Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM

182 posts, read 449,639 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Denver late June and flying back out 8 days later. Our goal is Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons but I want to see Montana and Little BigHorn for sure.

I plan on heading north out of Denver towards Buffalo and Sheridan, WY on the way to Little BigHorn then turn from there towards Yellowstone and the Tetons on our way back towards Denver.

Should I try and stay in Sheridan then start early in Little BigHorn and after that spend the night in Billings and work our way to Yellowstone? Or would it be better to just go from Buffalo, WY where we will spend the night to Billings and go to Little BigHorn from there?

As a family we want to stay somewhere with reasonable hotel prices and eating places. I assume there is very little around the park if anything at all and if so it would be expensive.

Finally, when we leave Billings headed towards Yellowstone/Grand Tetons we will probably spend 2-3 days in that area so we won't see near all of it. Should we head south out of Billings into the park or continue west from Billings to Bozeman then head south into the park? I have read the west side of the park is cheaper to stay possibly.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
Summer rates will be in effect. Hotels will not be cheap anywhere in the Montana/Wyoming region. You should sit down with a map and make reservations now so you will have accomodations. Hotels will be full all summer.

After going to Big Horn go stay in Billings. Then head South out of Billings through Red Lodge over Beartooth to Cody entrance to get to Yellowstone. Cody is worth a day st the museums. The Beartooth highway is one of most scenic in the country.

Save money and eat healthier by using a cooler full of sandwich materials and cheeses, crackers, & deli snacks & bottles of water. You will not only save money but time.
Bring sunscreen. More people are surprised by sunburns at high elevations because the temp is cooler.
Have a wonderful trip.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,082,824 times
Denver to Sheridan would make a good trip. Sheridan has more choices to offer than Buffalo does, both in motels and restaurants.

When you leave Sheridan, it's about an hour to Little Big Horn. If it was me, I wouldn't even go to Billings, but instead, backtrack into Wyoming and the first town you come to, Ranchester, and take highway 14 West across the Big Horns over to Cody. Sheridan, to Little Big Horn, over to Cody is a nice day trip also.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Denver to Sheridan would make a good trip. Sheridan has more choices to offer than Buffalo does, both in motels and restaurants.

When you leave Sheridan, it's about an hour to Little Big Horn. If it was me, I wouldn't even go to Billings, but instead, backtrack into Wyoming and the first town you come to, Ranchester, and take highway 14 West across the Big Horns over to Cody. Sheridan, to Little Big Horn, over to Cody is a nice day trip also.
I agree, I would skip Billings as well. It's not to say it's a bad town, but the drive that ElkHunter describes here is a really nice one.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 AM

31 posts, read 51,942 times
I think Elkhunter has a better plan, going all the way to Billings to get to Yellowstone is really the long way around a lot miles that you do not need to drive. The drive on Hwy 14 is exceptionally beautiful, and Cody has a must see museum.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM

163 posts, read 584,907 times
You could spend a whole day at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. It has 5 separate museums under one roof. there the Buffalo Bill, Greater Yellowstone Natural History, Plains Indians, Western Art and Firearms Museums, Buffalo Bill Historical Center

If you want to see lots of buffalo enter Yellowstone Park at the NE entrance through Silvergate. Go NW out of Cody on hwy 120/296 to Cooke City, MT and exit the park into Grand Teton. You can't go wrong any way through the Park.

Last edited by AndersonRM; 04-14-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
My reason for the Beartooth drive was OP's interest in Glacier. The Going to Sun highway in Glacier and the Beartooth highway are two most spec drives in Montana. And a stop in Red Lodge could provide change of pace before the park. Pictograph caves & Pompeys Pillar might be of interest to travelers. I would spend night in Billings then proceed to Park day after battlefield.

OP--How many days is the vacation? How much time do want to spend on the road each day? Is it better to drive, drive, drive and get to the Park and use your time there? If that is case skip battlefields, and go to Cody museums, & the parks and call it good. When in the parks get off the main boardwalks and take hikes on provided trails. Experiencing Yellowstone is best done away from the crowds.

The Rosebud battlefield state park is very good add-on to visit of Little Big Horn battlefield. Take a look at Google maps. There is a rural highway MT314 that runs from Sheridan through Kirby up to US212. Rosebud state park is on MT314. This rural road will give visitor a sample of typical Montana.

If battlefields were on see list, I would travel Denver, Cheyenne, DouglasWY, north to US212, West to Big Horn battlefield, then backtrack few miles on US212 to MT314, South to Rosebud battlefield, South to Sheridan, then West to Cody.

I believe the journey is most of the trip and getting off the Interstate is the key to great journey. If speed to destination is goal the Interstate is usually faster. Keep in mind Western states do all their road construction in the summer so you may wish consult state transportation sites to avoid roads with long construction delays. Off the beaten path is where you will find that unexpected gem of a piece of pie or a delightful conversation or wildlife moment.

When MT314 meets US212 it is only few miles West to Big Horn battlefield and Interstate 90. Then could get on Interstate90 back South toward Sheridan for Elk Hunter's route-- making a partial loop instead of a backtrack. There are many options.

Last edited by historyfan; 04-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana