Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 36,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
There are those that belive that any pride in the customs and traditions of a state are bad, but those that embrace the love of the land, that appreciate the work that went into building this state, the hardships endured by the miners and trappers, cowboys and settlers, the hunger, the cold, the isolation, the privations, dieseases and starvation they endured to build a state are worthwhile.

Someone who wants to be a Montanan is proud to come to a harsh land and make a life for themselves and their kids with the hopes that those children will in turn build a good life here.

It isn't about money, although many have made fortunes here, it isn't about locking down the wilderness because you don't want someone else to enjoy it, it isn't about locking gates or shutting down access to the rivers and streams so only you can fish, it's more about sharing a love of this great place and wanting to make living here better for everybody, not just a few that want to force everybody else to conform to their way of thinking.

Most Montanan's just want to live their life the way they want. They don't need somebody telling them what they can't do, or forcing us to pay higher taxes just so somebody living off a government paycheck can make more money than the people paying the taxes.

A Montana attitude is, "you do your thing, I do mine". I don't care how a man prays, or what he eats, I don't care what car they drive or how much money they make. I'll do my thing, you do yours and we'll both do fine.

A Montanan is a good neighbor folks can depend on, and whom others will run to help in turn. The pioneer spirit of making do with what you have, working hard to achieve your goals, being willing to risk everything to make a better life for yourself and your family, caring for your friends and family and being part of a larger community, someone who knows what it's like to live for months at a time burried in snow, cold and ice just to be there to feel the overwhelming joy in seeing the first little shooting star or glacier lilly of spring.

There may not be a hard definition of Montanan, it's more of an attitude of loving where you are and seeing the good while not letting the bad dim your enjoyment of life in this wonderful place.

It's understanding that the quality of life usually has very little to do with having 6 figures in your bank account, the largest mcmansion on the top of the hill, or forcing others to think and believe as you do.

It's more about being happy with what you have, to enjoy the now instead of pineing for what you don't have. It's a warm summer night with family and friends under a blanket of stars while sitting around a campfire, it's seeing and appreciating the wildlife in your yard, taking that extra moment to smell the wild roses.

In short, it's an appreciation for life whether or not you are successful financially, a Montanan understands that having a happy family close by, being able to fish a clear cold crick, filling your freezer with elk meat for the winter, picking berries and mushrooms and knowing how to make your own jelly, or jam, or frying those fresh wild mushrooms over a steak from a cow you raised are things that have value without a price tag.

Being a Montanan means you have an appreciation for life and living in one of the harshes and one of the greatest places on earth and embracing that no matter if you have piles of money, You're willing to work long hard hours instead of demanding other's pay for you because you want to make it on your own.

Just living here doesn't make you a Montanan, there is an attitude and a fellowship of shared hardships and helping out your neighbors. There is an independence that comes from taking care of your own that money can't buy.

There is also a healthy distain for those that look down on us and our way of life, or would impose their beliefs on us through creating unnecessary laws trying to force us to live how they want us to.

if you have your health, your family, and can be happy with what you have, and have the capacity to love your life here, you are well on your way to being a Montanan.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:53 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I've read through the posts here and just wanted to add the observation that most of America is struggling with our over the top population increase. Montana has long been the land of plenty (of land) and some that elusive "freedom" so many think is in abundance there. Truth is, Montana has entered the new century poised to become a very, very, popular state and the locals will get a firsthand look at just how California went from paradise to a troubled land.

More people equal more infrastructure needs, more highways more schools, more urban traffic, in more urban spaces, and---much more taxes to pay for all of that..I'm in Wa state and have seen this place slowly moving toward a high density population and all the social ills that go along with that. I was born in Montana and have many relatives there, they're old and have had their time in the peace and quiet of old Montana, but, today's a new day and people are eyeing the big sky's of Montana, It was great while it lasted though..
Commiefornicate is doomed and it will not get better. Earthquakes, fires, rioting, homelessness, civil unrest, corruptfornia=corrupt government plus taxes and more taxes, and the greedy people there are only going to get worse.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:26 PM

139 posts, read 155,413 times
As a lifelong Montanan I can say I am welcoming of anyone who gay, black, or whatever as long as they act appropriately and are polite. I am a white male and can tell you some of biggest pricks I have ever met are other white males from places like California. I judge based on action and not so much race or other affiliations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana