Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 21,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They are likely trying to keep a forested look for the entire community. If you have random lots that are completely clear cut it can look a little odd. Surely they would allow removal of any invasive species, such as Chinese Tallow.
I think that must be the goal. They're requiring 20 foot natural buffers on the sides and 50 foot in the back of the lot. I was going to keep a de-brushed curtain of trees along the front as well. But allowing the clearing of only a half acre of the 2.5 acres will sure leave a lot more buffer than they specified.
I didn't ask about the invasive species. I was more concerned about the trees falling on the new house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Is it by any chance on an incline or some kind of gradually sloping low hill near a large body of water? If it is on a slope or higher than usual elevation for the area then the reason might be for the prevention of soil erosion and mud slides during high wind storms, rain storms, hurricanes, etc.

I could see that. The lots are flat and about 70 feet above seal level. Don't know if this would be the reason or not?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I suppose it depends on the person. Here in Texas, my ranch is tree covered......but the ranch next door is pretty well tree sparse, relatively speaking.

I suppose mine might be the disaster in wild fire but then again, how safe is any land in that intensity?

Me, I see my ranch as a nature preserve, so I keep the trees, but I suppose it just depends.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeExCa View Post
The covenant of the development says that we can only ever clear a half acre of the 2.5 acre lot yet they are asking full market price for the 2.5 acres. This just seems so odd to me and I was trying to figure out what the reason for this rule is. I would be fine to just clear one acre of the 2.5 and leave a buffer between me and the neighbors. Has anyone else experienced this?
There was a similar development in Tallahassee where I used to live. They wanted to keep the development as natural as possible, and it was marketed as living in a nature preserve.

I personally wouldn't want to be so restricted with what I could do with my own land, but that's just me - to each his own.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:29 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback!

The reason I asked this question about wooded vs. clear lots is that my wife and I are currently looking at a heavily wooded, 2.5 acre lot in a development near Fairhope. The covenant of the development says that we can only ever clear a half acre of the 2.5 acre lot yet they are asking full market price for the 2.5 acres. This just seems so odd to me and I was trying to figure out what the reason for this rule is. I would be fine to just clear one acre of the 2.5 and leave a buffer between me and the neighbors. Has anyone else experienced this?
I used to live in a neighborhood like that. You needed permission to remove additional trees. There had to be a good reason.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:29 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback!

The reason I asked this question about wooded vs. clear lots is that my wife and I are currently looking at a heavily wooded, 2.5 acre lot in a development near Fairhope. The covenant of the development says that we can only ever clear a half acre of the 2.5 acre lot yet they are asking full market price for the 2.5 acres. This just seems so odd to me and I was trying to figure out what the reason for this rule is. I would be fine to just clear one acre of the 2.5 and leave a buffer between me and the neighbors. Has anyone else experienced this?
Is the area prone to flooding? If it is, that could be a reason why they want to maintain so many trees. They help with flood control.

Last edited by 562026; 10-09-2020 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Is the area prone to flooding? If it is, that could be a reason why they want to maintain so many trees. They help with flood control.
No, high and dry flood zone X.

I guess it's just a preference of the developer of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area