Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,390 times

Advertisements

Been considering a move for quite some time from the sunny hot south to the ever long wintered state of MT. After visiting several times (with several more scheduled) I finally decided to join this forum to seek some opinions from ya'll as for the most part, you are quite an upfront type group of individuals.

Circumstances in my life changed dramatically several years ago (death) and I now face the challenges of being a single mom. I have been quite disgusted by the growth of my large southern city (average of 4,000 new folks moving in A MONTH). What I have always wanted and now find myself in a position to achieve is a small cattle operation (50 - 75 head). After searching areas closer to home and finding the cost prohibitive I entertained other areas of this great country. I LOVE YOUR STATE! I want to ranch for the love of the land and the animals and hopefully to make a meager income or, at least, break even. The problem is this...I have little experience raising cattle in the north which I realize poses different types of challenges than what I am used to. So, what I am thinking is this. Move my boys and me up to MT next summer to a house in a small city (like Townsend or White Sulphur Springs) and try and find a rancher willing to let me shadow him for a year (no pay). That would give me time to explore areas to purchase land and know exactly what I am in for! I plan on doing this for at least the next 20 years. My Question is this. Do you think there is anyone who would be willing to take me on (being a woman and all)?

I really feel this would be a positive move for us all. My boys can be boys! and I can be a rancher! I welcome any insight you are willing to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
I had an Aunt that kind of did what you are thinking, she (single mother w/2 boys) moved to MT and took a job managing a motel and made some contacts where her boys ended up working a ranch hearding cattle. The motel gave them a place to stay and salary. You might be able to find a "dude" ranch that would give you what you want and depending on the boys ages might work them in somehow. I think ranchers may be a little skeptical at first but if you are persistant I'll bet you will get the chance you are looking for. Hard work is respected here and I don't think they pay attention to man or woman as much anymore. Stick around this forum and keep asking, I'm sure someone who knows someone will end up answering you. Good luck and congrats on having the guts to trying something new.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,894,865 times
Townsend / White Sulphur Springs are excellent areas.

You may also look over around the Billings area.

Get a hold of Sarpy Sam (http://nowherethoughts.net/sarpysam/ - broken link) and pick his brain on the subject...... I'm sure he would be most happy to lend an assist. And he may just put you to work directly..... Good Luck

Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
That was very nice of you giftshoppe! I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Townsend / White Sulphur Springs are excellent areas.

You may also look over around the Billings area.

Get a hold of Sarpy Sam (http://nowherethoughts.net/sarpysam/ - broken link) and pick his brain on the subject...... I'm sure he would be most happy to lend an assist. And he may just put you to work directly..... Good Luck

I really appreciate the info on Sarpy Sam and have jumped over to his blog. I will broaden my search to the Billings area per your suggestion. Thank you and if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 AM

I really appreciate the info on Sarpy Sam and have jumped over to his blog. I will broaden my search to include the Billings area per your suggestion. Thank you and if you think of any other ideas please don't hesitate.
Cowbelle

Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 AM

529 posts, read 1,894,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbelle View Post
I really appreciate the info on Sarpy Sam and have jumped over to his blog. I will broaden my search to the Billings area per your suggestion. Thank you and if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate.
You will most likely get some of the best and most honest information about Montana from those of us that have lived here all of our lives.

Sure, there are those, that "used to live here", or have only been here for a little while (10-15 years). Their info might not be as true to form as ours.

Any questions? just ask.

I've been all over the state, all of my life, and know many who might be scattered from one end of it to the other.

Montana is my home, and I know it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana