Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Why would people waiting for you to finish speaking and then reply in a courteous manner bother you?

Unfortunately the people I work with in Helena don't do that. They will cut you off and overrun your words in a heartbeat. It's very disrespectful and I do not care for folks who do that. It tells me they have no manners or any respect for others.
It doesn't bother me as in upsetting me, it bothers me because I'm in a faster "corporate" city mode at the moment and they are in a slower Montana mode.

It's not the politeness and thoughtfullness that get to me, I just want to hurry up and get to the point, get business done and move on to the next thing.
Politely and thoughtfully, of course!
Just a little faster.

And,,,,I've learned that if people are cutting you off and interrupting you all the time, it's probably because you talk to much.....

(I don't mean you personally BTW, so don't get upset.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM

24 posts, read 63,123 times
LOL. I understand about the impatience that you mentioned, pdxMIKEpdx. I was born and raised on a farm in eastern MT, then moved into the 8 to 5 workaday world (still in Montana). Some of the difference in the speaking style you mentioned is not so much between Montana and elsewhere, but between the rural (ie farmers and ranchers) vs 8 to 5, working for an employer, style. Many of the older farmers you talk to aren't in any hurry to get anywhere or make their point, heh heh. I suppose I'm still somewhat that way, but not as much. As for saying "warsh" I started doing it when I wanted to sound "folksy", then it became something of a habit.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Creek, or crick? I grew up in Southern Utah, it is a "crick".

Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 PM

24 posts, read 63,123 times
Definitely "crick".

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
We have "Cricks" around here that we fish in. On TV, they have "Creeks".

Yes, we warsh the car, but we hang out the wash on the clothesline.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
That's what their accent is like a mix of Southern and Canadian then.
I could definitely agree that a Southern dialect has had some influence on ours in the Northern Rockies, but what is this nonsense about a Canadian accent component? Montanans might sound very similar to Albertans and British Columbians (we do border both provinces after all), but I'm not getting why anyone would consider our accents "Canadian" (how often, for example, do western Americans get mistaken for Canadians when abroad?)

Montanans have a pretty generic, fairly neutral accent that is commonly considered a "Western accent." I personally notice very few distinctions in the dialects of people I've met from largely every other western state/region--the "Western accent" characterization makes much, much more sense to me.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
In western movies, it's always portrayed as sounding pretty Southern/country, which always confused me as a kid. But everyone I've actually met from the West (Montana, Wyoming) sounded nothing like that. I couldn't tell the difference between a Montana accent or a Midwestern accent.

Yes I heard that too, movies are sometime realistic and sometime unrealistic in very funny way like cartoons. Some people has tendencies to believe in what ever they saw in movies, such thinking can really drive them to wrong way.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,567 times
I always have people tell me I have a very Northern accent (I'm assuming that means semi-Canadian). I don't say "warsh" and have not heard anyone say that since I was a kid (I think most of those people passed away). I do say root and roof with some of the sound you might hear in the word "rough." I don't hear much of a Southern accent anywhere, although I do hear a goofy country "cowboy" accent by some rural people, in some rural communities, but I think they've made a conscious decision to talk like that. We can say creek or crick and coyote or coyotee interchangeably.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
So do y'all say KI-ote or ki-YOH-tee?

I grew up in MT saying it the first way, but acquired the second in CA. (The second is actually more correct, being closer to the original word, coyotl.)

Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM

155 posts, read 714,601 times
I grew up here as well, and I say Ki-ote......... you don't say REE MOH TEE for remote do you?

Ha ha.... i believe you are correct though that the prononciation is ki yoh tee. It just seems off to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana