Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,936 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving my family from Calgary, AB to Texas in the next few weeks. We moved up in the summer with a small Uhaul behind our Honda Pilot. It worked flawlessly but now on the return trip, I'm trying to figure out the road conditions throughout Montana and Wyoming. I've done some searching around but have no experience driving in the winter in these states.

My travel path is:
Calgary, AB -> Great Falls, MT -> Billings, MT -> Sheridan, WY -> Casper, WY -> Cheyenne, WY -> Ft. Collins, CO -> Amarillo, TX -> Houston, TX

Anyone have any experience with these roadways and their typical conditions. I understand that winter conditions are never 100% and can change quickly but I'm looking into whether I should attempt this trip or spend the extra money and fly. Since the extra trip is over $2000 it is no easy decision. Safety is my main concern.

Please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
The unfortunate part is that during this time of year, there is no "Typical" to the weather.

For Wyoming. Log onto the Wyoming DOT site and sign up for 511 Notify. Give your email address if you want emails, or your cell phone number if you want txt messages. Pick your route from the list. Now, when an alert comes out, they will send you a email/txt message letting you know if it's reduced visibility, blowing snow, slick in spots, black ice, road closures, etc. If you sign up now, you'll get an idea of the road conditions as they are every day and you'll be able to plan better.

At most, while traveling, I've been stuck overnight due to blizzard conditions or white out conditions. Never any longer then over night.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,936 times
Thanks for the reply. I notice that several Wyoming roads have restrictions on small trailers at this time so that makes my trip much harder. I'm not certain how often these restrictions are lifted but I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 AM

214 posts, read 601,595 times
I've done these winter travels through these states and Alberta before. Plan to have extra hotel money because they can close down these highways due to weather on a dime. I think Wyoming has the gates on the highway and you have to turn around to get back to the proceeding town. But usually they'll have a notice on one of those hi-tech signs with current conditions ahead letting you know. If the hotels are full due to major storms they'll have shelters set up in community buildings for sleeping. It's best to time your trip with a thaw in the weather if your not on a schedule. I've had times, like you might, where the weather is pretty good and you won't have a problem at all. You have to be very patient driving on the trip you'll be taking and not get nervous about the slow progress. Think of it as an adventure. I've met some interesting people in the past being stuck in motels for days due to highways closing. I like to stay at the motels with a bar inside if it's a major storm and there's one around. The motels become an oasis of story telling plus you get to meet the locals. Flying is for wimps!

Last edited by Jbechtel; 01-06-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Man, it seems so weird, having grown up in MT back when the winters were a lot worse than most today (tho this year seems to be trying to revert to type) ... that the roads would EVER be closed. Back then, no road was considered 'closed' unless even the snowplow couldn't find the roadbed. Those gates above Livingston were downright newfangled, and only happened cuz that was a stupid place to route a highway that takes truck traffic (high crosswinds can blow ya right off it).

Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Calgary, AB -> Great Falls, MT -> Billings, MT -> Sheridan, WY -> Casper, WY -> Cheyenne, WY -> Ft. Collins, CO -> Amarillo, TX -> Houston, TX

Calgary to GtF likely no real problem, unless it's actively storming at the time.

GtF to Billings, depends how you go. East of GtF thru Lewistown has long isolated stretches, and is very likely to be icy (I've seen that like a sheet of glass all the way from Lewistown to Belt) and much more likely to have snow than the longer route south thru Helena/Townsend/Three Forks/Bozeman thence to Billings. The Bozeman route is usually good except it's typically icy on the hill as you come down Hwy 287 toward I-90, north of Three Forks. (Do NOT get tempted to follow the Interstate over from Helena to Butte, that's way worse.)

From Billings south through Wyoming is about as good a winter route as there is but you can still hit nastiness, especially once you get to the more plains areas -- plains blizzards make mountain storms look like a weak novice effort. I'm sure you've seen a few in Calgary yourself.

I recall from a previous discussion that going east from FtCollins and coming into Amarillo from the north cuts around some big hills, and it's less isolated than the more western cutoff through New Mexico (I've been that way, and there's miles and miles of absolutely nothing and no traffic, so you could sit for a while if something went worng).

Anyway, good luck!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Forgot to mention these useful sites:
Montana Highway Cameras
Montana Road Conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana