Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 AM

233 posts, read 543,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
You may be able to find em' just east of the divide though...

We just moved from Gallatin county, (Belgrade/Manhattan area) to the Helena area and we are loving it. The people are warm and friendly, good lakes are close, the city is nice, and the hiking / hunting is just as good if not better than in the Bozeman area... * cough*, I mean the hunting and fishing is terrible and the people are mean, *cough*

Helena seems to me to have an attitude like I remember from my younger years in Bozeman... Bozeman seems to be becoming more like an Aspen, CO type of place these days.. . But whatever floats your boat.. My boat likes to float where there are walleyes! (That said a bad day fishing is better than a good day working..)
So I'll be keeping the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Personally we like Helena. It's a little more expensive here than what we were accustomed to in West Virginia but we manage it. The climate is great, the view from our place is great, the wildlife is awesome, the kids enjoy school and scouts, the camping has been great, the snowshoeing is great, the ice-fishing on Canyon Ferry was great, wiping light powdery snow off my truck with a handbroom vs. using a backhoe in WV with the wet heavy snow is awesome...

Let's see if there are any downsides... The traffic downtown and out of town can be knarly sometimes?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Let's see if there are any downsides... The traffic downtown and out of town can be knarly sometimes?

I take it not near as bad as from DC to Baltimore..... LOL!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:37 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Oh God no, lol.

Back in the late 80's I commuted from Laurel MD to Bethesda MD and for a while from Laurel to Baltimore.. Maybe 20 minutes with no traffic. It routinely took me over an hour in traffic, and it's only deteriorated since.

*shudder* You couldn't pay me enough to go back to that rat race.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
The downside to Helena is that a lot of the trees around town are dying due to pine beetle. The lack of traffic is a huge upside if anything.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Met some locals at the Yacht Basin Bar. Very nice folks and what a great lake Canyon Ferry is!

Really love the canyon ferry area as well as north of lake helena in the timberline. Montana City seems a bit overpriced, but it has close access to helena.

All the way down to Clancy has some decent homes as well. We will venture east and northeast a bit more tomorrow.

Helena is a very nice town.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 PM

Oh yeah, and the mountain bike trails are fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana