Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeHimAway View Post
Reziac, well, it's not like a I have a blinking sign over my head that says, "Shoot the trannies!" But, I'm 5'5 and lack facial hair.
This may be a dumb suggestion, but wouldn't Rogaine work? paint it on carefully and see if it'll produce a mustache. I know it'll grow hair other places besides on your head if you're not careful with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambbb View Post
I suggest Missoula because it is the most liberal city in the state. It's actually almost like a small Portland (side note: I have actually lived in Portland too).
One problem with "liberal" is that it tends to actually be more conformist to its own ideals -- I've seen "liberal" places where if you just wanted to live an ordinary life as yourself, that was not allowed; you HAD to be a militant activist LGBTQWhatever or you weren't welcome and would probably be forcibly outed (ie. made an example of).

Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
... I know it'll grow hair other places besides on your head if you're not careful with it!
This sounds alarmingly like "the Voice of Experience."

Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, to the OP: I second the idea that Missoula would be more suitable or to your liking. In addition to reasons posted by others, the weather factor would be highly significant for you, based on your comments. Missoula's winters are not as harsh as those east of the divide.

I must confess ignorance when it comes to personal conditions such as that which you describe, and can only imagine that living with it must be difficult on several levels. Most people will have to learn to cope with something they've been dealt; few will have to deal with the attendant societal concerns that you mention.

So, good luck to you, wherever you land.

mg

Last edited by montygarlic; 12-13-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
This sounds alarmingly like "the Voice of Experience."

Just sayin'.
Nope, not me, ain't never used the stuff. Got a headful and don't need no more.

But I remember when it first came out (and was still prescription only, now it's OTC) there were warnings to wear gloves when applying it, cuz it could give you hairy palms!!

(And consider the image THAT produces, should Rogaine be involved...!! )

Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM

415 posts, read 560,826 times
To quote Reziac, "Gender dysphoria is very real, and probably has a solid genetic basis (consider all the ways the X and Y chromosomes can mess up that we know of!)"

The Canadian military recognizes this, and for that reason, will actually pay for members seriously wishing a sex change operation. Several (I don't know the exact number) members have undergone this situation. I personally know one who underwent the procedure.

Last edited by KingstonBob; 12-15-2010 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: original quote did not come out properly

Old 06-14-2014, 07:25 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

I figure if you just live as regular guys, don't make any big deal or advertise about being TG, no one will care one way or the other, beyond some folks being curious if they happen to notice it. It's when you smack people upside the head with your "differences" that they're liable to take offense and decide they don't understand and maybe don't like it. (You wouldn't like it if someone who'd found religion came over and shoved your nose into a bible first thing, eh? Other folks won't like it any better if you punch their nose with some gender issue.)

This seems to be a resounding theme with those who are LGBT. They feel they need to out themselves to everyone and are shocked, horrified and devastated because not everyone wants to join them in a group Kumbaya hug that lasts for moments.

My first experience with this was at an auto repair shop. I had been sitting in the waiting room for an hour or so along with other patrons and in came two guys who were huffing and puffing about their car issues. One of them announced loudly to the room "Oh, we're gay".
The room went dead silent and everyone, including myself, paid them no more attention until they started arguing between themselves. An older black woman told them to shut their damned mouths.

I haven't thought about that until this thread and will never understand why someone would walk into a public waiting area and behave so. Maybe they did it often.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
My first experience with this was at an auto repair shop. I had been sitting in the waiting room for an hour or so along with other patrons and in came two guys who were huffing and puffing about their car issues. One of them announced loudly to the room "Oh, we're gay".
LOL! Oh man... being it was an auto repair place, someone shoulda come back with, "So what kind of car do you drive?"

Quote:
The room went dead silent and everyone, including myself, paid them no more attention until they started arguing between themselves. An older black woman told them to shut their damned mouths.
Good for her! Seriously, people, would you announce to random strangers what style of underwear you have on? Would random strangers care??

Quote:
I haven't thought about that until this thread and will never understand why someone would walk into a public waiting area and behave so. Maybe they did it often.
I think it's a lot like how young adults just out of the nest go through a couple years (usually in their early 20s) where they loudly "claim their space" in the world, by telling everyone they can corner all sorts of personal stuff at any opportunity. It's not abnormal; it's just a stage some folks take longer to outgrow.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 AM

12 posts, read 46,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeHimAway View Post
but I'm gonna be pissed if someone refers to me as a woman. It's that simple.
You probably will get called a woman. Like you said, you have no facial hair, and you're born with two X chromosomes. Whether you identify yourself that way or not, we as a species are geared towards recognizing and dividing others by gender. You say you'll get "pissed," but the fact that you bring it up implies that you're expecting it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspariNorth View Post
You probably will get called a woman. Like you said, you have no facial hair, and you're born with two X chromosomes. Whether you identify yourself that way or not, we as a species are geared towards recognizing and dividing others by gender. You say you'll get "pissed," but the fact that you bring it up implies that you're expecting it.
True, and getting pissed isn't going to help that. Gently correcting the speaker is the only positive thing you can do, and if the correction doesn't 'take', ignore 'em. If you make an angry correction, that's just going to make them think anyone with gender dysphoria is a prick (because humans are also wired to make generalizations based on a single case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana