Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:35 AM

75 posts, read 521,825 times

Advertisements

Unless you are a full blooded American Indian, of a Montana tribe, you too are an unwelcome visitor to this state. Not everyone from California is of the opinion that Montana must be Californicated. Try having a little compassion for your fellow human beings, and don't pre-judge a person because of their origin or color.

Thank god this is America. Where a person is free to live where they choose, work where they choose, and worship as they see fit.

Soon to be Montanaman.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 231,674 times
Default just one thought for you....

I'm not sure how this can be applied to your logic in the above statement but even the current Montana Indian tribes migrated here.... Today's Indian people came from areas in the MidWest and ran off the previous "Native" tribes.... and so on.. and so on it goes... So many of us are as "Native" as they are....

So just be ready to be good Neighors and you might make this area your "homeland.... (til we get run out by whatever culture will follow.... lol!)

Happy trails!!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
I think the frustration comes from SOME of the people who have moved to Montana from Califorinia with lots of money and are pushing up house/land/tax prices for those who have been able to live there for years and or generations comfortably.
And know they are struggling and their children may have a hard time at starting a family due to the financial strain.
And their culture is changing.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:12 PM

9 posts, read 87,077 times
What you all have to understand is that there is a generation of people out there that are being hurt by the "California Dream". The "30's something" families are just getting their motor running when they find out that they can't even afford the fuel to put it in drive. So they end up stuck in a situation like this: Renting in their home town from a 40's or 50's something person at an over-inflated rate and getting by, paycheck to paycheck. Can't save any real money since life (like starting a family before it's too late) seems to drain your savings. The circle goes around and around. It's a hard reality to live with. So bitterness sets in when you look to places like So. Oregon, Western Montana, Eastern Wa.(I not sure if Ca. has discovered that yet) and places in Id. and find that their last chance to start some place has just shot up in price...why? Well, as someone put it in another thread, the law of supply and demand. So, your only chance to hope the supply increases, and it does. Problem is, the word is out and the "Dreamer's" beat you to it. Contractors know this so the base amount for the supply goes up as well. Nice, now your outta luck, and stuck having to rent. Don't get me wrong, I am a conservative Republican who believes in capitalism. But capitalism at what cost? The 30 somethings will become more and more frustrated, demand higher wages from the state and private companies, the bubble grows larger and larger then, someday I think soon, it will burst. My only fear in all of this is, what will it look like after the bubble breaks? In the mean time, Mr or Ms. Ca. Dreamer do me a favor, stop paying asking price for a house that is $100,000 over priced. I grew up in these areas and know what these houses are really worth. Give a thought to those who are coming up behind you and save yourself some cash in the same time. It looks like a win/win situation to me? We can do this without the doom and gloom scenario, but it starts with you, any of you who are buying a house. As consumers we should be controlling the market...(I'll get off my soap box)...One more thing...small one...If someone waves at you, in these smaller parts of the US. That means Hi!.....wave back. Good luck to us all.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:23 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman1 View Post
Unless you are a full blooded American Indian, of a Montana tribe, you too are an unwelcome visitor to this state. Not everyone from California is of the opinion that Montana must be Californicated. Try having a little compassion for your fellow human beings, and don't pre-judge a person because of their origin or color.

Thank god this is America. Where a person is free to live where they choose, work where they choose, and worship as they see fit.

Soon to be Montanaman.
AMEN!....................

Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I think the frustration comes from SOME of the people who have moved to Montana from Califorinia with lots of money and are pushing up house/land/tax prices for those who have been able to live there for years and or generations comfortably.
And know they are struggling and their children may have a hard time at starting a family due to the financial strain.
And their culture is changing.
Here is the reverse. The poeple coming with money and buying are also bringing money in too. Which results in more jobs too I'll say what I tell my kids. Don't like the job situation, "education, education, education"

Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 AM

75 posts, read 521,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localyocal View Post
What you all have to understand is that there is a generation of people out there that are being hurt by the "California Dream". The "30's something" families are just getting their motor running when they find out that they can't even afford the fuel to put it in drive. So they end up stuck in a situation like this: Renting in their home town from a 40's or 50's something person at an over-inflated rate and getting by, paycheck to paycheck. Can't save any real money since life (like starting a family before it's too late) seems to drain your savings. The circle goes around and around. It's a hard reality to live with. So bitterness sets in when you look to places like So. Oregon, Western Montana, Eastern Wa.(I not sure if Ca. has discovered that yet) and places in Id. and find that their last chance to start some place has just shot up in price...why? Well, as someone put it in another thread, the law of supply and demand. So, your only chance to hope the supply increases, and it does. Problem is, the word is out and the "Dreamer's" beat you to it. Contractors know this so the base amount for the supply goes up as well. Nice, now your outta luck, and stuck having to rent. Don't get me wrong, I am a conservative Republican who believes in capitalism. But capitalism at what cost? The 30 somethings will become more and more frustrated, demand higher wages from the state and private companies, the bubble grows larger and larger then, someday I think soon, it will burst. My only fear in all of this is, what will it look like after the bubble breaks? In the mean time, Mr or Ms. Ca. Dreamer do me a favor, stop paying asking price for a house that is $100,000 over priced. I grew up in these areas and know what these houses are really worth. Give a thought to those who are coming up behind you and save yourself some cash in the same time. It looks like a win/win situation to me? We can do this without the doom and gloom scenario, but it starts with you, any of you who are buying a house. As consumers we should be controlling the market...(I'll get off my soap box)...One more thing...small one...If someone waves at you, in these smaller parts of the US. That means Hi!.....wave back. Good luck to us all.
The funny thing is, you are describing the same situation that is happening throughout the United States. The house we purchased here in Southern California in 1968 for $24,000 is now fetching $800,000. We didn't plan it that way, and we could not afford to buy it now. But there are folks who can and will pay $800,000, and much more, to live the "California Lifestyle".

So you are not alone in your frustration. I am worried how "younger folks" will be able to live the "American Dream" of owing a home, and living a comfortable life.

Montana is not unique in its situation. Please remember that.

Peace,

Rick

Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman1 View Post
Not everyone from California is of the opinion that Montana must be Californicated. Try having a little compassion for your fellow human beings, and don't pre-judge a person because of their origin or color.

Soon to be Montanaman.
Amen! I think we ALL want to keep Montana like it is!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,194,310 times
Quote:
Try having a little compassion for your fellow human beings, and don't pre-judge a person because of their origin or color.
Now, I feel like someone is trying to Californicate me!! Fact is, that most of the rest of America ain't nearly as "politically correct" as Califorinans; nor do we necessarily want to be. Fact is, that most of the rest of America is conservative, is family oriented, votes Republican, and enjoys owning firearms. Maybe we like to "pre-judge" people a little, is there anything really wrong with that?

When you decide to move to someone else's territory, you are moving there presumably because you like those people, and want to live with them. Otherwise, you will be miserable, especially if you expect them to conform to your level of Californian "tolerance" of others. It just aint' that way in 46 of the other states.

Just food for thought. I recon there's no need to choke on it, though.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM

48 posts, read 133,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Now, I feel like someone is trying to Californicate me!! Fact is, that most of the rest of America ain't nearly as "politically correct" as Califorinans; nor do we necessarily want to be. Fact is, that most of the rest of America is conservative, is family oriented, votes Republican, and enjoys owning firearms. Maybe we like to "pre-judge" people a little, is there anything really wrong with that?

When you decide to move to someone else's territory, you are moving there presumably because you like those people, and want to live with them. Otherwise, you will be miserable, especially if you expect them to conform to your level of Californian "tolerance" of others. It just aint' that way in 46 of the other states.

Just food for thought. I recon there's no need to choke on it, though.

I'm sorry but I don't think maintaining a backwards attitude is acceptable -- regardless of where you live. The world is changing and you can either accept it or die a miserable bitter person. The choice is yours.

P.S. I've never lived in California but am still able to recognize that racism etc. is wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana