Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,288 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I’m new to the forums (just joined today) and have been searching the ones related to Montana relocation. Many of the forums have been very helpful; however, I figured I would post one of my own w/ specific questions geared towards me that I would like answered. I have been heavily visiting Montana over the last 10 years multiple times a year and have been in love w/ the state since my parents first brought me there. I have been debating a move for the last several years and am now ready to do it. Here is my background, my plan, and my questions – I would appreciate any feedback (no matter how brutally honest) that any of you have. I am a woman in my mid 30’s and will be heading out solo. I love outdoor activities (big time hiker and backpacker, small time into snowshoeing). I currently work at a hospital doing administrative/office, data entry, low level IT analyst work (basically a clerk in the healthcare sector) and have previously been a bookkeeper and accounting assistant. My education is in Geology (although I have never worked in that field; however, I would consider an entry level position, as I love to be outside). I grew up on a small farm in rural NE PA and have dealt w/ severe winters and have never really minded the snow that much (it’s the ice that’s a killer). My plan is to move to Montana in a year (spring 2012) after securing a job in one of the following places: Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, Helena, Great Falls, or Butte (preference at this point is Boze). I am going out in June to checkout Helena and Great Falls (as I have never been there) and get to know Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, and Butte better (I have visited those before). I also wanted to speak w/ some local folks about the area and look at potential housing situations (I will rent something small since its just me). I’m waiting a year so that I can pay off my car and have a bit of a war chest saved up (I have no other debts besides the car). My main concern is the probability of an out of stater finding a position in an office environment or in the science field if possible. My questions are:

In looking at job postings over the last month online, I see plenty of office work available. Are these fields (accounting, bookkeeping, healthcare support positions) something that an out of stater like myself can expect to have a chance at and are these types of positions available often?
Are there particular/specific jobs that out of staters tend to get hired for and why?
Which of the areas I mentioned above would you recommend I focus on based on my background and information I gave?
Which towns are the most accepting of an out of stater and is it a benefit that I am female (or a detriment ;-)?
What other advice/information would you give me?

Montana is an awesome place to visit on vacation; however, in doing research over the last month I have had my eyes opened to quite a bit that I wasn’t aware of previously: job pay is low, cost of living is high. I want to gather all of the research and information I can; however, I must say… in my heart I am committed to making this move. Nothing has deterred me so far and I have a positive attitude (while still being a realist – if that makes sense). Again… any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 697,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9georgie View Post

In looking at job postings over the last month online, I see plenty of office work available. Are these fields (accounting, bookkeeping, healthcare support positions) something that an out of stater like myself can expect to have a chance at and are these types of positions available often?
Are there particular/specific jobs that out of staters tend to get hired for and why?
In the towns that you mentioned, out-of-staters should have a fair shot at just about any type of job. The biggest concern would be if you weren't able to start right away do to relocating.

Quote:
Which of the areas I mentioned above would you recommend I focus on based on my background and information I gave?
Which towns are the most accepting of an out of stater and is it a benefit that I am female (or a detriment ;-)?
Bozeman and Missoula are the big college towns, so they are very accepting of out of staters, and they would also both fit the outdoor recreation profile you described very well. On the flip side, they are probably the most expensive towns to live in of all that you mentioned. Butte and Great Falls would be the most affordable.

Butte has the Technical university - "School of Mines" which has programs in geology and the like, so you may be able to find a job in that field. It is also cheap to live there. On the flip side, Butte is a little rougher around the edges than some of the other towns. It's a place with a lot of character that people either love or hate, so if you're considering Butte you should definitely spend some time there first.

Billings is the biggest city and therefore has a pretty good sized business base, so finding jobs there shouldn't be too hard. It's big enough that everyone fits in, and the cost of living is less than a place like Bozeman but more than Butte.

Helena is the seat of government and therefore has a lot of administrative jobs. I'm not sure how the cost of living would compare to the other places. Great Falls doesn't seem to really jump out as fitting your description, but I'm also least familiar with it, so there could be things about it that I'm just not thinking of.

I wouldn't see being female as a detriment (well, maybe a little in Butte), but I really believe that's all in your attitude and isn't so much about the "place".

Quote:

What other advice/information would you give me?
It sounds like you've done your homework and are prepared for this! My biggest advice would be to find the job first, since the economy is rough in a lot of the state, so you'll want to be sure you have that figured out before you move. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,435 times
Maybe look into Government Jobs also. (USGS, Forest Service, State and Local Govt. etc...) I'm a government employee for the first time since I was discharged from the Army when I was in my early 20's. It actually is pretty good to have the stability and security again, (I don't work in any of the jobs threatened by this years kooky legislature) and am finding that people are pretty warm and welcoming for the most part. Anywho... might be something worth looking into, if you like Geology and all.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Are you using this site?

https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek

Last edited by Mt-7; 04-24-2011 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: site

Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Thanks to all of you for the information! This is very helpful and I will be looking into all that you have suggested.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 32,614 times
I know missoula would be good for the type of work you are looking into acquiring, and its quite the melting pot of states and cultures... but... housing is a big ouch! being a college town it is very steep compared to the wage as you have already found out. if you know anyone local well enough for a reference it always helps on the job front, but i've seen people with good degrees searching for months pounding the pavement with no results. definitely pay off your car and get a good nest egg under you as it is VERY competitive for employment. make sure you can cover all cost of living for at least 4 months before moving!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks dread_siren! Appreciate the info (and honesty)! Glad I'm preparing for this and not just up and bolting w/ no plan and/or money ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana