people drive their family/friends vehicle and the only way to charge would be the license plate. And not every joe passing through is going to have the windshield device.
Several states take images of a vehicle's license plate, access information from the issuing state, and bill the vehicle owner.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
After the Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project is completed, will the existing Interstate 10 alignment through the Wallace Tunnel reconfigure to a city street?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

310 posts, read 388,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Several states take images of a vehicle's license plate, access information from the issuing state, and bill the vehicle owner.
I've had this happen in Florida and Texas and am not a fan of this draconian measure. I'd rather know up front if I'm going to have to pay a toll rather than receiving a threatening letter months later to pay or face a suspended license/imprisonment: Thousands receive collection notices after vacationing in FL - WSMV News 4

Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
After the Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project is completed, will the existing Interstate 10 alignment through the Wallace Tunnel reconfigure to a city street?
It will be an alternate route, I believe... still limited access.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
I've had this happen in Florida and Texas and am not a fan of this draconian measure. I'd rather know up front if I'm going to have to pay a toll rather than receiving a threatening letter months later to pay or face a suspended license/imprisonment: Thousands receive collection notices after vacationing in FL - WSMV News 4
I would rather this than daily long lines at toll booths - especially during the summer. It's an imperfect system unfortunately

Is there even room for an expanded toll area anyways? Booths would probably require such
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area