Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 AM

15 posts, read 35,094 times

Advertisements

From visiting, I really liked the schools and the quality of living in Mobile, AL. Is it really what is cracked up to be? I am looking for a small, quiet area to raise my daughter with low crime, nice housing, etc.,

I work as a Project Manager for software organization and have found a few oppty's in the area, but not many.

I guess, I am just looking for some guidance from those of you that live there or recently relocated.

Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Newbaby90908
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM

129 posts, read 362,158 times
Having spent quite a bit of time in the Detroit area, and living in Mobile for ten years, I can say they are much different cities. I'll list a few of the things I think are different.

1. The weather. It almost never snows in Mobile, and only gets below freezing maybe a couple of days or weeks of the year. It also get damn hot in the summer.

2. From my experience over the last year or so, the jobs in Mobile for 'IT' professionals have been almost non-existent. I'm not sure about Detroit, but being such a bigger area I assume there are more opportunities there.

3. Crime. I don't really know. It seems like crime has risen a lot in the past two years. I see statistics that counter this view, but I believe those are for political purposes.

4. There are no professional sports teams in the area here. Detroit is a great sports town.

5. Traffic is about the same here as it is in Detroit.

6. Schools. I don't have children, so I may not be the best to answer this. However, I do read the news and I know that there are real issues with education in Alabama. There are budget problems with public schools in Mobile. I don't know why it seems to be a lower priority for elected officials, but it looks like it is. On the other hand, there are a lot of private schools here to choose from. I don't know anything about the schools in Detroit.

7. The food here is much better. No offense, but I found food in Detroit to be extremely bland. Also, a 'coney' is not as good as a chili dog.

That's all I've got for now. I hope some of it helps.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Thanks so much, dailysounds! Much appreciated..

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM

123 posts, read 318,835 times
I work as a Project Manager for software organization and have found a few oppty's in the area, but not many.

Look into Atlanta

Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Having spent quite a bit of time in the Detroit area, and living in Mobile for ten years, I can say they are much different cities. I'll list a few of the things I think are different.

1. The weather. It almost never snows in Mobile, and only gets below freezing maybe a couple of days or weeks of the year. It also get damn hot in the summer.

2. From my experience over the last year or so, the jobs in Mobile for 'IT' professionals have been almost non-existent. I'm not sure about Detroit, but being such a bigger area I assume there are more opportunities there.

3. Crime. I don't really know. It seems like crime has risen a lot in the past two years. I see statistics that counter this view, but I believe those are for political purposes.

4. There are no professional sports teams in the area here. Detroit is a great sports town.

6. Schools. I don't have children, so I may not be the best to answer this. However, I do read the news and I know that there are real issues with education in Alabama. There are budget problems with public schools in Mobile. I don't know why it seems to be a lower priority for elected officials, but it looks like it is. On the other hand, there are a lot of private schools here to choose from. I don't know anything about the schools in Detroit.

7. The food here is much better. No offense, but I found food in Detroit to be extremely bland. Also, a 'coney' is not as good as a chili dog.

Traffic in Mobile is the same as Detroit ?? I find that hard to believe.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM

489 posts, read 886,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Traffic in Mobile is the same as Detroit ?? I find that hard to believe.
Traffic is not the same, been to Detroit a number of times and have grown up in Mobile my whole life. There's always construction on the roads in Detroit when it's not the dead of winter, so traffic sucks even more. The construction is due to the poor condition of the roads. Traffic and harsh winters eat them up. MI has about the worst roads in the county that I've found.

The weather is your preference. I particularly like the cold weather and hate the hot humid climate down here. I like suburban Detroit but wouldn't live in Detriot proper. I'd looked into Novi and Farmington Hills before when I almost moved there.

As for comparable cities, are you talking about Detroit proper or Sterling Heights? Those areas are as different as night and day. Oakland and Macomb Counties are far nicer than most of the things you will find here; however, housing wise, you can buy as nice or nicer house here for a fraction of the price. Mobile just doesn't have the "newer" shopping areas with the exception of the Eastern Shore Mall in Daphne. There are plenty of newer neighborhoods in West Mobile or on the Eastern Shore though. In time, we will get those nicer places. I keep hoping they'll build a Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Changs over here in the Eastern Shore Center. Mobile just doesn't have that kind of stuff.

Overall though, your dollar goes alot further here. Sure the salaries are lower here but the difference still is in the favor of the South. You will have a much nicer house here than you would in Detroit. There are pros and cons of each place though.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 29,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post

The schools in Mobile are not great for your children. Would suggest a private school.
The traffic is NOT the same. Mobile only has 2 interstates. Traffic FEELS the same b/c they have more streets, intersections, etc..

Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM

16 posts, read 31,219 times
From what I've heard crime has risen, because of Hurricane Katrina.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM

129 posts, read 362,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Traffic is not the same, been to Detroit a number of times and have grown up in Mobile my whole life. There's always construction on the roads in Detroit when it's not the dead of winter, so traffic sucks even more. The construction is due to the poor condition of the roads. Traffic and harsh winters eat them up. MI has about the worst roads in the county that I've found.
I don't know what you are comparing, but when I say traffic is about the same, I mean congestion. Obviously, Detroit area is much larger than the Mobile area. There are more interstates, highways, and cars on the road. When I think of 'traffic' I think about how much time I spend going well under the speed limit or at a stand-still due to congestion. I drove around the Detroit area for many months and almost never had to sit in traffic. The roads are bad, but that isn't an issue unless it causes stoppage or slowing. Traffic on Airport or Cottage Hill during rush hour is frustrating, but the interstates here are generally ok except for near the tunnels.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM

I figure there is crime everywhere these days and anywhere has got to be better than Detroit. Also, I was looking at private schools and will have to make a decision once I move (daughter still young). Whats the average commute to work? I drive about an hour each way now so two hours a day for work. I def don't want to do that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area