Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times

Advertisements

The tires may be an issue but for the rest, no you should be fine. Try it and if it doesn't stick well enough for you it is easy to change them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 27,059 times
I figured i shouldnt have too much of a problem,

this is the tire
http://www.cooperrehvid.ee/images/ba...AEAAHus244.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Nice tire for sand, dirt and mud but you will find that siping is key on ice, the big open blocks that your current tires have really won't help you much becasue you will have less tire on the ground at any one time. Also they have found that the more narrow tires work better on snow because they dig down instead of float on top of the snow. Go up to tirerack.com and look at the winter tires, they have a bunch of what look like slices in them so the tread block seperates and kind of spread to create a bunch of little "fingers" that grip the road.
We run Toyo Open Country tires on our truck and have them siped before we put them on. Good all around performance and the siping allows them to run cooler in the summer and grip better in the winter.

Here is what is is:

IMPROVED BRAKING!
Research has shown that the most effective braking power occurs immediately prior to losing traction. SIPING extends the window allowed for maximum braking power by giving the existing tread a helping hand. In the examples on the right, notice how the SIPED tire has dozens more gripping edges.

BETTER TRACTION!
The tread surface on your tire is made up of many smaller surfaces known as "Tread Blocks." The reason for so many surfaces is especially important when it comes to icy or wet road conditions. The tread Blocks get their gripping power not from their many smooth surfaces, but from the even more numerous sharp surrounding edges. SIPING provides more of these gripping edges.
HOW IS SIPING DONE?
SIPING is done by placing your tires (new or used) on a specially designed machine that rotates your tires while making small, virtually invisible 90 degree cuts in your tread. Only under very close inspection can the SIPES even be seen, and you're more likely to tell by your improved driving experience than by visual inspection.

WILL SIPING ADVERSELY AFFECT MY TIRE'S PERFORMANCE?
SIPING will not adversely affect your tires performance in any way. The tread on your tires retains all of its strength due to the patented spiral cutting process. This process leaves uncut areas known as Tie bars keeping your tread strong.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 PM

ok, i might have to check in to it, i will find out this winter and i may end up changing the tires. i have a set of orig military tires for this truck also.

Kinda hard to find 10.50 x 16.5 tires anymore

Truck 1¼ Ton M880 4x4 Series Dodge Pickup, 318 CI V8 Gasoline, Converted to a 4 Speed, about 7747 pounds

Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Well there's certainly no cars that will slow you down is there?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well there's certainly no cars that will slow you down is there?
hehe, nope its got an 8" lift, im putting a 15,000 pound winch on it also, it has VHF, UHF, and HF radios in it, Rear Detriot Locker, Front posis,

Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 PM

121 posts, read 391,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I spent my first winter here last year and it was MUCH milder than I expected. We only had one snow to speak of, and the accumulation was not much, but it did stick around for a few says and looked like a winter christmas card. I am in the Bitteroot Valley area near Missoula though, and they say the mountainss surrounding us keep a lot of the bitter winter weather out. I was realieved because I have to commute 30 miles to work in Missoula each day. Hope this helps! (P.S. the summers here are hot in the day, but cool off pleasantly at night.)
The Bitterroot is nothing like eastern Montana, LOL, it is a totally different climate. You should not assume to know about a place you've never been based on your limited experiences and knowledge of Montana; comments like yours mislead people and that just isn't right or fair.

Eastern Montana Winter--the bitter cold sweeps down out of the arctic with nothing to stop it.

Below zero temperatures common. Blowing and drifting snow common.

I've driven the highline, defroster running full bore and still I am scraping ice of the inside of my windshield because my defroster can't keep up.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 47,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace1231 View Post
My family & I are planning a move to eastern Montana in mid 2008 from central Alabama. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on adjusting to the colder climates. We enjoy the winters here but are concerned about the change.
Who is Andie McDowell, Alex?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
I love snowy winters. Georgia doesn't get enough snow in my opinion. Actually, the last time I haven't seen any decent accumulation(at least three inches) in years(and 3 inches in alot for Atlanta at all. Schools close after any amount of accumulation).

Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 33,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsteve View Post
Who is Andie McDowell, Alex?
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana