Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times

Advertisements

What economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,593 times
" hows the economy in montana?"
In the toilet

Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM

36 posts, read 91,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
... find the job first then move. ... Montana is a sacrifice state. If you're not into sacrificing, it's not for you.
Best advice ever!

Rather than Montana, consider coming to the front range region of Colorado. I live in the Springs, but Denver is hot, but then so is just about anywhere from Fort Collins down through Pueblo. You won't be in the Rockies, but within spittin' distance of them.

But get that job first.

In the mid 80s the wife and I moved from Silicon Valley in California to Colorado Springs. We came out on a 2-week job/house hunt "vacation". I had some awesome interviews and we signed a contract on a house. Went back to Cali, quit, packed up and moved. None of the job interviews worked out so they let us out of the contract. Spent the next year living with her mom in Denver and blowing through savings. Got a couple of temp jobs in high-tech. Finally got a call from a former boss in Cali. "Scott," he said. "What are you doing?" My answer was, "Borrowing money to by food." He made me an offer and I was at work by the next Monday.

I've finally established some roots here in Colorado, but for high-tech "Silicon Mountain" just ain't what people hoped it'd be. I used to design chips for Compaq, but that ended in 2002 and I've had junk jobs ever since. So I'm going back to school to reinvent myself.

Here in the Springs the super hot industry had been health care, that's cooled off somewhat, but there's still a couple dozen ads in the paper each week.

Danish company Vestas, the world leader in wind turbines, is moving to Colorado in a big way. Last year they hired over a hundred welders for their Pueblo plant, and they have a big facility up near Fort Collins.

But always get a firm job offer before you move to a new state.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Amen. I had a firm transfer and luckily my wife found work within 2 months here in Helena.

Don't move here unless you have something lined up. Or your single and don't care about living wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana