Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

233 posts, read 543,878 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I stumbled across this site while continuing my data gathering on Great Falls. This is my forst post, so a thread topic and "about me" all in one post.

Great Falls is on our short list for relocation and we are visiting in a few weeks to confirm or deny our assumptions. We are not leaving our current home because of any negatives, but are looking to move to an area that is more suited to our lifestyle. We have spent several months researching several cities, and as you may guess, most of them have the same things in common...

Small (ish) town of 50-100k. Strong and close rural areas. Low relative crime. We are outdoor intensive (climbing, hiking, fishing, hunting, paddling, sight seeing). We are tolerant of conditions such as winters (grew up in upper Midwest), winds (spend considerable time in the mountains). We are not big night club / party / shopping folks. Big City "groove" is always fun to visit (Manhattan, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago), but not needed or desired to live near.

Wifey is back to school and pursuing nursing and the university in Great Falls covers her transfer needs and degree plan. Military base is a plus as we are soon to be retired Army and the commissary is a big benefit. Lower relative taxes are a plus as we are down-sizing our lives and the pursuit of the dollar is second to quality of life.

With that being said, I have read the majority of posts on this forum and have noticed some very good posters and topics. Many are outdated though, but bigskylaw, avman1, GiftShoppeGuy, and a few others ring a bell.

If I could, I would like to start another "Great Falls in the Future" thread and ask for as much input as possible.

We are in our early 40's, very active, in good health, don't ask or demand much, share often, believe in responsibility, and look to add value wherever we go. We enjoy festivals, farmer's markets, dogs, hunting, fishing, and anything outdoors.

We have the chamber of commerce packet and just received the "Home Guide" in the mail today. We are in contact with a realtor and will view a few homes during our trip.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
If you want to compare them, on the internet or in person, I'll just note that Helena has 72,000 in its metro. The city of Great Falls is about twice as big as the city of Helena but GF's metro is about 82,000. I guess Helena has relatively much more suburbia. Helena reportedly has lower crime and is closer to its nearest mountains than GF.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
You can find some demographics here.

Registration Fees for your vehicle.

National Parks around there.

Drivers license fee, requirements, etc...

Great Falls
VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1417 9th Street South
Suite 200 and 300
Great Falls, MT 59405
Phone: 406-791-3200
Toll free: 877-468-8387
8:00am - 4:30pm

Those should give you some info. Course, you might have some of them already.

Welcome to the Montana Forum.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Thank you for the "welcomes".

We are taking at look at Helena as well, but the nursing program / location of college may be an issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Sorry, that detail and the commissary slipped my mind. But there is now and there is later.

What other specific input are you looking for, from residents? Open-ended requests sometimes work, sometimes not.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Sorry, that detail and the commissary slipped my mind. But there is now and there is later.

What other specific input are you looking for, from residents? Open-ended requests sometimes work, sometimes not.

Good point NW.

We have a week on the ground and want to get a good "feel" of the place. We've read the demographic and economic data as well as history, so we have a decent "statistical" knowledge base.

I guess we are looking for "go here" or "check out xxx" while you are in town.

I know it is open-ended, but loooking for additional opinions on attitudes, scenery, smells (avoid factory x etc.), community projects/events, points of pride, scenic or exciting local areas (dams, rapids, wildlife) etc. Walleye/trout fishing. Pheasants? Microbrew pubs? Speed traps?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM

Hopefully more will come, but here are a few links related to a few of your interests, if you haven't already seen them:

Local walleye club but just brief contact info WALLEYE UNLIMITED OF GREAT FALLS, MONTANA

Guide service with lots more information
Montana Walleye - Walleyes, Sauger Fishing with Captains Dale Gilbert and Jim Muzynoski

Great Falls blog
Greater Falls - a blog about Great Falls, Montana!

Pub
Bert and Ernie's Music, Food, & Brew Pub - Historic Downtown Great Falls, Montana (http://www.bertandernies.com/beer.htm#ON_TAP - broken link)

State brew pub list
Microbrew Montana - Local Breweries & Taprooms (http://visitmt.com/virtualvisitor/microbrew_montana/ - broken link)
One in Helena

farmers market and links to other stuff http://www.mainstreetgreatfalls.com/farmersmarket.html

If you want some scenery fairly close by, you might pop out to First Peoples Buffalo Jump State Park and Tower Rock State Park. http://fwp.mt.gov/parks/visit/towerRock/
And / or drive a way out along Sun River. Or maybe go to Neihart if you have the time, inclination and the roads and weather cooperate.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-31-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Fixed one link

Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 AM

Awesome. Thank you!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
My co-worker likes to go to Great Fall in the summer to go rattlesnake hunting. He likes to catch them, photograph, then set them free.

Note to self: Don't travel with my co-worker to Great Falls in July
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana