Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,979 times

Advertisements

Lately the threads from people wanting to move here to escape big city life, people, crime and live in harmony with nature have been multiplying at an alarming rate. While I'm not going to be one of those "locals" who tell others not to come, I would like to explain something very simple.

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Montana is going to become exactly what you left behind.
Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces. Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.

Yes we have an abundance of "nature", and that nature is going to disappear when you come and build your home in that subdivision.

Yes we have wildlife beyond belief. That subdivion your home was built on just forced whatever wildlife that was living there to relocate to another area in which it's competing with other wildlife and it's chances of survival are slim. No, I am not a "bunny hugger", I hunt, fish ect... No I'm not a "tree hugger", we are a timber industry family.

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining how those wanting to move here should "come in the winter", "have a job lined up", "be prepared for the weather", "driving in winter is not a treat" ect, ect, ect...... Those threads are started so that we don't end up answering every single thread by those wanting to move here and there are new ones everyday.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces? Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Lately the threads from people wanting to move here to escape big city life, people, crime and live in harmony with nature have been multiplying at an alarming rate. While I'm not going to be one of those "locals" who tell others not to come, I would like to explain something very simple.

Not everyone who wants to move is moving to escape anything.

I don't live in a big city and the crime in my area is low.

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Montana is going to become exactly what you left behind.

How so?

Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces.
Then stop subdividing up the ranch land.
It's Montanans who are selling Montana.

Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.
Why would it take a sudden leap do you have an abundant of jobs for the masses?

I will agree rural Montanans are very trustworthy but the folks who live in the "big cities" in MT commit just as much crime per capa as the rest of the upper midwest or in the west.

Yes we have an abundance of "nature", and that nature is going to disappear when you come and build your home in that subdivision.

I agree, so change your zoning or deal with it.

Yes we have wildlife beyond belief. That subdivion your home was built on just forced whatever wildlife that was living there to relocate to another area in which it's competing with other wildlife and it's chances of survival are slim. No, I am not a "bunny hugger", I hunt, fish ect... No I'm not a "tree hugger", we are a timber industry family.

Most subdivisions are out in the scrub brush or treeless areas the wildlife will survive.

But I agree you need to rezone the areas the wildlife winter in as this is where the subdivisions seam to pop up

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining how those wanting to move here should "come in the winter", "have a job lined up", "be prepared for the weather", "driving in winter is not a treat" ect, ect, ect...... Those threads are started so that we don't end up answering every single thread by those wanting to move here and there are new ones everyday.

Anyone can learn how to deal with winter.
I'm looking at property that the seller or owner tells me it does not have winter access. This is funny as I don't think a snocat or a tracked vehicle or a loader with a snowblower, or snowmobile will deny me access as I already, like a few others know how to deal with winter.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces?
No, I like to be closed in by trees and mtns.

Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
I'm not moving to escape any crime or the city or to change anything.

I do not need to justify where I live to you or anyone else.

Why don't you move out of MT so there will be more open space or one more job? Tear down your home and return it to nature so the wildlife has a place to live.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I'm not moving to escape any crime or the city or to change anything.

I do not need to justify where I live to you or anyone else.

Why don't you move out of MT so there will be more open space or one more job? Tear down your home and return it to nature so the wildlife has a place to live.
I think you'll fit in nicely in Montana.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post

Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces. Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces? Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
I don't know, I think a lot of these people just need their own private island. lol Seriously, people take the "getting away from people" thing to the extreme. I've been out of Montana almost seven months. I'm no longer as isolated as I was there, yet I feel like I have more breathing room than ever before. Go figure.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces.
Then stop subdividing up the ranch land.
It's Montanans who are selling Montana.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the other poster, but this response is just wrong and very one sided.

I'm from an area with very similar problems, and you know why the natives sell their land!? Because the TAXES increase so much from everyone moving in and wanting more this or that, that the natives CAN'T afford the land their great great great grandfather gave them anymore.

So, don't be so quick to blame this aspect on the natives. There are two sides to every story.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Taxes are a small part of it.
As I stated Montana is being sold off by Montanans.

Taxes the rancher makes more than enough to pay his taxes if he/her does not it's time to find a new job
You see if you know your costs you don't sell until you can make a profit..

Thing what happens when the rancher can no longer ranch?

Sell the ranch as a ranch.
Sell it to his kids.
Sell to a developer or develop the land him self.

The kids can't afford the inheritance tax so they sell it when the old man dies.
Again this excuse is shortsighted as they should have seen this day coming and they should have put money away for this.

Few folks want to buy a working ranch.

The kids see how much money they can make selling 3ac for 80k when great gramps got it for $300 ac.

It's called greed as they will be rich and moving to Cali.

Just because someone wants to move does not make them responsible for a subdivision.
Folks can't force a rancher to sell off his land only he can make that decision.

If the rancher respected the culture then he would not sell out for a subdivision but money is more important.

Everything has gone up in price.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
The OP is right and makes a good point at the end. I live in NJ the armpit of america, but little do our residents know that are are so many beautiful towns here in nature settings "away" from pollution and crime and noise and inflated home values. They don't drive much or explore to know this. I understand if people want to live in a different climate, but everything else is probably right near where u already are.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 71,679 times
just as many people are leaving montana as people are coming to montana, so really it's not a big deal. you guys have jubs, we don't. so we're coming.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM

We have jobs? The reason so many in Montana are going to the oil fields in N. Dakota is because the oil "boom" hasn't really started here. What you don't understand is that "MOST" Montanans that work out of state still "LIVE" here. The love for Montana is so deep locals are willing to go elsewhere for the work in order to raise their families here. Like I said, Montana is a sacrifice state.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Taxes are a small part of it.
As I stated Montana is being sold off by Montanans.

Taxes the rancher makes more than enough to pay his taxes if he/her does not it's time to find a new job
You see if you know your costs you don't sell until you can make a profit..

Thing what happens when the rancher can no longer ranch?

Sell the ranch as a ranch.
Sell it to his kids.
Sell to a developer or develop the land him self.

The kids can't afford the inheritance tax so they sell it when the old man dies.
Again this excuse is shortsighted as they should have seen this day coming and they should have put money away for this.

Put away for this? Are you kidding? There are many factors that ranchers have to deal with that would eliminate any kind of "putting away". From drought to low cattle prices (one bad year, like the mad cow disease year takes YEARS to make up), predators (google how much the defenders of the wildlife paid for ONE cow and then check what low market value for beef (1cow) was, yep the rancher got low market value). There are many many more factors to consider. Alot of my friends are ranchers who keep plugging away in order to keep the ranch in the family. Yes there are alot of Montanans who WANT to keep the family ranch running and refuse to sell out to developers. Those who want to have that right, it's their ranch. Just as you have the right to move here. But to down Montanans for what Montanans despise is not a good foot to start out on.

Few folks want to buy a working ranch.

The kids see how much money they can make selling 3ac for 80k when great gramps got it for $300 ac.

It's called greed as they will be rich and moving to Cali.

Just because someone wants to move does not make them responsible for a subdivision.
Folks can't force a rancher to sell off his land only he can make that decision.

If the rancher respected the culture then he would not sell out for a subdivision but money is more important.

Everything has gone up in price.
It's not just ranchers and farmers "selling out". Do some research on Plum Creek and the land they sell to developers. That's just one of them. Don't blame all Montanans for a very few ranchers HAVING to sell because of taxes. Yes, taxes. I know two right now who had no choice. One because of inheritance taxes.
FYI....there are fewer Montanans moving to Cali than Cali folk moving here. Cali was ruined by Californians so they pack up and move to another state so they can ruin that one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana