Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM

19,905 posts, read 22,843,106 times

Advertisements

I had a choice between moving here (Helena) or Denver. Even though we have family in CO (Estes Park and Longmont), we chose MT. It's simply too crowded for us on the front range down there. It's a 10.5-11hr drive to see family, and we are content with that.

Oh and I wouldn't dream of moving here without a job. Not with a family- no way. Now if I was single and maybe came out with a few friends? Yeah- I'd do it. I couldn't jeapordize not being able to adequately support my family due to a blind move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,814,820 times
Montana unemployment rate 5.8%.

Billings Mt 4.3% unemployment rate.

Montana is one of low unemployment states, except in the 7 Indian Reservation areas (some as big as smaller U.S. states) under the control of the U.S. Government who fight bringing jobs to the area and letting the Indians run their lives.

Also if you want to live in the mountain areas of Montana it is like other Rocky Mountain states, in that is where people live for skiing, and supporting the hotel, restaurant, and gift shop business, to live in the mountains, which means higher unemployment and low wages.

The oil patch part in the North East corner of Montana, I saw a McDonald's sign they needed help and paid $22 per hour. In that small area, wages are high and so is the cost of living, and unemployment is something like 2%.

People see the employment picture as it is in their own local area.

Remember Montana is as large as the entire North East, and job opportunities vary depending on the part of the state you are considering.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,155,738 times
Between the two, Montana and Colorado, I would have to say Montana, hands down.

I have spent short times (few months) in both states and have traveled a bit in both states. Both are anal when it comes to taxes, be it State Income tax, or Property tax. I will say that Colorado was a bit more anal than Montana. When I first went there, it was because a friends father had a heart attack and it was a family business. I went down to help until they could get back on their feet. I was there 33 days, living in a 8x40 travel trailer. As I was packing up and getting ready to leave, the Sheriff pulled in and reminded me that I needed to stop at the court house and pay my Personal Property Tax before leaving. Huh? 33 days? And yes, I had to pay for the entire year. So Colorado drew negatives from me, right away. I believe in paying my way and contributing to the community, but really?

The deciding factor for me would be the fact that Montana is less commercial, by a long shot. It seemed that everywhere I went in Colorado was either a touristy area or wanting to be a touristy area and they plugged the area as such. In Montana, you have the area's with the McMansions and as DLP says, the concrete jungle, but it is still a lot less than Colorado. Another thing is that Colorado is entirely too busy, too many people.

If you were going to compare the two for Medical reasons, I would still take Montana. Several areas in Montana have really built up medical services through the years. Billings has really become a mecca for Medical Care. Obviously, Denver would have specialties that Montana may not, but for that once in a lifetime need, Montana does have flights that go to Denver.

I think that Montana is more beautiful. When I look out across mountains and see prestene mountain range, I want to do that by hiking or horseback in order to get there, not just stop along I-70 and take a few pictures.

I also think that for the buck, you'll get a lot more in Montana and because of everything I've listed, you'll get more piece of mind.

In Montana the people are going to wonder what you brought to the plate. What skills do you have, how are you going to contribute to the community, what kind of neighbor are you and do you fit.

In Colorado, I had the feeling from the people, of what kind of job do I have so that I can buy that sparkling SUV and fit into the cliche of the neighbors. What kind of parties or dinners am I going to have and just what circle would I fit in. Where do I shop, what kinds of shoes does my wife have, etc.... Just too commercial.

Before you ask, in Colorado I got that feeling in a town of 1,000 people and I got that feeling in Denver. Montana is more concerned with how you are as a human, a father, a husband, a neighbor, a co-worker, not concerned with what credit cards you have and what stores you shop at.

Good luck on your decision. If you choose Montana, start hunting for a job well in advance. Just because Montana has a low unemployment rate, has nothing to do with jobs available. Many folks have two or more jobs. People that have been unemployed for a while and are no longer drawing a unemployment check, don't count on the talley for unemployment rate. That rate is only decided from those registered with the Employment Office and either drawing an unemployment check, or at least registered and actively seeking employment through the office.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM

343 posts, read 355,893 times
I live in montana, and while i like the scenery, most of the responses are correct. Montana and Colorado are virtually identical, but, Colorado is the one that has an economy. Come to Montana with your own business or a really deep bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana