Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM

25 posts, read 46,070 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all I was wondering if you would kindly share some of your favorite home-grown Montanan recipes.

I love to cook and I've always found that some of our best memories are often surround by good ole'homecookin, at least many of mine are.

Plus, I thought it would be great if I could make some of your favorites for my family and see what they think!

You can certainly add recipes for wild game as well if ya like.

I'd be happy to share some of mine too.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
OK here is my favorite.

Go camping at the nearest favorite fishing river and catch a brookie, rainbow, cut-bow or my fave, ~♥~ German brown trout.
Get them all cleaned up and ready to fry. Build a nice camp fire and shovel some coals into a grill, (or be a city slicker and use briquettes and yucky tasting lighter fluid.)
When at the river this time of year the wild asparagus should be sprouting along the riverbanks and you can cut a mess of them.
Coat the trout with flour and fry in olive oil.
Steam the asparagus sprouts and drizzle with a blend of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and hot sauce.

That's a simple western Montana springtime camping breakfast DLP™ style.

The rest of the day is spent drying out the sleeping bag from the leaky old tent and drying out the boots ya leave outside while rushing to get stuff under cover when the rainstorm suddenly popped up on the supposedly perfect camping week-end.
Welcome to Montana

Photo of my lean mean fishin machine below. Quiet and comfy with sonar for sneaking up on fish.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM

Thank you DLP! We will certainly try that...sounds very yummy. I don't believe I have ever had German brown trout before. I'm sure my husband as though. I'll ask him. I've had lots of rainbow and brook though!

I've had many of those camping trips....along with "wet dog" perfume. The one thing I can't wait for is be able to live in an area where we can actually go camping and use our heavy canvas tent! My hubby and his dad have used it of course, on many hunting trips. However, never on our family camping excursions. I'm really looking forward to that.

Love your boat. There's almost nothing better in this world than a great fishin spot! I can only dream of how beautiful and peaceful it must be where you cast your line..pure heaven.

Thank you for sharing your recipe with me.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times
Elk backstraps marinated in almost anything and then thrown in the smoker on low for a bunch of hours.

Goose breasts tossed in the crockpot with bbq sauce. Pull apart with a fork when they're done and make pulled pork style sandwiches.

Can't wait for hunting season to roll back around!!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
One of my favorites is Pronghorn Antelope tenderloin cut into medalions, then slit and a piece of garlic clove inserted into the middle.
A little salt and pepper, then the medalion is wrapped in bacon skewered and roasted over a campfire. (Coals work better than open flame).

Don't overcook! Antelope is a very delicate meat and dries out quickly,(that's why I wrap in Bacon), so while wild game must be thouroughly cooked, don't cremate it!!
Just till the juice runs clear, usually only a few minutes with turns of the skewer depending on the heat of your fire.
I like to have the bacon just crisped on the edges and colored as my gage.

Serve with potatoes baked in the coals with fresh real butter and sour cream.

I'm ready for hunting season to start again too!!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
You all are making me hungry.

Here is a simple breakfast that I conjured up shortly after moving up here to northwestern Montana.
I may have somehow remembered it from childhood days spending summers on my uncle's ranch and my Dadaw's ranch in Nevada. I still call it a "Montana recipe" cuz I'm here sitting here in Montana, cooking it in Montana and stuffing my face with it in Montana.

Cook up a mess of thin straight grain bacon in a large skillet, cook it slowly and remove the bacon when done from the skillet and place the crispy bacon in a warmer.
Dice up a mess of onions and potatoes (half inch cubes) and toss them in the bacon fat that is still in the skillet and cook the onion and potatoes slowly until almost done.
While the potatoes and onions are cooking, get a few eggs out and mince up a mess of fresh garlic.
Now crack the eggs into the skillet and throw the garlic in. Right away start cooking the eggs as "Scrambled eggs" along with the "done by now" other stuff in the skillet.
Be careful not to mush up the potatoes while scrambling the eggs into the mix.
Now is when you add salt, pepper and any herbs you please.
Plate it up with a few rashers of the crisp bacon on top of the potatoe/onion mix and serve with buttered toast with garlic powder sprinkled on the toast.
A dash of taco sauce is good on this simple dish too.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM

I am sooo hungry right now! I can't wait until we can try these recipes out, they sound so good.

Thanks all

Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 PM

BTW- Anything with bacon is always a winner!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Our family's favorite is bear stew, nothing beats back old-man winter like a hardy bowl of bear stew!

4lbs bear meat, cubed
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vegatable oil
2 -3 qts water
1 onion, chopped
1-2 gloves of garlic, depending on your fancy
1 cup beef broth
4 bay leaves
2 lbs red potatoes, cubed
1 lb fresh mushrooms
5 carrots, sliced
2-3 celery stalks, sliced

Combine the flour, salt and pepper ( make sure to add the salt and pepper to the flour, too many people don't and it really does make a difference!). Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the bear meat a little at a time in the flour and coat well, add meat to the hot oil,carefully. Then fry the meat until browned. Remove and drain.In a Dutch oven, add the water, cooked meat, onions, garlic, oregano, broth, bay leaves, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and celery. Mix well. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 -3 hours stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.

When done take some of the stew liquid and add flour, salt and pepper to taste to make bear gravy. Make your favorite biscuit recipe. Pour gravy over stew and biscuits. Enjoy!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM

297 posts, read 795,143 times
Take your favorite stew recipe, and instead of adding water, add the same amount of Cold Smoke ale. Makes the best gravy ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana