Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times

Advertisements

Both states have a "cowboy" culture and a Frontier outlook and are considered country/"redneck". is there any sort of connection spiritually between MT and TX iyo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Having lived in both, I would say no.

The cowboy from Texas and the cowboy from Montana are two completely different animals.

The cattle are different. The terrain is different. The weather is different. The major dangers are different. The hardships are different.

The job is similar.

The other thing you must identify is the term Cowboy. Remember that Cowboy is an occupation, not a mode of dress. It's also a complete mind set. I've seen guys who wore western garb, work on a ranch their whole life, and they are in no way, a Cowboy. I've also seen a guy dressed in a t-shirt and pants, tennis shoes, and a ball cap and he was more Cowboy then most.

This creates a completely different mentality of Western living. So even though both have a Cowboy Culture, they are much different.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-19-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
I've been here since June and the folks in MT are quite varied. I've met a few true cowboys, and they certainly aren't the stereotypical 'rednecks'. I've met some rednecks but they aren't the norm. Mostly I've met decent, hard working 'ordinary folks'.

I've been fortunate to have traveled most of the Eastern part of the state since I've been here; from Havre to Red Lodge, Billings to Westby, Plentywood and most points in between. My current opinion is that most of the Montanans I've met are VASTLY different than any Texan I've met. Not saying that is good nor bad- they are just different.

And I come from West Virginia where stereotypes ABOUND, generally spread from people who have never set foot in the state but use one or two soundbites or some third hand fairy tale from people claiming to have been given the 'Ned Beatty treatment' from some snaggle-toothed hillbilly in the hollows of West By God Virginia.

And most of it is pure, unadulterated bulls*it.

That about sums up my opinion of babble like this.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

451 posts, read 999,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
... fairy tale from people claiming to have been given the 'Ned Beatty treatment' from some snaggle-toothed hillbilly in the hollows of West By God Virginia.

And most of it is pure, unadulterated bulls*it.

That about sums up my opinion of babble like this.
[mg listens to the faint strains of ♬♪ "Dueling Banjos" ♪♫ in the background]

Thanks, Threerun! I guess my computer screen really did need that coffee rinse. I can read so much better now...

As for Cowboy culture and kinship with Texas, there are some similarities and some differences as has already been pointed out. I have cowboy and wannbe cowboy friends and acquaintences in both states and they are as varied a bunch as Chaucer's "motely' crew.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
Wink Many Kin-ships.

Montana shares a lot of something with several states including Texas, Alaska, West Virginia and even Nebraska.
I do know that a Hillbilly or a Redneck image are shared stereotypical images.
I also do know the real difference between a Redneck and a Hillbilly.

A Redneck is "the real McCoy" and The Hillbilly is part goat.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
So yesterday I was teaching my son to track a cottontail on horseback; you know- showing the difference between a large hare and a smaller mountain cotton tail or eastern cottontail.. Showing him where the bunny walked, then hopped- then took off on a long stride..

So we track him for about 100 yards then I spy him under a juniper. So I tell my son to hold him there and run back to the garage and get the pellet rifle.

So later that night I'm teaching my son how to skin and dress the rabbit, dredge it in flour, brown in bacon grease then simmer it in a saucepan with some cream of celery soup, onions and a little white wine.

So do I have a kinship with

a) Cowboy
b) Redneck
c) Hillbilly
d) a gourmet game chef

Please let me know.

Signed-
Confused in Montana

(PS- just joshing about the horse bit.. )

Old 12-25-2010, 11:59 PM

198 posts, read 499,377 times
Having lived in Texas and spent lots of time in Montana, I'd say they are VERY different. (Montana is much better. ) I don't consider Montana to be redneck at all. The people are in Montana are pretty friendly, and contrary to the stereotypes, people in Texas really aren't.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
The vast majority of Texans are urban dwellers who share almost nothing in outlook, mannerisms, lifestyle or experiences with Montanans. The portion that would seem to share similarities with Montana -- West Texas -- is sparsely populated and seems like a completely different state or even country from where most Texans live and work.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
If you were to put a bunch of Texas cowboys, and Montana cowboys in a bar, you would most likely end up with a bunch of bruised up, hungover new friends the day after.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 78,209 times
Dont mess with Texas.....its not nice to pick on retards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana