Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times

Advertisements

Okay all you Montana folks, I need your knowledge

Where can one live that is affordable?

I am looking for a very small and modest house with at least 3-5 acres. Prefferably west of the Continental Divide.
Where I can earn a livable wage, working 2 jobs is not a problem.

Does anyone know of such an area

I love the Swan Valley and Flathead area. But, yikes, cha ching!

Part of me says to just find a job there, pack 'er up and give 'er a try.
But, I worry I will loose everything due to finances.

Thanks!

Last edited by Atalanta; 08-20-2006 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Added sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM

78 posts, read 744,128 times
Default Your question needs more information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Okay all you Montana folks, I need your knowledge

Where can one live that is affordable?

I am looking for a very small and modest house with at least 3-5 acres. Prefferably west of the Continental Divide.
Where I can earn a livable wage, working 2 jobs is not a problem.

Does anyone know of such an area

I love the Swan Valley and Flathead area. But, yikes, cha ching!

Part of me says to just find a job there, pack 'er up and give 'er a try.
But, I worry I will loose everything due to finances.

Thanks!
Affordable to one person isn't necessarily the same as affordable to another. Your question is totally unanswerable without some parameters. Are you looking for 3-5 acres with house for $50000? $500,000? $5M? Also do you care if it's barren land or are you looking for hills, forest, mountains? In town (or near, or on edge) or remote? Provide more specifics.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 PM

15 posts, read 86,833 times
Montana and Livable Wage generally do not go together. Unless you are a contractor, or a medical professional, or a realtor.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 16,622 times
Default victor, mt wages and rent

I would like to know that also. I am looking for a rental in Victor with mountain views, close mountains. But can you earn a living there?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTer View Post
Affordable to one person isn't necessarily the same as affordable to another. Your question is totally unanswerable without some parameters. Are you looking for 3-5 acres with house for $50000? $500,000? $5M? Also do you care if it's barren land or are you looking for hills, forest, mountains? In town (or near, or on edge) or remote? Provide more specifics.
Well, I guess when someone says affordable they are not talking $500,000 or 5 million.

Close proximety to the mountains on the west side of the divide.
Affordable meaning 3 to 5 acres around $180,000.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,391 times
Default affordable place to live

My advice would be to call around to various real estate offices and see what they have available or have them get some info for you. The other option is to use the internet and search. Montana property is very expensive and the wages are low.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
My advice would be to call around to various real estate offices and see what they have available or have them get some info for you. The other option is to use the internet and search. Montana property is very expensive and the wages are low.

I have, and I keep finding out just that, very expensive and wages low.

I was wondering if someone here could tell me something of the different.
If there was an area in Montana that was not so harsh in that area.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,584 times
roundup,montana is about 50 miles north of billings[which means its commutable]there are places there with 20 or so acres in the 75k to 150k range.its actually kind of pretty there for eastern montana as you are in the bull mountains.billings is the most populated city in mt so there are jobs though wages arent very high but that is true for most places and jobs in montana.go on realtor.com s website and you can see some good examples.roundup is a a very small town though,not enough action for a lot of people

Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 AM

922 posts, read 1,909,565 times
Cool mt wages & property

Most All Threads Will Say The Same Thing , Property Is High Priced,
Wages For The Weekly Working Stiff Is Low. If You Cant Understand That -try- Stay Where You Are Till You Do Understand.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 AM

8 posts, read 41,957 times
Montana wages are incredibly low. That said you can find affordable housing. The more remore the more affordable. If you can withstand a fifty mile commute or so, you'll be fine. The ticket is to find a realtor that is willing to work for you. I had a very positive experience [cut]. They found me my current home in Geraldine, Mt, and I love it here.

Last edited by Marka; 08-28-2006 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana