Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 PM

17 posts, read 59,061 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

How is the skiing at Bridger Bowl in late March/early April? I am doing research for our family skiing trip next year and considering Bridger Bowl. We're at best intermediate so we don't need any expert skier type place.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
This year it has been good. I skied BB yesterday, great snow and sunny.

BB in my opinion is best for advanced/expert skiers because of the great terrain off Slushmans/Ridge. There is plenty of decent intermediate terrain down lower, but because of the slow lifts, you will not get that many runs in during the day.

Come to Bozeman and ski Moonlight/Big Sky and maybe a day at Bridger.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
They normally close BB on 3 April. This year they are extending it to 12 April, however, there are some areas that will close on 3 April.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

17 posts, read 59,061 times
Thank you for the info. I guess we will probably skip BB until we are better skiers then. And until we can go earlier.

Big Sky/Moonlight is unfortunately, too expensive for us.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

355 posts, read 1,146,303 times
Another opinion..I ski BB and worked there for many, many years.

Bridger's got a lot of intermediate terrain; all the groomed stuff on the Alpine side is beginner/intermediate, all the Powder Park area is also - there's several open areas from Upper Freedom down through the Sunnyside area and over into Powderhorn. A high-speed quad services the Alpine area. There's also a lot of intermediate area over in the Pierre's Knob side of the mountain; that lift has been improved and now carries 1/3 more capacity than it used to. Spring crowds are generally sparse..most locals get their fill of snow by now and are nosing around for other pursuits.

Late season is a decent time to ski and can be an excellent time if you recognize that conditions change rapidly with the height/exposure of the sun. Spring skiing is great, but you have to use proper wax so you don't get hung up in wetter snow when the temps warm and the sun rises higher. Stick to the more northerly exposure/higher elevations as the day wears on. Cardboard snow is way fun, as is corn snow and even the slushies..but, you have to get the right wax on, which the rental guys at the shop will set you up with.

Here's a map of the area, you'll be able to spot the green/blue areas I'm talking about easily.

Other areas nearby that are fine intermediate areas are Lost Trail Powder Mountain, Lookout Pass, Great Divide, and Discovery Basin. All offer reasonable prices, but check to see what their closing/operating dates are before you travel. Pack along a lot of sunscreen and have fun!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
CTC

[quote=rangerider;18475982]
A high-speed quad services the Alpine area.

There are no high speed quads at BB-there is a low speed quad at the base but no high speed quads-big difference.

Not to take anything away from BB, but it is not a great place for lapping groomers, which is what most beginner intermediates enjoy.

If you don't mind slow lifts and want good skiing then there are some good beginner/intermediate runs at BB. But for top to bottom skiing you will have to ride two lifts.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,303 times
Got me there; showing my age..the Powder Park quad isn't near what the high-speed detachables are elsewhere. It is a fair bit faster than what was there, and even then it gets jammed on busy mornings. My bad -

I'm sticking by my statement about intermediate skiing, tho; Bridger doesn't have the consistent fall line blue run skiing that bigger areas such as Steamboat, Jackson, Mammoth, Big Sky et. al. have, but despite the abrupt transitional terrain of the mountain you can put in a lot of runs in a day. Over the years, I've had a pile of relatives and friends out here skiing, from beginner to advanced intermediate. I can't think of any who linked turns lapping top to bottom. I'd also happily bet a day's pay I could have an advanced intermediate ski with me on Pierre's Knob and rubberize their legs by lunchtime.

Been there done that.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
CTC

[quote=rangerider;18530479]Got me there; showing my age..the Powder Park quad isn't near what the high-speed detachables are elsewhere. It is a fair bit faster than what was there, and even then it gets jammed on busy mornings. My bad -

I'm sticking by my statement about intermediate skiing, tho; Bridger doesn't have the consistent fall line blue run skiing that bigger areas such as Steamboat, Jackson, Mammoth, Big Sky et. al. have, but despite the abrupt transitional terrain of the mountain you can put in a lot of runs in a day. Over the years, I've had a pile of relatives and friends out here skiing, from beginner to advanced intermediate. I can't think of any who linked turns lapping top to bottom. I'd also happily bet a day's pay I could have an advanced intermediate ski with me on Pierre's Knob and rubberize their legs by lunchtime.

Been there done that. [/QUOTe

YOU got ME there-rubberize them flatlanders!!

seriously BB is a fine hill-Slushmans is one of the best expert lift served areas I have ever skied...just wish they had at least one high speed lift-especially for the expensive ( compared to Colorado) season passes
sitting on those slow chairs with no foot rests (except PK), 20 lbs of gear hanging off your knees -gets old-gets me tired more than the actual groomers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana