Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,085 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I live in Europe and I wanted to visit Montana this year. I want to stay some months, but I have a limited budget! What is the best method for cheap lodging in Montana?

I would like to stay in West Yellowstone (for a short period, just to visit the Yellowstone National Park) and Missoula, I would also like to visit the Glacier National Park, but I don't know what town around Glacier is the best to stay at!

I would be happy if you help me!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM

19,783 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Cheapest is a tent, sleeping bag and backpack (and I'm not being funny). Spend the money on transportation and eating between the places you want to stay, and stay at campgrounds that have showers and are close to stores for provisions

There may be some hostels in that area as well, but I have never stayed at one myself..

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,435 times
Define limited budget... Not trying to be rude, but that comment reminds me of my college roommate, who tried to be cheap, and then when I took him camping "on a budget" called his father in Switzerland who was well to do, and got $25K out of a phone call... guess I scared him, but us old Army Rangers have a way of being resourceful! lol

That was a very long time ago.. If a person want's to make it in MT these days it's all about 1 or 3 things... Either you have money and can sustain yourself, or you have a niche that you can fill, or you must work VERY hard.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 01-07-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
David, first of all, watch the dollar exchange rate. It has been rising now for a couple of months, and may keep going. So you may want to buy dollars now for your travel money!
If you rely on using a credit card, you're at the mercy of whatever exchange rate is in effect when your bills come in. Sometimes that gamble pays off, sometimes it doesn't!

Next, are you planning to rent a car, or go by bus, like many Europeans do? You may be able to save $ by buying a bus pass in Europe.

Count on at least $60 a night for a cheap motel (Motel6, Super8). If you download Google Earth and select "Lodging" (I think),and follow the little blue bed symbol on the map, you should even be able to see what's available in each town. It'll make it easier for you to plan ahead. I agree that camping out is the cheapest way, but I wouldn't recommend it if it is your first trip to the US. You need to be a seasoned traveler over here and know your way around, to follow that route. Or very lucky! Been there, done that myself, a long time ago. And the distances over here can be deceptive to many Europeans. Montana towns with lodging may well be hours apart. We had European friends visiting who thought they could make a slow, scenic afternoon drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles because they looked close on the CA map they were carrying! Like from Amsterdam to the Hague! But have fun planning your trip!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,085 times
Hello!

Thank you for your answers!

I wouldn't really want to camp in Montana. I'd like tos tay in Motels or Hotels, but they shoudln't be too expensive. Thank you for your suggestion with Google Earth!

Do you think Montana is a good state to visit?

A friend of mine (From South Dakota) told me to visit Montana, that's why I want to go there.

David

Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,159 times
Montana is the best state to visit!

However, I will caution you that in summer motels in Western Montana jack their rates through the roof. "Budget" motels in Missoula or Kalispell, for example, will still run you $70-80 per night. Plan ahead, too -- I know this makes the trip less fun but you have a much better chance of finding a room at a good price if you book in advance.

Around Glacier, I like Whitefish and East Glacier. A variety of accommodations are available in each.

Hostels unfortunately are few and far between in Montana. For Missoula, I've heard good things about this place: Welcome to Hutchins Hostel :: Missoula, MT

A word about credit cards: In addition to being at the mercy of the exchange rate, most cards charge per-transaction international currency conversion fees. If you want to use credit cards, call around before you leave to find out which one offers the best deals for international transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana