Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 PM

247 posts, read 576,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
Not to nitpick, but milk is not a good thing to use in comparison, because state governments artificially fix prices. Other foods might give a more realistic market comparison.

And when government makes a state minimum price for something like milk, it is indeed a TAX. Everyone pays more because of it. Evading it is a "crime."
Does anybody know that montana does not honor the expiration date on milk from the dairy??? Montana has there own expiration date for milk... my little sister manages a convience store and just told me that they have to charge more for milk due to the fact that montanas shortened expiration date causes them to dispose of milk far before any where else, FACT Montana expiration on milk is seven days from the time it leaves the cow, every other state is fourteen days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
Does anybody know that montana does not honor the expiration date on milk from the dairy??? Montana has there own expiration date for milk... my little sister manages a convience store and just told me that they have to charge more for milk due to the fact that montanas shortened expiration date causes them to dispose of milk far before any where else, FACT Montana expiration on milk is seven days from the time it leaves the cow, every other state is fourteen days...
Care to provide a link to that? Are you sure it's not just that store?

If that store is disposing of milk, then somebody is not ordering properly and restocking. Make the distributor deliver daily if need be, but don't blame it on the state.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Care to provide a link to that? Are you sure it's not just that store?

If that store is disposing of milk, then somebody is not ordering properly and restocking. Make the distributor deliver daily if need be, but don't blame it on the state.
the milk is brought out of washington, montana milk is expensive, before posting this I called my sister, she said they get it out of washington almost everyone does in montana.. there are very few dairies in montana... we were signing a petition a couple months, to try and get montana to honor the actual expiration date on the milk carton... and i ask her about daily deliveries and she said they can only get it once a week... and if they bought montana milk it would be around four dollars per gallon...

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

189 posts, read 335,785 times
It is true that Montana enforces pull dates two weeks shorter than WA state. The pretense for this is safety, of course. The real reason is to exclude competition from out of state.

I dug up an old link to a story from missoulan.com, but it no-workie now... it was a couple years old.

http://missoulian.com/articles/2008/08/26/news/local/news05.txt (broken link)

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
So, I guess, One reason to live in Montana is you'll never have spoiled milk.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
so, i guess, one reason to live in montana is you'll never have spoiled milk.
lol

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM

92 posts, read 315,950 times
Default Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post

Since moving back to tax-paying Wisconsin, I now buy my milk at Kwik Trip - a large chain of gas stations found in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. Last gallon I bought was $2.59... no tax (I guess they don't tax milk... some items in some places they just choose not to tax.. I'm still hazy on the whole rhyme and reasoning behind what they tax and what they don't). That's regular price there all the time. And I have a milk punch card. So after so many gallons I'll get one free.
l
That's one of my biggest criticisms about sales tax -- it is so inconsistent. The rules from state to state keep changing, so it can be difficult to determine what is taxed, and at what rate. Some states tax everything evenly across the board, other places tax items at different rates. In Illinois, food is taxed around 1%, while other items will generally get taxed around 8-10% (depending on which city you are in). However, the trick is to determine what constitutes as "food". Some items, such as soda pop is considered a luxury item and not "food", so it gets taxed at the higher rate.

Plus, there are even odd laws in how ordering items on-line can get taxed. I think it depends if the company (such as CDW or Amazon) have a location in that particular state and can charge sales tax or not.

When I was in Montana last, I was tempted to pick up an iPad so I could avoid the sales tax.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I don't live in Montana but I may make the move in the future. Currently I live in Lincoln, Nebraska but I am considering a move. A thread I started in the Nebraska Forum explains one reason why.
Yesterday I needed to buy a Top Up card for my Virgin Mobile phone. I was in one of the local grocery stores that sells various Cell Phone minute cards. They had a Virgin Top Up card for $30/400 minutes. When I paid for it at the register instead of the usual 7% sales tax that would equal $1.40 the total was $4.18 in taxes in addition to the $30 purchase price. This is the Cell Phone use tax that our city council passed recently. Now I realize taxes are necessary but I also feel that if there is ANY way a citizen can legally avoid paying a tax he has a duty to do it.

I have friends and relatives living in Montana where there is no sales tax. I pay $30 plus taxes every month to buy Virgin Mobile Top Up cards. I can have a relative buy 12 $30 Top Up cards for me in Montana for $360 plus a $.44 stamp. Buying the same cards here In Lincoln would cost me $410.61. In other words I can save $50.61 by buying them in Montana. It pays to have friends in different places.

GL2
wow dont you think there might be better reasons from moving from NE to MT than the price of some cheezy mobile phone card???

but 50.16 savings is pretty rad!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,181 times
Montana is definitely a personal freedom state. I miss it a lot. I wish the economy was better there, I would move back in a second. Nice to be in a place where a half hour drive from any city puts you by yourself, in the middle of wilderness or plains.

One Spring in Montana and you will find it hard to leave.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
Interesting to think about.. Strangely I've found that gallons of milk are cheaper at certain convenience stores here than they are at the grocery. Certain types of soft drinks and such also...

As for big ticket items like that F350 Crew cab king rancher... it is nice not to have that sales tax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana