Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM

67 posts, read 126,588 times

Advertisements

I hear that Whitefish is a beautiful place. Any thoughts or advice about moving there?
What are your favorite places in Montana?
How is the economy and job market there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,566,220 times
It is very picturesque small town resort area with a seasonal economy--- summer Glacier park tourists & winter Big Mountain skiers. It is close to border so when the Canadian dollar is high Canadians frequent the area.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM

67 posts, read 126,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It is very picturesque small town resort area with a seasonal economy--- summer Glacier park tourists & winter Big Mountain skiers. It is close to border so when the Canadian dollar is high Canadians frequent the area.
What other areas of Montana would you suggest?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,025,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullo View Post
I hear that Whitefish is a beautiful place. Any thoughts or advice about moving there?
What are your favorite places in Montana?
How is the economy and job market there?
It is a beautiful area but you can't eat scenery. The cost of living is high and the wages in Montana are, for the most part, low compared to the national average. Western Montanans are also often not the most welcoming of outsiders. I'm not saying you won't make it in Montana, but it is important to do your homework and make sure you actually can afford to live there. Scenery should never be a primary reason for moving somewhere.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,566,220 times
There are many many many cool places in Montana. You need financial security to enjoy living in any of them. Start with several job offers and check back.

mtjobs.gov

Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 AM

7,401 posts, read 12,731,071 times
Hullo, if you could be more specific about what you're looking for, you'd get more detailed responses. The forum is full of threads and info about every corner of Montana, but you have to do some searches. That's part of the fun of being a member of C-D, as far as I'm concerned. Montana is a very large state, with many different cultural areas and ecosystems. I see (other posts) that you're also interested in CO, so I assume you want mountains. But there are entire regions of MT where you have to travel far to get to mountains. "Favorite places" is a very subjective thing, and fave places for visiting may be totally different than places for settling down. So what is your top priority, and what kind of work will you be looking for?

Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,497 times
Wanna talk cost of living we are leaving Hawaii for montana and I can't wait to leave we pay 1400$ for a one bedroom dump and milk is 5.00 a gallon as is gas @ 4.65$ a gallon my husband has a transfer offer making same amount here, there and being able to rent for half what we pay here and twice the size I will gladly deal with winter! Hawaii is not paradise it is humid no winds and expensive I lived in Lolo and that is where we are going! Goodbye 90 deg with 100% humidity and hello freezing cold!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,201,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisna04 View Post
Wanna talk cost of living we are leaving Hawaii for montana and I can't wait to leave we pay 1400$ for a one bedroom dump and milk is 5.00 a gallon as is gas @ 4.65$ a gallon my husband has a transfer offer making same amount here, there and being able to rent for half what we pay here and twice the size I will gladly deal with winter! Hawaii is not paradise it is humid no winds and expensive I lived in Lolo and that is where we are going! Goodbye 90 deg with 100% humidity and hello freezing cold!
Things aren't exactly cheap here either. My sister lives in Honolulu and she comes here to visit. I went to the grocery store with her during her last visit and she was buying the same foods she buys in HI. Yogurt, bread, cereal etc. etc. She complained that it was more expensive here than it was in Honolulu.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Thinking about to relocating to Montana, I'm From Miami Beach and I'm a Chef with expertise in International Food, I like the great outdoors and hunting, I need some advise about witch place in Montana is better for living. Employment is essential as well housing, just something to start until I find my way. I'm easy to adapt in any environment, and a good communicator, a leader by nature. Any help or advise is appreciate, thanks in advance, Ciao!!!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM

6,760 posts, read 8,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvestry75 View Post
Thinking about to relocating to Montana, I'm From Miami Beach and I'm a Chef with expertise in International Food, I like the great outdoors and hunting, I need some advise about witch place in Montana is better for living. Employment is essential as well housing, just something to start until I find my way. I'm easy to adapt in any environment, and a good communicator, a leader by nature. Any help or advise is appreciate, thanks in advance, Ciao!!!
Look to the tourist areas. Much of Montana is pretty meat and potatos with few flights into exotic foods.

Big Sky, Kalispell, Whitefish, some of the dude ranches would probably be the best place to start. I worked as a chef for several years, believe me, most of your orders when folks are dining out are steak and prime rib here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana