Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM

294 posts, read 546,986 times

Advertisements

In Maryland you can to a certain extent, judge a book by its cover. If it looks, walks and talks like a redneck, it is one. Same look in Montana may very well have a PHD, be a general in the military and build high end furniture as a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM

355 posts, read 1,149,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Why give up your jetski? Yellowtail Reservoir isn't far from Billings, and Deadmans Basin, Yellow Water, Petrolia Lake and countless others are within easy commute and lots of folks jetski/waterski/boat here.
Don't forget Canyon Ferry, too. Gobs of jetskis out there in the summer.

Quote:
The Rocky Mountain oysters gag is one that is played on lots of folks, don't feel alone in that. Some folks consider it a delicacy, I am not one of them however.
I find the use of the word "gag" here both funny and Freudian considering your distaste of RM oysters. Were the subject lutefisk, it would be even more appropo.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,201,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

We aren't a desert here, and the opportunity for all kinds of water sports is available and utilized by lots of people all summer long and into the spring and fall before freeze up. The Yellowstone River runs right through Billings and Riverfront park is a great place to recreate.

You may find you really like whitewater rafting or kiyaking, floating a canoe on a lake or river, floating the rivers in tubes or rafts, there are some areas that have great snorkling and scuba opportunities because our water is so clear.
Actually, Montana, by definition is a desert. I believe the annual precipitation here is 11-13 inches. That is one of the biggest negatives for me. Too dry. Humidity can be a pain but it also means you have moisture. Here, we have to irrigate to have green grass even 5 months a year. We actually got hit with a $300.00 water bill last July and we have less than 1/2 acre. It's brown the majority of the year.

If you want to be in a place to enjoy your boat, I recommend Helena, Kalispell, or Billings. We live north of Helena and enjoy access to three nearby lakes (and also the Missouri river) with our power boat. Of course it's not a place you would find work with the railroad. As a previous poster mentioned, that limits you to the hi-line or Billings I guess (I don't know much about Billings).

You mentioned your significant other is in law enforcement? I recommend looking into Shelby. It has the railroad in town and also a major (for Montana standards) border crossing nearby. The majority of border agents live in town.

Oh, and you mentioned job prospects in Billings and Essex. I expect you've done some research but those two towns might as well be on different planets. Although Essex may be pretty and is on the doorstep of Glacier National park, it's not a place I'd ever live. Do a little research on the surrounding area.

Last edited by Vegabern; 01-24-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,201,562 times
About your weather question; As you know, Montana is a large state. The weather can vary dramatically even in winter. Thompson Falls is in the "banana belt" and stays pretty mild during the winter where Butte or Wisdom might as well be in the arctic circle. You would have to narrow down your search for an accurate assesment of the weather. If you want to experience the extremes, a visit in January/February and July/August should give you an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana