Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times

Advertisements

Hey Alaska,
The U.S. Department of the Interior is looking for a wildlife biologist for their wolf recovery/management program at the Idaho Fish and Wildlife Office in Boise! I posted the info on the Idaho Forum, but you probably don't visit us there, so here it is:

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Two problems: You're probably not ready to apply, and the deadline is tomorrow, Dec.17! But you might be interested in reading the job description, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hey everybody -- there's Alaska -- don't let her get away!!

<steps back and watches stampede>
Nice job, Rez.

Do you also know how to catch an elephant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska961
....we are not Gods.
What!?!

Now wait just a darned minute there, young lady! You were doing fine right up until that last line. Don't be forgettin' WHOM you are talkin' to here, 'kay?

mg

Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
alaska961 it is really nice to see someone who actually gets it and understands the wolf problem we have here

I was one of the picketers and protesters when they were shoving the wolf introduction down our throats in the 1990s before they infected the state with them.
I have fought against them from day one with no success. I am proud to be the owner of the first wolf hunting license sold in Helena last year. Didn't get to shoot one, but the intention was pure.

Excellent post and I am sure you would have no problem fitting in here if you decide to move to Montana.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Nice job, Rez.

Do you also know how to catch an elephant?
I catch us a whole durn state, the biggest state of 'em all, and you wanna know if I can catch a wee beastie like an oilephant?!!

'Course, I did mention those woolly mammoths (we have enough fresh-frozen material to clone those, easy), and predicting makes it happen...

Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I catch us a whole durn state, the biggest state of 'em all, and you wanna know if I can catch a wee beastie like an oilephant?!!
I was thinking about the model that begins with digging a big hole and filling it full of ashes....

Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Hmm. Who's diggin' the hole? It needs an awful big hole. And if we BBQ the elephant, won't the hole be full of ashes afterward? Sounds like a job for ElkHunter and his trusty BBQ pit!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 PM

52 posts, read 79,674 times
Clark Fork Fantast,
Thank you very much for the information on the job. You were so right...I am not ready for it yet, but it was great reading all about the job and it gets me excited to see it all written out like that knowing that someday that could be me

As for not visiting the Idaho forum....I am still trying to figure out the basics of this before I venture too far.....by the way......nice to meet you

Monty Garlic? I really think you and I will become good friends because your sense of humor makes me laugh my a.. off

MTSilvertip,
I enjoyed reading your response although I would like to clear up a couple of things. I do understand where you all or most of you are coming from however and this is a huge however I do not have enough true facts to come to one side of the fence or the other yet. I can say though that I have respect and empathy for the folks that are forced to deal with this issue and if you must shoot a wolf to save your family or livelyhood than by all means do it if it becomes legal....crap I can't believe those words came out of my mouth

I am not afraid or worried to be on one side or the other I just can't make a decision based on HEAR SAY from both sides until I LEARN more from both sides....this is what makes me me

Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sure, people are killing wolves. For that matter, people are killing people. People are robbing banks. So let me rephrase it:

The state of Wyoming sued Fish and Wildlife after the federal agency refused to accept the state's plan, which would allow unregulated killing of the animals over all but the northwest part of the state. Currently, all of Wyoming's wolves are listed as a federally endangered species, meaning it's unlawful to kill wolves anywhere in the state.

And yes, I will take out a wolf if it threatens me or another human being. Course, I would take out a human for the same reasons.
I live in Ontario Canada and we have lots and lots of wolves here. The last time a wolf threatened a person???? 1650 maybe, LOL. They are absolutely no danger to people. They are definitely a danger to livestock but that's what insurance is for. What the hell, just kill off all the animals. They all cause us some kind of hassle somewhere down the line. I travel through states that have no wolves but have an incredible problem with deer all over the place. They could really use a few wolves to keep the population in check. It's humans who are the real danger to this planet and everything on it. Maybe we should be shooting a few of those eh???

Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I live in Ontario Canada and we have lots and lots of wolves here. The last time a wolf threatened a person???? 1650 maybe, LOL. They are absolutely no danger to people. They are definitely a danger to livestock but that's what insurance is for. What the hell, just kill off all the animals. They all cause us some kind of hassle somewhere down the line. I travel through states that have no wolves but have an incredible problem with deer all over the place. They could really use a few wolves to keep the population in check. It's humans who are the real danger to this planet and everything on it. Maybe we should be shooting a few of those eh???
That's fine for Canada. You have my blessing. But I live in the USA and we have established a long practice of the Fish and Game and trust in their work and MANAGEMENT of game.

We'll do our thing, you do yours.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I live in Ontario Canada and we have lots and lots of wolves here. The last time a wolf threatened a person???? 1650 maybe, LOL.
Um...

CBC News - Saskatchewan - Ontario man killed in wolf attack, coroner's jury finds

Six injured in rare wolf attack

Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And where's the link to that news article about the two guys who had to abandon their elk carcass due to wolves, just last month?

Yeah, it's pretty rare (your chances of being killed by ANY animal are about the same as dying from falling out of bed, about 1 in 2 million -- and the most common killer is deer!) but it's rare partly because we're both armed and cautious, and partly because over most of civilized history, wolves haven't directly competed with man for territory. As more back-country gets converted from hunting to "backpackers and hikers only", I think we can expect to see that change, for the worse.

Last edited by Reziac; 12-17-2010 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: more thinkin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana