Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM

159 posts, read 306,248 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family & I are planning on moving to Montana next Spring. We're thinking around Kalispell. We're not city people, so would enjoy a place a little out, but at the same time we need to be close enough to a decent size town for things such as employment, shopping, & extra activities. I have several questions, so bare with me. My husband is an ASE Certified Auto technician, are there very many mechanics jobs in Kalispell? Also, where would be a good outskirts type of place to live & raise five children? We can't afford anything too expensive, but would like about an acre of land to enjoy. So we're looking for an area that's not too costly. Are there any doctors local who practice natural forms of healing? Not the voodoo type, but the chiropractic, herbs, & muscle testing type. We have an amazing doctor here that healed our youngest son through natural healing & we really hope we can find someone similiar there. Anyways, I know there is more I was wanting to know, but I think this is enough for now. I appreciate any information I can get. Thank you & God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,220,913 times
Default smacks

You are picking one of the WORST areas for you to up sticks and leave without a job waiting for you. Kalispell and the surrounding areas have the highest unemployment in the state and it is very much a CA tourist economy. In other words, sky high cost of living, bottom feeder wages. There is a surplus of construction workers still there and I'm sure mechanics have a surplus as well.

If you are insistent on moving to Montana, do your homework and visit a couple of times first. The better locations for your DH to work will be along the Interstates with I-94 paying better than I-90 due to oil field work. Most of the local auto shops/car dealerships have people they brought on years ago and are now very senior, skilled mechanics.

Sure it's nice and pretty but you can't eat the scenery.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,635,263 times
I have to agree. I have spent a lot of time in the Flathead Valley and have numerous family members living all over the valley. It's not cheap, it's not in the median price range, it's not even in the high range. It's in the astronomical range. An acre of land in the valley can compare to 10 acres in Eastern Mt. It's a HUGE tourist area and you get it alllll year long. Flathead Lake and all the other Lakes in the valley attract the summer tourists and Whitefish/Big Mountain attracts the winter tourists. Just be prepared for extremely high prices. The two biggest reasons I don't live in the valley is the HUGE drug problem and the (dare I say it), liberalism of gays. I have all boys and prefer not to have pride parades marched around in front of them and like to take them to dinner and not worry about having to explain things like that to my 8 year old. Not against it, just don't want to see it. Have you checked out the smaller towns in Southwestern Mt? There are alot of small towns outside Missoula and Billings. Do you prefer trees? The employment part will be tough but not impossible. I have to tell you though, there are many many ASE certified mechanics. Keep looking though, one always pops up. Where are you moving from?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 PM

213 posts, read 697,605 times
I agree with flyingcat - it's not a place you want to move to without solid jobs lined up first. As for the desire for a low-cost acre of land - you really need to define what you mean by "not too costly." Generally, most of the Flathead Valley is considered fairly epensive, especially when compared to the wages one can expect to earn there. But, depending on the market you are coming from and what you are used to, some people find the prices pretty reasonable and others find them completely unaffordable.

As for naturopathic physicians, I don't know of any in particular but I'm guessing that you'll find some there. Missoula has a pretty large number of naturopaths and chiropractors, so I would expect Kalispell would have some too.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM

324 posts, read 715,280 times
Triple Ditto - The Flathead Valley and Kalispell in particular have been long suffering. You definitley need to bring a job or career with you. I lived there for a number of years, and believe me it was the worst experience of my life. Oh sure, no sales tax and low plate taxes, but that's about all.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Missoula sounds more like what you are looking for. Bongo403 is right about the natural/homeopathic's being more abundant there. I've heard Missoula has a bit of a job shortage (worse than other places) going on right now.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone. This makes this decision that much harder. Magoomafoo, we are currently living in Kansas (BLUGH). The summer's are miserable & my husband can not take heat too well. Winter's are not any better. Instead of snow, we get lot's of ice & freezing temperatures with winds blowing like crazy. Not to mention the lack of tree's & beauty. We're only here because of family. Both my husband & I love the mountains & pine treed areas. He actually lived in Missoula as a child, but it is way too big for us & to be honest, we're not real big on liberalism. We homeschool our children & that is another reason we thought the Flathead valley area could work. There are lot's of homeschoolers there with lot's of extracurricular activities available. Obviously, if the job situation is not good, none of that matters. I guess, there is probably no place that will fully satisfy our desires or needs. I had no clue that the liberalism was so bad over there. With the gays in general. I do not dislike them at all. "For God loves us all", but I do believe God created Adam & Eve & therefore prefer to teach my children the same. Anyways, our last trip to Montana was last June. My sister in law lives in Colombia Falls, so we do have a little knowledge of the area, but I really appreciate everyone else sharing what they know. Is there any area west of the Rocky mountains that anyone thinks could be a good place to live? By the way, I don't mind driving an hour to get to a good naturopathic doctor if I have to & since we homeschool we don't need to worry about being close to schools, just a place my husband can work.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

629 posts, read 1,723,133 times
FWIW, the Flathead isn't exactly San Francisco when it comes to prices and alternative lifestyles. Spend some time poking around on the real estate websites with your criteria, it looks like there are a few 1 acre places in the 100k - 120k range. That's not outrageous
Columbia Falls Real Estate - Columbia Falls, MT Homes for Sale Search - Realtor.com®

You could also look at some places up in the Canyon area, Hungry Horse, Coram, Martin City. I guarantee you won't see a Pride Parade going down the street in any of those areas (NTTAWWT).

And as for jobs, check with your sister, she lives right in town, she can check the classifieds. Or better yet, your husband can check the yellow pages and call up some of the auto shops. As mentioned several times, the area is heavily dependent upon tourists and homebuilding for money inflows, and with that crashing it has hurt all of the other businesses so it would be tough but not impossible for him to find a job up there. Looks like there's an opening for a heavy equipment mechanic (I know not quite what he's looking for but it's at least related) in the Interlake The Daily Inter Lake

Don't mortgage your future to up and move without a job, but don't think it's all doom and gloom either.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memomfive View Post
Thanks everyone. This makes this decision that much harder. Magoomafoo, we are currently living in Kansas (BLUGH). The summer's are miserable & my husband can not take heat too well. Winter's are not any better. Instead of snow, we get lot's of ice & freezing temperatures with winds blowing like crazy. Not to mention the lack of tree's & beauty. We're only here because of family. Both my husband & I love the mountains & pine treed areas. He actually lived in Missoula as a child, but it is way too big for us & to be honest, we're not real big on liberalism. We homeschool our children & that is another reason we thought the Flathead valley area could work. There are lot's of homeschoolers there with lot's of extracurricular activities available. Obviously, if the job situation is not good, none of that matters. I guess, there is probably no place that will fully satisfy our desires or needs. I had no clue that the liberalism was so bad over there. With the gays in general. I do not dislike them at all. "For God loves us all", but I do believe God created Adam & Eve & therefore prefer to teach my children the same. Anyways, our last trip to Montana was last June. My sister in law lives in Colombia Falls, so we do have a little knowledge of the area, but I really appreciate everyone else sharing what they know. Is there any area west of the Rocky mountains that anyone thinks could be a good place to live? By the way, I don't mind driving an hour to get to a good naturopathic doctor if I have to & since we homeschool we don't need to worry about being close to schools, just a place my husband can work.

You are going to fit in just fine-Have you looked at Hungry Horse? There are lots of small towns in the valley you could check out. I have a friend from Kansas, came to Montana then had to move back to Kansas. She misses Montana something terrible.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. As for moving to Hungry Horse, Coram, or Martin city I'll have to pass. If I'm correct, that's on the east side of the Rocky's & the weather over there would be a little much for our family.
We actually have been checking online for jobs & we have a realtor who's been guiding us a little, but there's still so much to learn. Our realtor did tell us it would be hard to find what we're looking for in our price range, but she also said it's not impossible. And my sister in law has been struggling with a job herself, but say's that she's seen mechanic jobs all over the place. I'm one who firmly believes in researching every area before making any final decisions. Especially since we can't afford to take several trips up there before next spring. With that said I appreciate your extra advice & links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
FWIW, the Flathead isn't exactly San Francisco when it comes to prices and alternative lifestyles. Spend some time poking around on the real estate websites with your criteria, it looks like there are a few 1 acre places in the 100k - 120k range. That's not outrageous
Columbia Falls Real Estate - Columbia Falls, MT Homes for Sale Search - Realtor.com®

You could also look at some places up in the Canyon area, Hungry Horse, Coram, Martin City. I guarantee you won't see a Pride Parade going down the street in any of those areas (NTTAWWT).

And as for jobs, check with your sister, she lives right in town, she can check the classifieds. Or better yet, your husband can check the yellow pages and call up some of the auto shops. As mentioned several times, the area is heavily dependent upon tourists and homebuilding for money inflows, and with that crashing it has hurt all of the other businesses so it would be tough but not impossible for him to find a job up there. Looks like there's an opening for a heavy equipment mechanic (I know not quite what he's looking for but it's at least related) in the Interlake The Daily Inter Lake

Don't mortgage your future to up and move without a job, but don't think it's all doom and gloom either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana