Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,274 times

Advertisements

After almost 20 years of suffering in the Texas heat and humidity, I am trying to make escape plans to get out of here. I grew up in the shadow of the Canadian Rockies and I am thinking about retiring to the Hamilton area in two to three years. Most of the posts about doing this seem to be a couple of years old, so is there anything new I should be considering? We are planning a scouting trip this fall to see what the area is really like but would like some first hand info from locals on things like cost of living (how much will my pension need to pay for me to live) real estate values and general Bitterroot Valley insider info. I currently live in an area of over 4 million people after growing up in a city of 50,000 and I have had enough of the big city. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,548,002 times
As a comparison rural Montana land costs are higher than rural Texas.
You might consider Stevensville as a retirement area in the Bitterroot.
How small of town would you consider? Eureka is interesting. Thompson Falls by the river can be nice. Places like Wilsall & Clyde Park have their fans as do Red Lodge and Bridger.
The heat in even the hottest areas of the state will not compare to misery of hot humid summers you are tired of. Take your time and drive loops around the state. There are many swell places. Good luck and happy retirement.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 AM

160 posts, read 301,742 times
The Bitterroot Valley is a gorgeous place. The first time you see it you will be in awe of its beauty.
I first visited it around 25 years ago and was struck by its grandeur. It has grown in population quite a bit in that time.

I would consider Montana Griz our resident BV expert. He may be able to help.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks to both of you for your reposes. I was hoping Montana Griz would reply as he seems to be very honest and factual in his responses. I'll wait and see if he has something to say. Otherwise, maybe see you in September when we tour the area.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,129,294 times
Not an expert.....just an old timer who is a realist and one who does his homework.

My time in the B R Valley (almost 35 years) has taught me that you PAY for the following when buying in the Hamilton area.

***Privacy...A great view...water (a stream or pond or lake)...., Trees.....Good Access..... Convenents.....quality of nearby homes and the location of the property.

In the last 35 years the cost per acre (in parcels from 12 to 20 Acres in the BR V) has increased approx by a factor of TEN.
And the available, desireable pieces of property have also approx decreased by a factor of TEN....

Again in my humble opinion the four most expensive areas to buy or build a home in MT are the Bozeman area....the Hamilton area....the Big Sky area and the Big Fork area on Flathead Lake.

This info is just my opinion ........"your mileage may vary"!!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Homework

Thanks Griz. This is the beginning of my homework. Having looked at some houses and very small acerages on real estate web sites, I think the prices there are comparable to here. The Dallas/Fort Worth area where we live has higher real estate values than most of the rest of the state and from what I have seen so far, I think I can do a lateral move without taking out a mortgage. I cannot afford to move back to the mother country (Alberta) because of some really outrageous tax laws so the Montana mountains is my next choice. I fully understand the "don't come here and try to change us" attitude that I have seen others write about because thats the way I felt living in the shadow of the Canadian Rockies. Having said that, do you think there is a feeling that the residents of the BR V don't want any more "foreigners" to move to the area? If so, I won't be one to come and try to force my way in. Missoula and Bozeman seem to be homey as well. I love the mountains and I miss being near them. I just need to find the right place to fit in as someone who used to live near the mountains but now has become a "big city Texan" (I really hate that term, but it does apply).
Thanks again for your insight.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 AM

281 posts, read 870,947 times
The Bitterroot is a beautiful area. Lived in Lolo for almost 6 years. It got hot in the summer though, but no where near as hot as the heat I experienced in Texas, Missouri, and Kansas. There's not a lot of a humidity that I could feel, it's more of a dry heat but, it does get hot. Last summer in Lolo, it never broke 100 but it did get up to 98 most days in July and Aug. Starts to do a cool down in Sept. I have been in Hamilton quite a lot in summer and it's very much the same heat - wise as Florence and Lolo. The nights will usually cool down very nicely and you can open the house. During the day we sometimes had to shutter the house and run the a/c.

I would probably stay away from Missoula if you are looking to have some peace lol. I'm sorry, not a fan of Missoula ..... at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana