Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 31,054 times

Advertisements

Yes, another person currently living the daily grind of suburbia wishing it could all go away. Granted, moving to Montana doesn't solve that, but Wisconsin just has a lot against it. I only moved here due to work. Anyways, enough rambling... Am I serious? Hard to say. Still gathering information.
Areas of interest: in addition to MT, most of the rest of the NW USA.
Within MT: Kalispell (though i hear that's turning into yuppie-ville), Bozeman, Livingston.

Areas of concern: School Cutoff. My almost 4 year old daughter has a 9/13 birthday... three days behind the state cutoff. Does anyone know how the school districts in various areas deal with children slightly behind that cutoff? She's too dang smart to make her wait a whole year.

Jobs: Saw a couple of accountant type jobs (that's me) in Bozeman & Livingston, so we'll see if anything comes of that. Hubby is a Firefighter/EMT. I know the bigger departments in the Milwaukee area are VERY hard to get on with. Anyone know about fire jobs there? :-)

Dirt: I like to garden! Wisconsin's soil is heavy with clay. I know it's a little cooler there, but is veggie gardening possible? Do you have to do a lot of workup of the soil first?

Hills: I've seen the mountains, but do the hills extend into most of the towns/cities? Family likes to bike ride, but hills are killers at times. I'm too darn out of shape!

Thanks much to any and all that can help me out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I can answer a couple of the easier questions. As far as gardening is concerned that's not a problem at all. I think the weather where you're at is worse than Montana's because it's more humid and feels colder. Of course soil varies from place to place but my Mother has a big garden and they built a little greenhouse as well.
As far as the terrain is concerned it varies a great deal from one town to the next. Western Montana is the mountainous part of the state and most towns are situated in valleys although Butte is built partly on a fairly steep hill (my home town). As I've said to others on this forum I would also recommend Idaho. Boise is a good sized town and the economy is very good and the job situation is better than in Montana. Another beautiful town is Coeur d'Alene in northern Idaho. It's built on the edge of a lake and is very scenic. One of my best friends is a school teacher there and loves the area. If you're considering various parts of the Pacific NW but want to avoid big cities there are also very nice places in eastern Washington and they don't have a state income tax. However, I don't believe the economy is doing quite as well as it has been around Boise. You should take a trip and explore as much as you can. Also, Boise has a little bit milder climate than much of Montana. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,885 times
I would contend that Montana has a worker shortage and unemployment rate of less than 3%. We also have a huge state budget surplus. Our economy is very strong right now. Until last spring, I worked in both admissions & career services for a college, and we had no problem getting in-state jobs for any of our graduates.

Firefighting jobs for municipal departments are hard to come by, as they are in high demand. We have a lot of folks that do wildland firefighting who would like to get a steady job. Most of the larger cities do a collaborative statewide exam/test date for the paid city fire departments once a year. I think it's probably in June or July...I can't remember completely. We do have a lot of opportunities in wild land firefighting, but that is more seasonal.

You should have lots of opportunities in accounting. However, jobs are plentiful but the pay is not as great as what you might be accustomed to. You have picked the most expensive areas of Montana as your areas of interest. You could buy a house in Great Falls or Butte for half of what you might pay in Bozeman.

Most towns sit in valleys. Some towns have houses built up into the surrounding hills, but for the most part, the central portions of the larger cities are not hilly. Helena has a few minor hills. Butte is partially on a hill. Bozeman has one main hill on the outskirts of town. Part of the residential area of Missoula is built on a large hillside. Great Falls is largely flat. Kalispell is flat. For the most part, hills in town aren't an big issue.

Last edited by lorelei2873; 04-25-2007 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,331 times
Default Sandy

I recently moved from Atlanta to Billings and love it so far. I am accountant and found a good variety of job options here. I had interviews lined up before I even moved and landed a great job at a 25% higher salary than what I made in Atlanta. People had warned me that salaries were lower here but I don't see it in Billings, especially in the professional field. I am not sure about the job situation in the smaller towns though.

Billings is part flat, part hilly so your bike ride would depend on the part of town you ride in. We do have lots of parks and some decent bike trails as well.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
I agree about Lewistown....I've always liked Kalispel and Missoula too...Flathead Lake is awesome ....can't beat Glacier National Park for scenic beauty (Going to the Sun hwy is a must) ...also check out Glendive in the east ...nice town with wicked badlands nearby ....I also like Shelby ...it has a real western feel to it ....as for gardening ....growing season is relatively short but soils are good and lots of sunshine too...west of the continental divide it is milder around Libby ...even fruit is grown commercially in some areas

Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 PM

495 posts, read 492,879 times
TLorenDay.....
Forget the gardening, the mountains and all that other stuff, and I hate to sound old fashion and throw logic into the mix but, as they say "put the horse before the cart"..............find a job that you can make a living at FIRST and foremost, everything else wil fall into place.
Montana has a long and well founded history of eating up and spitting out people who come here with stars in their eyes, as such it's not really a place that you'd want to come to and temp fate by putting the cart before the horse.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 AM

9 posts, read 18,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy999 View Post
I recently moved from Atlanta to Billings and love it so far. I am accountant and found a good variety of job options here. I had interviews lined up before I even moved and landed a great job at a 25% higher salary than what I made in Atlanta. People had warned me that salaries were lower here but I don't see it in Billings, especially in the professional field. I am not sure about the job situation in the smaller towns though.

Billings is part flat, part hilly so your bike ride would depend on the part of town you ride in. We do have lots of parks and some decent bike trails as well.
Great to read about some of the opportunities in Billings, I'm thinking of moving there from out east where the burbs cant grow fast enough. Can you recommend a good realitor that you had any experience with? Thanks much for any help! TJ.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy999 View Post

Yes, there are those would-be sad-sacs that are always bemoaning the "low wages" in Montana...... trouble is that most of these hail from the west side (Kalispell/Missoula) where wages have always been traditionally lower.

The cities that have "got it goin' on", namely Billings and Great Falls, have always paid the highest throughout the entire state.

I'm not surprised at the fact that Billings can beat out Atlanta in wages.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
I wonder why wages in the flathead are lower. Any ideas giftshop? Could it be that the high paying jobs that did exist (timber production) were run out of business and all that are left for the most part are service jobs?

As for these "would-be sad-sacs, they are the ones trying to survive on 2 minimum wage paying jobs in a market where costs keep rising and for the most part I think they have a reason to bemoan the low wages don't you?
I don't ask these questions sarcastically, I really do wonder why the pay is higher in E. MT when it seems that all of the "money" is flocking to the Flathead.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,510 times
You might consider looking at the state jobs available in our capital city of Helena....it's a great town, housing is much more affordable than Bozeman, and state jobs give you great benefits. Accounting positions are often posted in the Helena Independent Review, helenair.com, our local paper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana