Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Our 2 labs put up with them. they were getting good at snapping them out of the air and then eating them.
Tried spraying them with Off and they did not like that one bit. Deet is supposed to deter them but did not phase them a bit.
I was just browsing this thread and if you don't mind my note.... DEET is potentially harmful to dogs and should not be used on dogs at all.

Here is a blurb about it from the ASPCA web site:

"The use of products containing DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) on pets is NOT recommended. Dogs (and cats) are very sensitive to DEET and may develop neurologic problems if DEET-containing problems are applied to them.

- The use of products containing concentrated essential oils such as tea tree oil (melaleuca oil), pennyroyal oil, and d-limonine is also not recommended. Concentrates of these products can cause serious health problems in pets, such as weakness, paralysis, liver injury, and seizures. Besides, the effectiveness of these products in repelling mosquitoes is not proven
."

Sorry to cut in - just wanted to point this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,471 times
We were concerned about just that.. We stopped at a vet in Anaconda and asked and she advised she used it on her dogs and it was no problem.
So we tried it and found it was a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I was just browsing this thread and if you don't mind my note.... DEET is potentially harmful to dogs and should not be used on dogs at all.

Here is a blurb about it from the ASPCA web site:

"The use of products containing DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) on pets is NOT recommended. Dogs (and cats) are very sensitive to DEET and may develop neurologic problems if DEET-containing problems are applied to them.

- The use of products containing concentrated essential oils such as tea tree oil (melaleuca oil), pennyroyal oil, and d-limonine is also not recommended. Concentrates of these products can cause serious health problems in pets, such as weakness, paralysis, liver injury, and seizures. Besides, the effectiveness of these products in repelling mosquitoes is not proven
."

Sorry to cut in - just wanted to point this out.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 24,271 times
Eastern montana has rattle snakes. I am born and raised in Helena, and have NEVER seen a snake here! I lived in FL for 3 years for school, and WHOA, talk about bugs, snakes, creepy. You don't have to worry about that if you are in town, and even out hiking...not really an issue.
Montana is a great place, it's good to get some ridiculous ideas out of the way, and get a clear pic of how wonderful this state is!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 41,478 times
Default Snakes? yep

My husband and I recently purchased some land outside Helena. On our first day walking our property my city-boy husband almost stepped on a rattlesnake! Man did he beat feet back down the mountain!! We were up on top of the land looking over some rocky outcroppings though - we hope they stay up there. Most everyone we talk to though says they have never seen a snake so hopefully it was a one time occurance! Then they ask, "did you shoot it?"

Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM

47 posts, read 202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-dogs View Post
Then they ask, "did you shoot it?"
Well...Did you?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 41,478 times
No, I would have been afraid of ricochet off the rocks hitting us or our dogs!! Plus, we were unsure if we were allowed to shoot there until we spoke to some neighbors. However, now that we were told we should have, I make no guarantees for the next time....

Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 AM

989 posts, read 3,525,755 times
I was on a horse ride Tuesday and had a rattler strike at my horses left front leg. I was looking down when it happened and saw the whole thing. He missed by about 6 inches. The colt was not bothered by it. I jumped down to kill the snake but couldnt find a a good rock so when the snake lined out I stomped him and broke his back. After taking his rattles I coiled him up on my neighors walking bridge and left him to surprise the the old boy.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 20,696 times
Default Rattlesnakes...

My husband works outside and during the 9 years we lived in Kalispell he only saw one small garden snake. Rattlesnakes exist on the East side of the Rocky Mountains, especially in drier prairie lands. We fought snakes in Virginia and you always watched for snakes when hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains -- don't miss that at all!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 32,109 times
Never ran into a snake in the woods in western Montana, but I did on a hiking trail in Billings (eastern MT) and one in the Yellowstone River in Billings. Also, I guess I did see a little one swimming in the river by Lolo (by Missoula - western MT) last summer, but he was just as scared of me as I was of him.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM

79 posts, read 262,223 times
Only snakes ive seen so far are little ones that climb in my pond and try to eat my goldfish LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana