Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 20,406 times

Advertisements

With the continued shootings at Bel Air, it’s obvious it will find a fate similar to Montgomery Mall. Where could Belk and Dillards go if a new development was created? I wish a savvy developer would do a Birmingham Summit type center in Mobile. The Summit is full and always busy, even with online shopping. Eastchase in Montgomery and Bridge Street in Huntsville are successful. Love to see the new Macy’s prototype store in Mobile. The time is ripe for someone to do that type project in Mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 09:34 PM

265 posts, read 428,926 times
Agreed 100 percent! We need what you say to happen, but it seems the ones running Mobile just don't care.

Old 02-27-2021, 10:45 PM

688 posts, read 1,206,589 times
Dillard’s and Belk would consolidate the Bel Air stores with their ESC counterparts before anchoring any new hypothetical development. Also, higher end retail isn’t in expansion mode, so this development would have huge amounts of vacant space.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Yeah it's time for a new developwment in Mobile county. The ESC is dead and Bel Air is trash.Bel Air looks upscale from the main side but it isn't.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:02 AM

53 posts, read 71,655 times
The festival center would make an excellent location for something like this. It's essentially empty at this point and if the entire area was bulldozed it would provide ample space to build an outdoor "lifestyle center" -- not to mention it's a prime location.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:18 PM

489 posts, read 886,689 times
Nothing nice will ever make it in Mobile. Bel Air was a laughable attempt, and look how it turned out. The ESC high rents have run tenants out; otherwise, it could have done well. I think a big issue is online shopping vs brick and mortar stores. It costs companies too much overhead to pay these high rents when most shoppers buy online now. Lots of empty spaces at the Tanger Outlets also. If anything similar to the Summit was in the making, it would be on the Eastern Shore. That's where the growth and money is moving. Mobile has become dumpy. I grew up there and lived there 27 years, so I can say that. I moved to Baldwin County and haven't looked back.

Unfortunately, others are seeing the same picture and moving this way. Baldwin County is massively being overbuilt. There are 3 Aldi's going in, another Publix, an Amazon distribution center, more apartment complexes, and that massive 900+ home subdivision of cookie-cutter houses in Spanish Fort known as Stonebridge. It's so huge that they're having to build a school to accommodate it. I'm waiting for another housing crash. Many of these entry-level homes are going for $230k+; anything 2000 sf or more $300k+.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:04 PM

562 posts, read 666,523 times
The only hope for Bel Air is some form of redevelopment. While the anchors seem to be doing well, the inline tenants are dropping like flies (at many other malls as well) and the replacements are just there to fill space. It's in such a prime location off the interstate and Airport Blvd that a well-planned mixed-use development could be a major draw.

This mall has been screwed up so many times, it's time to hit the reset button and start over again.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:30 PM

490 posts, read 464,970 times
That is exactly what I was thinking! The location is really great. It just needs to be redeveloped. Anchors can stay. Redevelop with apartments, office, entertainment, and new retail. The site is huge.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:51 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
I don’t get people that come to the Mobile forum just to say Mobile is “dumpy,” and “left it years ago” and “never looked back” but continually come around and post about it as if they’re only looking for some vindication.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:39 PM

490 posts, read 464,970 times
I know right....”dumpy”. Give it 30 years and a lot Baldwin County will start to look ”dumpy” too. Just look at Lake Forrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area