Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM

80 posts, read 143,065 times

Advertisements

I live in Montgomery, and may end up in Mobile due to a job (and possible healthcare ministry opportunity). Can someone from Mobile speak to what the religious front looks like in Mobile? I don't mean number of churches; I can look that up on Google. I mean, what do the folks who live in Mobile think or feel about religion/God/faith/church. I realize this may get some polarizing answers, but I'm okay with that. Is Mobile full of "old religion"? Traditionalism? Liturgy? Are there religious movements going on, either negative or positive? (and yes, I'm leaving that up to your interpretation)

Thanks for any insight you may can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Mod note: Politics and religion are "hot" topics. Responses must be local to Mobile, within the TOS, and aimed towards answering the employment concerns of the OP. Thread drift will result in the thread being deleted.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
I no longer live in Mobile, but grew up there and spent over 40 years of my life there, and I’m pretty sure it’s still the same. I would consider Mobile to be more religious oriented than not, leaning more towards traditional religion for the most part. Not sure of any movements, as I’ve not lived there in over ten years. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Well I live near Mobile and I’m not religious at all, so...

I would think that Mobile is probably a little less religious than Montgomery, although I have no proof of that. It’s not somewhere where you’ll constantly get asked “where do you go to church”, if that matters.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I live near Mobile and I’m not religious at all, so...

I would think that Mobile is probably a little less religious than Montgomery, although I have no proof of that. It’s not somewhere where you’ll constantly get asked “where do you go to church”, if that matters.
Maybe I should have made note that I’m not religious at all either, but I was in the minority while living in Mobile.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Maybe I should have made note that I’m not religious at all either, but I was in the minority while living in Mobile.
Maybe so, but I’ve never felt pressured into it like I hear people describe other places. Now I live in a small town 50 miles north of Mobile (Atmore), and even here nobody cares about your religion.

Now the only exception might be Islam, folks around around these parts do not have a positive opinion of that, but it’s like that in most areas of the US.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
No one really cares if you are religous or not in Mobile.And just as Southernaturlover mentioned it's not a place where you will be constantly invited or asked do you go to church.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 AM

17 posts, read 36,863 times
I guess I would have a different outlook as I have grown up in church. Since I grew up in church, that’s all I have known for the area. I do feel Islam is not looked at positively. But believe that to be US wide as well.
We are a lot more traditional in that since even though my church is non denominational. I do like to hear others opinions on this matter.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:52 AM

651 posts, read 476,343 times
Mobile has a high number of Catholics due to it's history and it's location on the Gulf Coast and it has a ton of Southern Baptist because it's the South.

You can go through life pretty well without being pressured into many church or church events, but church or church/Religious sponsored events and activities definitively make up a big portion of things to do in Mobile. It really depends on your circle of friends as you can easily never get caught up in any of these depending on your interest ,but it's not surprising for even the most non-religious person to some degree of separation from a local church.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis310 View Post
I guess I would have a different outlook as I have grown up in church. Since I grew up in church, that’s all I have known for the area. I do feel Islam is not looked at positively. But believe that to be US wide as well.
We are a lot more traditional in that since even though my church is non denominational. I do like to hear others opinions on this matter.
As far as non denomination goes.There are a lot of churches in Mobile that are non denominational. Most new church campuses are non denominational. Outside of that there is a huge Catholic and Baptist presence for sure.The church that my family attend is non denominational with around 2,000 members. And the age group of majority of the members are between 23 - 45 ish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area