Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

My family has been considering moving to Montana, we have 3 small children and are very avid hunters. We have been looking into the western side. If I can get any ideas it would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
More details could help guide suggestions.

Can you and do you want to live in or near a town under 2,000 population or want one between 2-5,000, 5-10,000, over 10,000 or way over 10,000?

If looking to buy property, what price range would you be you looking at?

What kinda game is of most interest?

Anything else besides good hunting a priority?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,500 times
We would like under 2000 in population, also looking for land under $200,000, we like to hunt any big game: elk, deer, moose, bear, mountain lion, we like fishing also

Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,386 times
A lot of country can fit your needs. From Butte over to Anaconda Georgetown lake on down to Wisdom and also in the Bitteroot valley.
As I have mentioned before in other threads you really need a road trip to take a look for your self.
Put together a game plan of what you are looking for search all newspapers and all realtors website listings.
before driving to visit. What you see on black and white paper might not be what is really on the ground.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
I'd mention these possibilities (all under 2,000 population, near wild country and with real estate prices probably not as crazy as some other more high profile places, though some of these may be pricier than others):

Eureka (on Hwy 93 near the Canadian border)

Trout Creek - Thompson Falls - Plains (on Hwy 200 west of Flathead Reservation)

Lincoln (on Hwy 200 NW of Helena)

Troy (on Hwy 2 west of Libby)

Darby (on Hwy 93 south of Hamilton)

Sheridan (on Hwy 287 SW of Butte)

Boulder (NE of Butte on I-15)

Philipsburg (on Hwy 1 NW of Butte)

Choteau - Augusta (west of Great Falls)

White Sulphur Springs (Hwy 89 east of Helena)

Maybe others can comment on which has the best hunting opportunities given your interests or give more thoughts about some of these towns.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-11-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
I think the nicest part of Montana is the southwest part of the state, especially the area around Yellowstone. There are plenty of little towns around there that might suit your liking. One that I think is nice is Big Timber. It is a little more out on the plains but you are not too far from the Crazy Mountains. I have hunted deer and antelope around that area and I am told there are plenty of elk and black bears, but haven't pursued them there. I also think the people there are some of the most genuine. What jobs are you looking for? One thing to keep in mind is that wages are low and in many places, especially in the more scenic western third of the state it does not keep up with the cost of living which is pretty high in several areas. As far as cost of land I really couldn't tell you too much.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM

31 posts, read 126,905 times
Property prices are stupid crazy high, even in this economy. Hopefully you have a job to come into or you will likely have issues competing against the locals, and given the economic climate right now, it's tougher than normal.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM

214 posts, read 601,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forummer View Post
Property prices are stupid crazy high, even in this economy. Hopefully you have a job to come into or you will likely have issues competing against the locals, and given the economic climate right now, it's tougher than normal.
I agree. I've just looked at a couple of real estate sites for Montana and it seems like people are going to be asking pre-recession prices for their properties this summer for the first time again in the western part.

Yahoo's been reporting pockets of the country where 'bubbles' are forming where the demand is outpacing houses built already. No mention of Montana yet.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 69,566 times
Default West Yellowstone

West Yellowstone provides easy access to Elk hunting. I live here and have shot several elk within a mile of my home. Deer hunting is also great in the madison valley. Hebgen lake is great for hunting Goose and Duck!!! Fishing is awesome also. Gotta go rotate the elk jerky in the smoker!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 32,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Troy (on Hwy 2 west of Libby)
not to be a jerk and burst any bubbles, but towns this size are not very nice to out-of-staters, have no jobs, high drug use/traffic, almost no housing and get snow over 5 ft... the big question you'll get asked is why did you move here if you aren't connected to anyone.

on the good side of things would be the out doors in the 4-5 mos it is accessible

references: troy native, reason for staying... I love my home and couldn't afford to relocate if I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana