Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time follower on here, but this is my first post. I am a 27 year old single male, looking to move from central MN out west. I have been researching for a while, and Lewistown MT and Sheridan WY are the two towns that kinda catch my eye right now. I am looking for an area that is somewhat close to some mountains(within 30 min), and also has good bird(pheasant and grouse) hunting within a reasonable drive(hour or so).
I am a design engineer(BS in mechanical engineering) and have found oppurtunities for employment in both areas. Can anyone who has experience with both towns shed some more light for me. Also, if anyone has a better suggestion for an area to look at that might suite me better, I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance

huskyhunter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I haven't lived either place, just passed thru a few times for Sheridan and once for Lewistown. I also can't grade the bird hunting. All I can say is that they both seem like interesting places if you like fairly small and very small places near outdoor activities. Compared to Sheridan, Lewistown is about 1/3rd the size and gets less tourism, probably has cheaper housing and may have a bit higher crime rate. If you have good job opportunities in both places, your money would probably go farther in Lewistown. If you want more restaurant, bars nightlife, shopping and a wider mix of people from different places you might prefer Sheridan.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Lewistown seems to have better bird hunting than Sheridan, from what I've heard. I've never hunted in either place. We used to play Lewistown in sports when I was in high school so I was guaranteed a few trips there every year. Everybody I know from Lewistown is very friendly, as is eastern Montana which is much more like the Midwest than western Montana. My problem with Lewistown would be the fact that it is pretty isolated and much of the population is very gray. Eastern Montana has a very aged population, in common with much of the Great Plains. Cost of living is probably lower in Lewistown than Sheridan which is a bit higher.

Sheridan is a place I am wanting to move to someday. Again, I don't know what the bird hunting is like. Sheridan has a very beautuful downtown. I am not sure if it has had an increase in population due to mining or not, but I don't think it is as gray as eastern Montana (somebody from there can give you a better idea of that). Also I've heard Sheridan has a more artsy scene to it whereas Lewistown is mostly agricultural. Sheridan is also about and hour and a half from Billings.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,476 times
Default Lewistown or Sheridan

I moved to lewistown about 4 years ago from Chicago. It is very beautiful here, and apparently great hunting country although I am not a hunter myself. The people are quite friendly. However, housing is VERY expensive here compared to what the average income level is, and decent rentals are extremely hard to come by. There are not too many jobs here either. Also not much (really nothing) for young adults to do unless you are outdoors all the time. Main Street is dying with businesses closing almost every month. If I had the opportunity I would move elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,331 times
Pick Sheridan, Spearfish or Belle Fourche SD. Lewistown is dying and expense and too isolated. Don't know your age, but there isn't much of a singles scene here, unless you are looking for a gray haired widow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana