Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Mobile and is looking into moving back. We live in the DFW, TX area and just recently married. Besides moving away from my family which is one of the main reasons why I do not want to move, I need ALOT of convincing. Just to start off, please do not take insult or personally to what I write, it is just what I know with limited knowledge. We have good jobs, he is in medical and I am in marketing. The job market is good here in TX and housing is pretty decent compared to other markets and we do good here financially. The schools are good too and where we live, crime is pretty non existant. I have visited Mobile numerous times and what I see is a historical city which I love but the job market doesn't seem good or is very limited. I did a salary comparison/cost of living for Mobile compared to DFW and I did not like what I saw. I am used to multiple corporate companies and the fact there are major sports. The unemployment rate is high and that concerns me as well as crime, which I know happens everywhere but frankly, I don't want to hear gunshots at all, unless it is for hunting. I am not into the beach or outdoor activities which I know is big there. I do love the fresh seafood that Mobile has to offer though, it is fantastic. We are looking into having kids soon and while school is a little ways off, we want good education for our kids and I don't know if we would be able to afford private schools. Are the public schools good? I hear yes and no. Also, AL has a state tax, TX does not. Are taxes high? If we moved back, my husband would be working most likely at Springhill Medical, or maybe the Infirmary so we would be looking into moving into the Mobile area, not outskirts like Saraland/Satsuma or across the bay. I guess I am so used to having amenities (such as a 24 Hour Fitness gym, Mexican food on every corner, sports teams) that we have here that I feel like I am going to be moving to a city that just hasn't caught up or is "behind" and we would be downgrading, not upgrading if we moved. Again, not to insult anyone, I am just trying to wrap my head around all this. Any pointers or advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,167,336 times
To be honset you guys would be downgrading coming from Dalla/FW area. I have met some people from your area and the Houston area some of them like and dislike Mobile depending on the person and they moved here for aerospaceand mechanical engineering jobs.

Reading your post: No we don`t have a professional team, we are big on sea/creole food not mexican.There are some good public schools,and the medical field is very strong in Mobile not sure about marketing though. Crime is being exagerated on this forum Mobile is a safe city.

The state of Alabama as a whole is behind in Texas. We want better but our state goverment is still holding on to old traditional values.

So at the end of the day it just depends on the indiviudal and I have a gut feeling that you will not like it here.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM

168 posts, read 518,577 times
I used to live in Oklahoma City, and cost of living is also better there than in Mobile. Your concerns are very understandable. But, I don't regret moving to Mobile. Definitely spend a week or two down here before you make your final decision.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
Thank you both for being honest...and not ripping me. I know that each person is different but my husband misses home and wants to move back. I want him to be happy but also want to make sure it is the best decision for the both of us and our future and I don't know if he is grasping that fully. He thinks it will be easy for me to find a job and that I will fit right in. Not to say that I won't, but it is daunting to think of trying to find a job when I have a good one already, plus I feel fortunate to have one. I think too is the fact that I am a native Texan, lived here my whole life, it is just hard to think about not living anywhere but in TX.

Port City, I love cajun/creole/seafood so I could just substitute. My husband here always wants to eat Mexican since they don't have much in AL, lol.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times
You can take solice in that there are some good mexican eateries ... just not on every corner. El Giro in Midtown is great, and there are also 3-4 good ones spread out across West Mobile along with some mediocre other ones.

It would be unfair to say Mobile is "downgrading" from Dallas in general, as that is all relative to the specific wants of a person. But if it is big-city amenities, high pay, manuverability, and professional sports teams that you love ... then yes, for you personally, it would definitely be a "downgrading" move.

With that said, you can find jobs in the medical field (of course, consider that I am 2 years removed from Mobile when I say that) ... and yes, those jobs will not pay as much as they do in a large market. Cost of living will be cheaper though.

As for your husband, I can relate. Mobile may not be much to outsiders ... but if it is your home, you love it. I don't have an answer for your situation, but I can sympathize. Hope it all works out for you guys one way or the other.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM

432 posts, read 1,256,574 times
My son and family live in McKinney, and considered moving here ( to Fairhope), but chose TX beacuse of amenities and great prices on homes and availability of jobs. This was 3 1/2 yrs ago, and they love coming to visit, but would die of boredom in this area...that includes Mobile. They moved from Sonoma County, Ca...by the way, and our area is light years behind.

The one good thing is that we have the lowest property taxes in the country...and Texas does nit. You pay less for good size homes, but the taxes are atrocious. And I imagine your insurance is also less than ours.

I do not envy your position, so hope for the best. We came here from Atlanta, and do not miss the traffic, crime, ect., but sure miss great restaurants, and activities. We are over 65, so it works for us. You are starting so maybe the laid back life in Alabama might not be for you. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 PM

535 posts, read 1,296,483 times
I have to tell you that you would be sorely disappointed if you moved to Mobile after living in Texas..period. I am a native Mobilian that lived in Mobile for 40 plus years before I made the decision to move to Austin a couple of years ago.

There is no comparison. Mobile is a old fashioned, conservative little city that would leave you feeling isolated and out of place. Sure, as with most cities Mobile can highlight some cool aspects if you are just a visitor, but living there would be a totally different story.

You can contact me offlist if you have any more questions about Mobile. I can tell you everything you need to know. :-)

Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM

299 posts, read 938,772 times
Unless you could "win" a spot with a magnet school, your best bet would be private school. Finding a job in medical probably wouldn't be too hard, but I know that it could be tough to try and find a job in marketing (people are getting let go right now). Crime is not bad in the city (worse in the outskirts really). Mobile is just kind of starting to become something more, trying our hardest until the recession halted most of that. Yes, it still has a long way to go.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM

143 posts, read 282,915 times
My family and I moved to Mobile from Dallas in October. I prefer Mobile's smaller size and culture to that of Dallas. Mobile is behind most other places I've lived (VA, NJ, CO, TX) by about 10-15 years or so in areas of healthy, progressive living. For example even Dallas has in place (and is still creating) hike and bike paths throughout the city. I don't think Mobile has a single one. But there is certainly less traffic and people are nice here. There are pockets of seedy (ghetto-type) areas throughout the city and while Dauphin Street is nice downtown, the downtown area definitely needs more life. The seafood is great but I do miss Whole Foods. There isn't a great supermarket selection and we do miss that. We are looking forward to beach season!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
My family and I moved to Mobile from Dallas in October. I prefer Mobile's smaller size and culture to that of Dallas.
Correct. The term "downgrading" is based on individual wants. For some it is downgrading. For others, it is definitely upgrading. I happen to like the Mobile/Gulf area alot myself (but my view is biased).

Quote:
For example even Dallas has in place (and is still creating) hike and bike paths throughout the city. I don't think Mobile has a single one.
It's not much, but there is a "city" walking/bike path that runs parallel to Montlimar Drive just south of Airport Blvd. To access the beginning of it, go behind the little strip mall that contains Gamestop and the Bread Factory at Montlimar/Airport. Never could figure out why this random path was put there, but we used to walk down it ocassionally. Be prepared though - it's not much and is very random as far as placement.

Quote:
seafood is great but I do miss Whole Foods. There isn't a great supermarket selection and we do miss that. We are looking forward to beach season!
When we move back eventually, I am going to sorely miss Whole Foods. We currently live within walking distance to one. There is the Fresh Market in Mobile, and I used to enjoy walking up there. They do not offer anywhere near the sheer volume of organic food that Whole Foods does though, which sucks as I am a big believer in buying organic. It would be nice if a Whole Foods would open on Eastern Shore. Seems like a market would be there. At the very least, a Trader Joe's or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area