Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM

84 posts, read 157,237 times

Advertisements

How religious is the average Montanan? I have heard it is a surprisingly irreligious state, much less religious than its neighbor, North Dakota, which is the most Christian state in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Montana is not, as you say, irrelegious. Nor is it religious. This is, 2011 and it would not really make it any difference what year. IT's more of a state that is mixed between "I believe in my maker, and I really don't believe in who and what you believe in."

Religion is a standardized practice that requires a temple, church, or whatever to exclaime your excitement within his house. Yes, those exist.

I think you'll find one town deep in one and another town deep in another.

But every one of them talk to somebody, when the temp hits -40. It may not be the same somebody, but they talk to somebody.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
There are many Christian churches, a handful of synagogues (including one shul) and one (maybe two) mosque(s), but, except for the Hutterites, Menonites and the one Orthodox rabbi and his family in Bozeman, overall the folks are not religious (I'm basing this on the number of folks living together as a sign of not being religious).

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Losta Lutheran Mafia...

Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
How religious is the average Montanan? I have heard it is a surprisingly irreligious state, much less religious than its neighbor, North Dakota, which is the most Christian state in America.
Considering that Montana draws (IMO) a much greater percentage of out-of-state transplants (from states like Nevada) than N>D>.............to me it would tend to possibly have more folks that have come from areas (states) that are known to be highly non-religious. Where as N.D. would most likely have a more static population composed of ethnic backgrounds that are normally associated with a high percentage of God-fearing, hard working types (farmers, ranchers etc) (i.e. Germans, Poles, Italians, Irish etc.

All I can tell you is that here in Hamilton this past Good Friday Noon Mass at the Catholic Church.....it was standing room only. Same thing for today's Easter Sunday's 3 masses.

I personally don't think it should be labled as an "irreligious state" based on my experiences over the last 32 years of living and traveling to many parts of the state on business and pleasure (thus, a variety of personal contacts).

Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
No more or less than another place.

In my area of Wisconsin, they aren't more or less religious than anywhere else, but I'd say people are highly Lutheran here. That's the dominant religion and the religion most of my older relatives were raised in.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM

14 posts, read 32,598 times
I've actually noticed more religion in the out of staters in my neck of the woods... most are "non religious" just live and do your best kinda people. most church here is for social, better than the bar I guess... lol

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are many Christian churches, a handful of synagogues (including one shul) and one (maybe two) mosque(s), but, except for the Hutterites, Menonites and the one Orthodox rabbi and his family in Bozeman, overall the folks are not religious (I'm basing this on the number of folks living together as a sign of not being religious).
Shul is yiddish for synagogue, Walter. All synagogues are shuls, even Reform synagogues.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Shul is yiddish for synagogue, Walter. All synagogues are shuls, even Reform synagogues.
While shul is Yiddish for synagogue, I was using the term in its colloquial sense to differentiate a small Orthodox place of worship from a Conservative synagogue or a Reform synagogue or temple, that typically also include a catering hall and classrooms for the afternoon Hebrew school, that are not normally associated with a shul.

For those interested in more information, see Judaism 101: Synagogues, Shuls and Temples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana