Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:59 PM

77 posts, read 337,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Kat, Bekins is a crapshoot..My experience with them clearly was bad and whenever I see a Bekins van now I think thoughts along the lines of vengeance...
But, I used North American before that and while they weren't 100%, in retrospect, they sure were better than Bekins. I had considered Mayflower, but I went with the cheapest bid too. Luckily I don't intend to ever move again!

We used United Vanlines last time (from Denver to Southern Cal...this was a corporate relocation). It was ok. They dropped our Armoire coming down the stairs at our house in Colorado which broke on of the feet off. They did fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM

138 posts, read 468,720 times
Just let me tell you about some moving experiences!! I worked for the government, and was transferred a bit- boy, did I learn! The gov uses United, and I used them 2 times on my own. The first time it was perfect- not a single thing broken- the driver even saw me on the highway, followed me off an exit and stopped at the gas staion just to see if everything was ok! The next move on my own, also with United, I packed all my own stuff. I had a large collection of 1976 quarters, and silver dollars. (The moving company many times just gets local help from the unemployment office I later found out). Anyway, the drivers helper never showed up the next day. When we got to Florida, the driver did not have any help to unload, so I had to help with what I could. (I am female, so I wouldn't do the real heavy stuff). Well, I too was missing a couple boxes, and ended up with someone elses things. Also, later, I realized that my money collection was missing. You get only one time to file for what is missing- if you realize later that there is something else gone- too bad! Also, do not let the driver tell you that he cannot'wait' for you to be at the unloading site. If you are leaving at the same time - and will be at the unloading site in a day or two after the driver gets there- he can't tell you that he has to unload 'now'. He can wait a day for you to get there. Also, VERY important: when the movers are 'assessing' each piece of furniture as they load it, (he will fill out a form for each piece- saying whether it is in excellent condition, has a few scratches, is in fair condition, with some scratches, etc. Even if the piece is BRAND NEW, if you are not at his side, looking over his shoulder- telling him you want to see what condition he has marked, he will mark it 'lower' on the scale than what it really is. This way, if you have to make a claim- say it was a perfect table with no marks- his paper will say it was in 'fair' condition, and you will have to fight for the higher, true price. Also, there is an insurance- it was a flat rate of $100 when I last moved (1997)- this is for total replacement costs. GET IT!!! You will recoup that amount when you file your claim- and I will bet that you will have to. The last move I did, there were 5 large boxes lost. This might, or might not be a way for you to do it yourself- buy a horse trailer- the basic stock trailer- the biggest you can find that will hold your things. Use that to haul, and then sell the trailer when you get to the place you are moving to. It may not be an option for you if you don't have a truck that can haul 14,000 pounds. I don't know if it makes any sense to rent a truck, and do your own moving- I did that for my last move, but it was only 200 miles, and I am used to driving a dually and large horse trailer. Hope this has opened your eyes a little and will keep you from getting scammed. Good luck. ( I have aways wondered- is there a big room in the sky where all 'lost' furniture/boxes go? They never show up.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:40 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default packing yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan View Post
MoMark -- that's horrible. I'm so sorry you experienced that. Stories like that make me think it might make sense to do it ourselves. . . We don't want to pack ourselves but it wouldn't be the end of the world and I bet we could pay extra people to help us move the stuff into a truck.

KatWrangler -- I hope your move goes well. Would you mind me asking what vicinity your bids have been in? I realize the distance is shorter but I'm curious to know how much stuff you're moving and the general range of your estimates. But if you're not comfortable posting that information I completely understand.
Dangerousdan - when we moved to WY we rented a Uhaul truck but hired someone (got his name thru Uhaul) to help us pack and load the truck. It was well worth the $. He gave us good tips on packing and helped load the truck. We got way more stuff in that truck than I ever thought possible. We have also used a moving company. We used United. Had a good experience. They did break my dining room table (antique) but were very good about getting it repaired. Can't even see where it was damaged.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM

48 posts, read 133,595 times
Default thanks everyone!

KatWrangler -- that's helpful. Everyone is helpful. I think we'll try to pay someone to pack and load and then we'll drive the truck and possibly unload or find someone on the other end to help. Like maybe my brother

Old 12-26-2006, 04:10 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times
I think when my wife and I move, we will do it ourselves. I have a car trailer, and a horse trailer. It will take several trips (5 vehicles), but at least it will be done right. We will probably sell off most of our furniture (except beds and electronics), since it's old anyway, and not worth the cost of hauling it. Might be able to get away with one large uhaul, and my car trailer (with my 65 Vette on it) My wife can drive the Suburban and the horse trailer (with horses of course)

Old 12-26-2006, 10:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
I think when my wife and I move, we will do it ourselves. I have a car trailer, and a horse trailer. It will take several trips (5 vehicles), but at least it will be done right. We will probably sell off most of our furniture (except beds and electronics), since it's old anyway, and not worth the cost of hauling it. Might be able to get away with one large uhaul, and my car trailer (with my 65 Vette on it) My wife can drive the Suburban and the horse trailer (with horses of course)
Hauling horses??....

Stop and walk and water frequently.....

In the day, I would haul horses some very long distances from Montana to Seattle, Portland, and as far away as Cio, Ohio......

I would stop every 100 to 150 miles walk, water and rest the horse(s).
You might already be aware that horses stress easily, especially on very long trips.
At night, I would pull into a rest area, and tether them, outside of the trailer......or in a nearby grassy area.

Of course, these were sold to others, and it was very important that the horse arrive in the very best possible condition and weight.

If you are bringing them from a warm southern climate, then don't worry about blanketing them while in the trailer..... they can stay plenty warm in there next to each other.......

You might consider blanketing them if they are going to be out of the trailer for a few hours or so in the colder weather though..... you might also consider blanketing them once they get to their final destination, until they can become more acclimated to their new environmet.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-26-2006 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 AM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times
Thanks GiftShoppeGuy, for the great advice We have a 2 horse trailer, but 3 horses, so I will have to talk my wife into getting rid of one maybe. This will all happen several years from now.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:07 AM

35 posts, read 208,337 times
I guess I'm too late to help, dangerousdan, but for anyone else, maybe it will. When we moved from Mississippi to SW MT. we used ABF-Arkansas Best Freight. You'll see them all over, their trailers have a green and yellow stripes, piggy backing most of the time. They are a family owned business based in Fort Smith Ark. They haul freight all over the US. Several years ago, one of them got the idea, that they had *empty space* in lots of their trailers that they could utilize. They might be hauling a ½ load of jeans and they will use the rest of the space for moving someone. You have one of those metal dividers between. You pay by the foot, not weight. They bring the trailer to your home and park it for a few days, you pack it, they pick it up, drive it to your new home, you unpack it. We moved over 1900 miles, I don't think we paid milage. I think it cost us around $5400 4 years ago. We had some good help packing, nothing broke. I think there were some scratches on some stuff, but it was our fault. The cost was well worth it. We could even track our load online. They were very nice people to talk with and work with.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I'm gonna just buy (or rent) a semi, and resell it (at a loss, of course...)
found a Kenworth and 53' trailer for $9,000.. I do have my CDL (required on 'combinations' with trailers over 10,000#, or single vehicles over 26,000#)

My desired plan is to buy a 'hooklift' truck (like they deliver 'refuse' boxes + pup) then 2 containers, and load one with household and one with shop, and hit the road. Unfortunately I'll have to make extra trips if I want to bring my Bulldozer, Bobcat, and excavator. It's my 26 diesel VW's that I'll have to leave behind
They should go good at an auction, I bought most for under $100, but a 50mpg car that will run on fryer grease (no OPEC / Dinosaurs required) can be nice to have around the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: