Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
By dry - what's your standard? Less than 8" (def of semi-arid)
My standard is, ~~~ we don't need no stinking snow shovels (most winters).
I use a broom on our snow mostly because we just don't generally get very much.
We don't measure or have a weather station but I'm looking out over our valley right now and there is no snow.
Anyone can look up the precipitation records for Hot Springs Montana. This has been the driest year we have yet to see in the last sixteen or so years since we moved here and there were a few times that I had to shovel four foot high drifts out of my yard. (rarely)
Your question of "what's your standard" is odd because you didn't say if you are talking about 8" being the def of semi arid as in rain or snow. We get a very small amount of both rain and snow and each year is quite different. Generally it is quite dry here look at the photographs I posted of our valley. Would you call our valley wet ?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Would you call our valley wet ?
Well "Shut My Mouth" ! It's been raining all night and our ground is pretty well soaked.
We really need this rain but what we really need is a deeper snow-pack in the mountains so we can do plenty of irrigating this summer.

Rain and snow = livestock feed ! Livestock feed = big beef ! Big beef = T Bone steak meat for our Chile Colorado and rib-eye steak meat for our Carne Asada Tacos !

We love to eat these foods that we grew up on while enjoying "The worst weather in the nation"

Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM

324 posts, read 714,712 times
Quote:
Your question of "what's your standard" is odd because you didn't say if you are talking about 8" being the def of semi arid as in rain or snow. We get a very small amount of both rain and snow and each year is quite different. Generally it is quite dry here look at the photographs I posted of our valley. Would you call our valley wet ?
Eight inches is the standard for all precipitation (rain, sleet, hail & snow) = semi arid. Anything below four inches is considered arid.

When I lived in Bigfork - they considered themselves a wet area with 21 inches of precip which incl 50 inches of snow. When I lived in Lodge Grass - was a drier 15 inches, but nothing compared to Powell, Wyo with 6.9 inches (semi arid).

Hot Springs is 17.7 - hardly dry

Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Eight inches is the standard for all precipitation (rain, sleet, hail & snow) = semi arid. Anything below four inches is considered arid.
When I lived in Bigfork - they considered themselves a wet area with 21 inches of precip which incl 50 inches of snow. When I lived in Lodge Grass - was a drier 15 inches, but nothing compared to Powell, Wyo with 6.9 inches (semi arid).
Hot Springs is 17.7 - hardly dry
Boy you sure like to nit pic ! Dry is a subjective word and our valley is quite dry when compared to the areas nearby, except for Camas Prairie. Perhaps we are not "Technically" arid by the stats but statistics aside, while living here it is decidedly drier than most of the surrounding valleys.

I'll avoid using the word "Arid" when describing our quite dry micro-climate.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM

324 posts, read 714,712 times
Quote:
Boy you sure like to nit pic ! Dry is a subjective word and our valley is quite dry when compared to the areas nearby, except for Camas Prairie. Perhaps we are not "Technically" arid by the stats but statistics aside, while living here it is decidedly drier than most of the surrounding valleys.

I'll avoid using the word "Arid" when describing our quite dry micro-climate.
I should let you off the hook, but I won't. If you are referring to Camas Prairie - the average annual precipitation is 12 inches. http://www.flatheadwatershed.org/nat...perature.shtml

As most of us who have lived "out west", we know the statement by our h.s. science teachers of 10 inches of snow equals one inch of water is incorrect. In Powell it took nearly double that amount of powder snow to equal one inch of water. The more humidity in the snow the more closely it resembles the science teachers statement. That along with it doesn't snow below zero.

Today in the Whitehorse outback - it was snowing at -15F overnight.

Last edited by Hawknest; 03-18-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

I am not on any-one's hook. You come off as very egotistical, know it all type who has to have the last word. I just scoured all the sites that I could find and very few of the stats match.
The climate is changing and the stat sites are seldom current. Get off my back please and get a life.
You don't live here, I do. We live in a dry pocket and you just want to argue about stats.
There is virtually no snow here right now and in the middle of winter we grill out on the porch.
Nobody likes a "Stat Brat", Go ahead and have your last word, I wont respond to you anymore, everyone on this board knows that you are always right. You go enjoy your freezer and we'll enjoy our very dry valley and float rivers and grill all year round. You are beginning to sound like the original poster now.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I think this thread had used up it's usefulness. It started out as a Billings thing and has ended up as......... Well, I'm not sure.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana