Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,979,310 times

Advertisements

Elk Hunter, All you can take is dead and down? ouch......

I don't know which site you picked off the BTU's at, but here we get red oak, white oak, red maple , sugar maple, beech, birch, and ash commonly. If there is quaking aspen in bought wood, or any ever green, un-asked for there will be a fight.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................

Well hidden? You guys need to hide fire wood? From who?

Once I had a theif come when I was at work and he stole a cord. Had he asked me i wouldn't be bitter and he could have had the cord.

As it was he came back once, but this time he stole wood I marked, but the marking wasn't what it was about, I marked it because the marked wood contained a pound of black powder.

So I lost 2 cords, but never that 3rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
<snip>
Once I had a theif come when I was at work and he stole a cord. Had he asked me i wouldn't be bitter and he could have had the cord.

As it was he came back once, but this time he stole wood I marked, but the marking wasn't what it was about, I marked it because the marked wood contained a pound of black powder.

So I lost 2 cords, but never that 3rd.
Back-when I never cut anything but dead or down myself, but usually I was cutting what I needed right then, not for next year.

Good trick with the black powder, I'll bet that made a spectacular surprise

Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM

451 posts, read 1,000,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Good trick with the black powder, I'll bet that made a spectacular surprise
Yeah. A bit like hiding onions in the pancakes...

Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

I don't know which site you picked off the BTU's at, but here we get red oak, white oak, red maple , sugar maple, beech, birch, and ash commonly. If there is quaking aspen in bought wood, or any ever green, un-asked for there will be a fight.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................

- snip -.
Yes, all you can take off of National Forest is dead and down.

Got it right HERE.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,173,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Yeah. A bit like hiding onions in the pancakes...
But I like onions in my pancakes!!

Figure what with all the drought in recent years, there oughta be more than enough standing deadwood...??

Speaking of permits, my sister got some sort of permit to dig baby trees in the national forest, to move to her place. I think she got aspen and various pines. (And had to fence each tree to keep out the elk.)

Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM

In the White Mountains National Forest you can draw a permit for a fairly low fee, and cut on that lot as stated on the permit, which can cover which trees you can take live. I think what they do is decide if the area is going to be a clear cut, or to be a selective cut, and if it is a selective cut, the trees will be marked.

A part of the rule is you clean up the dead and down, and clean up the slash, atleast not leaving any slash over 18 inches high.

It's been a while since i logged off NF lands and prefer private lands.

The last time i saw any wardens I was out with my musket to 'top off' a x-mass tree. I had a dollar permit, which was partly showing in a shirt pocket, so the warden became curious as to why i was carrying a flintlock Nor' West Gun, instead of a chain saw.

Certainly some of you guys 'top off' a x-mass tree right?

Cutting a year ahead just makes sence. Cutting a bit more adds up.

Stopping thieves with hi power fire wood, means the theif has to make it known he is a theif. He can't excatly go to the cops and complain any, and show his stove is blown to bits.

If a man came in needs and told me he NEEDED heat, I would give him a cord of dry hardwood, and i have. A logger buddy of mine with truck problems and who doesn't, also had a El Prego Wife, and he was just down a while, so I gave him 2 cords for free.

I visited Mt once in 05, and liked the place lots. I didn't get to see very much, but the little I did see was beautiful.

One place i stayed at, the folks kept a St Bernard. What a big fuzzy fool that dog was. I played stick with him as he had swiped a stick of fire wood, some 4 feet long

Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,076,006 times
Default Firewood.

Folks burn what they can get easy. There is a lot of beetle kill lodge-pole all over. Larch is great but good luck finding much that is dead or down !
Some folks burn cottonwood and pizz-fir but I won't ~~ those woods stink. I like Red Fir, blow down all over and all the dead Lodge-pole Pine cuz it's easy.
I can't get my saw started so I may have to buy wood this year.

Here are two pictures of the Western Larch (also known as "Tamarack" and to a much lesser extent as "Hackmatack")
Larch splits easy across the knots and is very much like Western Red Cedar. ~♥~
One is reminded every fall how much of Montana's forests are comprised of this fine wood.

I took these just a few days ago.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TMI-WJY0RxI/AAAAAAAAGDE/EIqDjrwJABY/s512/IMG_1315.JPG (broken link)

The peaks in the shot above are in the distance in this shot.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TMI7f71MHpI/AAAAAAAAGCo/7z4gE6OmjXI/s512/IMG_1311.JPG (broken link)

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Nice pics. Real pretty places out that way. The close up looks like around here, but I know the mt's are much bigger. I don't have any recent pics, the foliage here is past peak, but hangin in there pretty well for the season.

I'ld help with that saw, but the distance is a smidgen far. One of my huskys coughed up a goo ball from lack of use, but i got that cleared and it runs like a husky runs. My far older mid 80's little limber 242xp runs like a scalded dog, always has.

Do your larch drop all the needles in winter? They do here. I have never needed to burn any for fire wood, but have used the sticks dropped off them as fire boards and spindles for a bow drill. It works ok for that, but i prefer stag horn sumac to all. Here stag horn is considered a weed.

It is very pretty tree really, and grows fast in abused sandy soils. The red berries make a nice tea, which is plenty acceptable with no sweetening. I have no idea if it grows there.

Back in Sept 05 leaving Mt for Utah and a friends in American Fork, he pointed out a red tree in foliage, and said it was sugar maple. I laughed thinking it was a joke, but sure enough there, 18 inch tall trees were really sugar maple. That seems to be as tall as they get in the Provo Canyon area.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,382,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
....... Larch is great but good luck finding much that is dead or down !........
A lot of the dead and down Larch is being harvested for decorative beams. For example, Birch Creek Lumber Design in Stevensville is getting huge premiums for custom built decorative trusses for "great rooms". The dead and standing Larch has a lot of checking giving it a rustic look. Most of this is going to places like The Yellowstone Club.

In terms of firewood, my neighbor just paid $260/cord for oak, which was considered a "steal" here in the Sierra foothills. Commercial firewood suppliers typically get around $350/cord. Of course, propane will soon be pushing $3/gal. In California it will soon be cheaper to just burn a cord of one dollar bills.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
soon be cheaper to just burn a cord of one dollar bills.
Ain't that the truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana