Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 17,656 times

Advertisements

Except for the last comments posted by Iorge the rest of comments regarding Scobey apparently were posted by persons who have never visited or lived here. If you are interested in Scobey Montana you really need to visit and see for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM

44 posts, read 192,432 times
My only experience with Scobey was a few years ago while on a tour of the eastern part of our fair state (being from the south-central part). Every small town has great people, but stopping in the grocery store on a Sunday morning for Tylenol was a singular experience...not many people in the store and each one stared at me as if I had 2 heads. >shudder<
In retrospect, it seems only natural to stare at strangers in such a small, off-the-beaten-path kind of town, but at the time, it creeped me out. Made me want to point at my car parked outside and explain that I was a Montanan, too....

Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 17,656 times
Wow...unfortunately I know just which store you were in....and the good news is....IT SOLD TO A YOUNG COUPLE with a focus on good customer service; even to newcomers. A couple who is happy to return to their hometown and rejuvenate a business which needed owners with open minds and pleasant personalities.....(we all think the previous owner was a pod person!)

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorge View Post
(we all think the previous owner was a pod person!)
See, it's true! UFOs really DO land in Montana!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Haha! Know the store too! Got to spend a month a couple years back living in the Cattle King and shopped at the grocery store once... did the rest of my shopping in Plentywood!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM

41 posts, read 143,609 times
Yeah, I heard the changes that have been made to that grocery store recently have been pretty impressive. I have yet to see it (it's been a while since I've been back to Scobey) but I used to shop there when it was under previous ownership. I also shopped at the other grocery store, whose employees are definitely funnier.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Good to know the store is in good hands. I was just telling my DH we should take another swing around the eastern part again this spring. This time we'll stop in with more ease. Love PBS's "Backroads of MT"...there are several places we'd like to see. Anyone else visited the "ringing rocks" at the base of Homestake Pass? Another interesting place to spend a little while.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
Anyone else visited the "ringing rocks" at the base of Homestake Pass? Another interesting place to spend a little while.
Drove thru there about a million times and never heard of 'em. Do tell more??

Of course, I was usually concentrating on revving up so I could make it UP Homestake with my little engine that barely could

Old 03-28-2009, 03:46 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
Love PBS's "Backroads of MT"...there are several places we'd like to see.
Excellent series! I've put many "to see" places on my list from watching this series. Most libraries should have them in stock to check out.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Ringing Rocks

Heading east to west, just before you head up Homestake, keep a close eye out for a small sign on the right for "Ringing Rocks". Take that right, which doubles back to the east (gravel road). Follow this for 5 extremely winding miles -- the road is fine for compact car, no 4x4 needed but the last 200 yds are pretty bumpy. Road opens up at the rocks, large enough to easily turn several rigs around. In front of you is a massive pile of rocks. Bring your hammer, walk/climb around on the rocks, tapping away. There are a few that sound "out of tune", but for the most part, each rock has a great sound. Something about the make-up of the rocks, coupled with the way they sit against one another, makes them "ring". Remove a rock and it's just a rock...no sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana