Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 AM

8 posts, read 15,213 times

Advertisements

Idaho is very nice. What is taking you to that area, family, job, ect.? I know how hard it must be for you in Stocton, it is scary to think of our children going to school in areas like Stocton or Modesto. Good luck to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 11:07 AM

313 posts, read 834,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W View Post
Idaho is very nice. What is taking you to that area, family, job, ect.? I know how hard it must be for you in Stocton, it is scary to think of our children going to school in areas like Stocton or Modesto. Good luck to you and your family.
Thank you. Things in Stockton actually weren't that bad when we first moved here 3 years ago. They had really started cleaning up the problems and the gangs seemed like they were calming down a bit. Most of the probs were in S stockton. Since we have been here things have just gotten so bad! They are all over now and it is crazy! I know Modesto is getting pretty bad as well tho. My sis lives there still so we are out there usually a couple times a month.

Yeah, I really don't want to send the kids to school here. My daughter could have started K this year but we didn't put her in knowing that we are going to ID before this time next year. She is before the deadline here in Ca but the deadline in ID to start school is Sept. 1st. She will be the same age as her classmates since we didn't start her here. I was terrified of the thought of her going to school here. She actually did start K4 this year in a private school but only because my MIL just started working there and is taking care of things.

We actually have been looking for somewhere to move for 4-5 years now. We just looked into other states that interested us. When we would rule one out we would look at another. My DH suggested ID a few times and I kept saying no but I started looking at it just to see. We took a trip out that way last summer and just fell in love with the area. We don't have family out there but since we decided to move my hubby's Aunt decided to move with us. She has 4 adopted kids and needs to get them out of this area before they get older. Anyways, we just like the area, there is a decent amount of jobs, the houses are a lot cheaper than here and the people are so very friendly. We can't wait to be out there! Thats saying a lot because I was dead set against not moving because I did not want to leave my family. My new family is most important tho so I need to do what is best for them. Good luck!

Last edited by StampinTami; 09-14-2006 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W View Post
This is James' wife Amber and i do most of the responding, he just likes to read and give me feedback. Where are you here in CA.Good luck to you and your family, looking forward to hearing about you trip. We are plannig a trip sometime before Christmas.
Hi Amber, check your private messages.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 146,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
I want to live where you can wave at a stranger, drive the speed limit without people running over you, even look someone in the eye without it resulting in being shot.
I agree with you 100% California has gotten bad for crime

Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 6,184 times
Default Montana from Stockton

We moved out of Stockton's College View area this last February and now live full time in Lincoln, MT. We've had our place here for over 15 years and used to come up in the summer for a month or so. Now with retirement we are able to put the crime of Stockton in the past and live in this beautiful little town full time.

My grandparent's homesteaded up here and growing up I spent every summer at their home here in Montana. I was a bit worried about the winters but I've found I love it!! We got our first little bit of snow yesterday.

While we don't have any children still in school, I can say that education seems to be a prioity here. This past school year 18 out of approx. 20 high school seniors got scholarships to colleges. Smaller number of students in classes which is a big plus I think. The school has football, basketball, volleyball, etc. The town has Little League although the baseball season is a lot shorter here.

We are up in the mountains - one grocery store, one gas station, restrauants, bars, churches. I wouldn't go back to CA for anything.
Debbie

Old 09-23-2006, 07:35 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Do the politicians in charge in California know how many good residents they are losing to other states? Do they know and just not care? I don't get it, it seems like such a shame. Just curious!
It is sad I know. I think politicians are more interested in how they can raise the taxes, rather than keeping good citizens in the state. At the same time, California has also been a state of apartment dwellers and people on the move. New CA dreamers are moving in everyday in the chance of making it, so the influx/deflux numbers are softer.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I'll try and call my friends tonight. I know what you mean though - about moving where you know someone. My husband's job has taken us from MT to MN to WY. We haven't known anyone any place we moved. It's a lot easier I suppose if you know someone.
Out of the three states which do you prefer?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default preferred state

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Probably WY. The people are great and it's beautiful here. It is like Montana was when I was growing up except jobs are better (more plentiful and more pay). MN was awful. Had a hard time making friends and the weather was awful. In the first year in WY we had more friends and it felt like home than in all the years in MN.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley

Probably WY. The people are great and it's beautiful here. It is like Montana was when I was growing up except jobs are better (more plentiful and more pay). MN was awful. Had a hard time making friends and the weather was awful. In the first year in WY we had more friends and it felt like home than in all the years in MN.

That is another reason I was researching WY. Someone recommended not going there because of the wind, but I still want to look into it. ID was not on my list at all, but is now also, after hearing so many positive things.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcalifornia View Post
Hi James W. Sounds like your reasons are the same as ours. We are about 40 miles north of you and it's getting so bad here. We are looking into moving to Montana next summer and have been doing a ton of research. We have family that has lived in Great Falls for 20+ years and absolutely love it. My brother owns a hunting lodge in Dillon which is near Butte and he just recently bought property there and has started to build. He and his family will be moving there the same time as us. We will be in Montana the first two weeks of October seriously checking things out in both Great Falls and the Dillon/Butte area. I will let you know what I find out and I'm hoping it's all great stuff!
Great Falls??... there now you're talking my language....

Little secret.......

Usually, in the winter, in the construction industry, we work most all winter...hint hint..... February is usually the coldest and slowest month.....
It's December 26 and so far we've only shut down for two weeks (10 days) this year......(since September)
Right now, as I write this, it's 46 degrees and it's 5:36pm.......
We put 36 yards of mud (concrete) on the ground today.

Some may say that winter lasts for 9 months, but here in beautiful north central Montana, we measure winter by how many pay checks we get from Sept to middle April..... winters are fairly short when you look at it that way.... heh heh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana