Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 21,444 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting too move here pretty soon too Montana and there are a couple of different areas were looking at... butte bozeman anaconda and possibly even Helena...would just like to get some insights on those places and which ones would be the best too live in.. we've lived in Colorado our whole lives and we want a new start... well be flying to check out some areas in Montana in July... and help would be useful and appreciated... we def want mountains and a some what of a milder climate... of course aware that mt winters can be cold... used to bein a snow bunny were way high up in the Colorado mountains....thanks again! H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM

213 posts, read 697,255 times
One thing to consider is the cost of living in these places. Bozeman is a very expensive place to live. Helena isn't quite as bad, but not exactly cheap. Anaconda, on the other hand, has a very low cost of living - there are a number of houses for sale in Anaconda right now in the $50K range or even under. Butte is a little higher, but still very affordable.

What kind of jobs are you looking for? Helena, as the capitol, and Bozeman, as a bigger college town, will offer the most jobs. Anaconda will have the fewest job opportunities - if you live there you may likely be looking at commuting to Butte for jobs.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Smile thanks

Thanks! Really appreciate it... I guess I hadn't realized how expensive Bozeman was, it looks gorgeous.. we're in Western CO, and the seasons are very mild... but its time for a change, I suppose we'll need a little bit cheaper cost of living, not too sure about anaconda have heard a couple of things about it, so I we're looking more towards Butte, which looks pretty as well... Belgrade looks gorgeous as well, but probably is expensive I am guessing since it is closest too Bozeman.. are there any other places that you would suggest that are of about 8,000-10,000 people no more than 40,000 that is tranquil, quiet, and I know there are places like that in MT, just curious about it... Thanks again!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,943 times
Getting mountain, mild climate, not too expensive of living and 10,000 -40,000 pop. is going to be rough. Helena would be your best bet if you want mountains closer to Colorado mountains

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

lol, ok so maybe I shouldn't be so picky, my husband did some fire fighting in Butte, MT and said it was a lovely town.. nice people, good prices, and had jobs. I know the winters will be harsh, but I'm used too having 2 ft of snow from october until about end of may... granted our temperatures are too die for since we're in theb banana belt, but the both of us have absolutely fallen in love with the big sky country... thank you i really appreciate all of your posts, just trying to get our ducks in a row before our visit trip in July. We'll fly into Bozeman and head W-SW, too check out the rest of the state.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Whenever anyone looking for info has climate/temperature in Montana questions, my advice is to come in January or February to get a good feel for what it's like. Even in the mild parts of the state, cold is still cold.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
My wife and I 'endured' our first Montana winter in Helena, and by the accounts of my co-workers this was a harsher winter than usual.

Compared to a typical West Virginia winter, the Helena Valley is a cupcake. It's cold, but not a damp kinda cold with heavy, wet snow and mositure laden great lake winds whipping down the spine of the Appalchians that soaks into your bones.

We were pleasantly surprised at the climate here. Totally surprised actually. I got by with a wool sweater and a Gore-Tex and windblock jacket just fine..

And let me say this- It's f'ing GREAT to push snow of my cars with a broom and not a backhoe, lol. Come to think of it, I used to wonder why and the heck they but bristle brushes on one side of a snow scraper. Now I know!

And NO shoveling snow.. didn't need to. Used a broom and the wind took the rest away, lol. And the snow on the roads is easy to drive on, not this mushy, wet, slicker than snail snot crud back east.. No windy backroads like in West Virginia that get iced up and impassable in the hollers for weeks on end.

Now on the High Line? If I lived there I'm sure I'd have a few choice words to say about winter. But this year in Helena? If this was tough- I'm all about loving this weather!

Man- 20 minutes your on killer snowshoe trails, skiing, snowcaving or ice-fishing. It was a blast this year. Our family had more fun than I can ever remember in the winter!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Helena did have more weather this year but not as many negative digits as usual. I live just over the hill in Lincoln. We didn't get as cold for as long as we usually get. Nothing worth noting anyway. We did get more snow than usual. Way above last year. Helena is pretty mild in temp's compared to the highline, I agree. Great Falls get awful winds that make the wind chill in January pretty bitter. I think we only had 2 or 3 days of -25 or below so it wasn't bad at all. A few years ago when we got down to -45, now that was chilly.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,546 times
I have moved to MT from CO (twice) and back again.
I think it is a very easy transition. Similar weather and topography.

First time was to Billings, now we are In Bozeman. Both are very nice places to live. Both are very different-Billings is more industrial, more life time locals, and at times a midwest feel (lots of upper midwest accents) Denver Broncos are the main NFL team.

Bozeman is more of an upscale mountain environment, but still very laidback and friendly. More transplants. People seem fitter and more outdoorsy outside of hunting season when compared to Billings. Skiing is huge in Bozeman like CO.

I didn't meet all that many skiers in Billings although Red Lodge (excellent mountain) was just an hour away.

Many people in Billings have ties with Denver (a lot of people head there for jobs) Bozeman not so much-lot's of WA and CA transplants. Billings where I worked had more people from MN,ND,SD.

Last edited by CTC; 04-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: need to add on

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
Smile Butte or Bozeman

I moved from Colorado to montana, I moved to helena its alright but not the best, i say butte or bozeman..... GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailycave View Post
My husband and I are wanting too move here pretty soon too Montana and there are a couple of different areas were looking at... butte bozeman anaconda and possibly even Helena...would just like to get some insights on those places and which ones would be the best too live in.. we've lived in Colorado our whole lives and we want a new start... well be flying to check out some areas in Montana in July... and help would be useful and appreciated... we def want mountains and a some what of a milder climate... of course aware that mt winters can be cold... used to bein a snow bunny were way high up in the Colorado mountains....thanks again! H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana