Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times

Advertisements

As anyone who lives in Montana knows, the weather can be severe and threaten life and limb at any time.

The past week of cold, snow, and high winds in some areas have caused some major problems for people just getting to town for grocieries. People can be stranded, fuel can run low, power can go out, you really have to be prepared for what nature thows at us at any time, but especially during the winter.

As usual, I have only seen this story in the Billings Gazette.

Blizzard rescue gives couple reason to be thankful

I am very familier with Big Timber as that is where my parents live and Howie Road where my sister and her family live.

I talked to my father on Friday and his 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 pickup was completely buried by the drifting snow. There is a drift over the 6 foot corral fence, and his farm tractor is only showing the steering wheel and seat above the drift it is in. Conversely, his road was blown bare so he could drive the passenger car into town while the 4 wheel drives are all burried in snow

He thought they only received about 16 inches of snow, but the 70 mile an hour winds drifted it into huge, compacted drifts.

Big Timber is a great little town on the Yellowstone River with the Crazy Mountains to the North and the Absaroka - Beartooth to the south.
The only Platinum/Paladium mine in North America is there. Mostly small agriculture, it is a pretty quiet place.
But when something happens, people come out of the woodwork to lend a hand.

It is just one more great Montana Community, and the folks that live there, just as in other innumerable towns around Montana, remind me of a quote from a general at the battle of Iwo Jima during World War II when he said, "Uncommon valor was a common virtue",

In Small Town Montana, "Uncommon People are a Common but Irreplacable gift of Providence"

Thumbs up to all the folks involved in this rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
A wonderful story! Thanks for posting the link.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Wow. That's one unlucky/lucky fella. Good thing he has good neighbours!!

Used to be in weather like that, rural folks would call around to make sure everyone got home or wound up wherever they were expected to be. If they weren't there, someone would go looking for 'em. Methinks with the winters coming back up to old-time standards, this just might be a good habit to get into again.

The past-its-bedtime part of my brain thinks the article should be retitled,
"Big Timber man molested in snowbank by barbed-wire fence"

Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 AM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Great story. Sometimes I wish I could be back in a little more rural area, but practically it wouldn't make sense, so north Helena will have to do. I hope our neighbors have the same kindness and fortitude if the case calls for it.

Our old neighbors and dear friends from wv were all cut from that cloth. Never any question asked, nothing expected in return except if they needed the same. My old friend would jump in front of a bus for me or my family, and we'd do the same.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
You know I hate to be a Polly-Anna but I think this is just a common trait here in Montana.
The idea of self reliance and helping your neighbor is here because you can be left to your own wits.
I know it has reinforce my faith in humanity. Montana has been good for my spirit. It is not perfect but that home waits for us in the afterlife.

That saying my special little friend lives in the glove compartment in case I run into that occasional bad neighbor.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
You know I hate to be a Polly-Anna but I think this is just a common trait here in Montana.
The idea of self reliance and helping your neighbor is here because you can be left to your own wits.
Well, yeah.... and it helps when the environment exercises those wits, making 'em grow up strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
That saying my special little friend lives in the glove compartment in case I run into that occasional bad neighbor.
Just think of it as helping that bad neighbour discover the afterlife.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
LOL!
or the occasional yote

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
Default I am thankful.

I'm thankful that I don't have to worry so much now because my wife will have new tires on her car before this day is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana