Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM

281 posts, read 872,174 times

Advertisements

Please remember the following, especially if you are visiting in small towns:

1. Please remember that people actually live here, have to get some sleep, wake up the next day and go to work to earn their livings.

2. Please be respectful of those who live here, their homes, their privacy, etc.

3. Please do not park your car in front of someone's house at 2 am in the morning on a Sunday and get out and hang out by the river bank, partying, throwing your beer cans, screaming, talking etc. (Looking at you, fellow Washingtonians, who said they were from Seattle and to "give them a break".

4. Please do not throw your trash and garbage out on the side residential areas. We have picked up so many empty Mc Donalds trash bags in the past two days.

5. Please do not speed in town. Yes I know that this is a lot to ask, but when the speed limit says 35mph on a two lane highway coming through the middle of town and you are going upwards of 55mph or more, riding our bumper, I guarantee you that this will not only make me go any faster than 35mph, but it may cause a wreck, like the one we saw the other day. (I'm looking at you, fellow Utahan, who rode our bumper from 4bees all the way down to Kwa taq nuk.)

6. Be kind to the locals, especially those working in restaurants, grocery store clerks, etc. People who serve you.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,155,738 times
Thanks for the rant, it is something that folks need to be reminded about periodically. Just because you are on vacation, doesn't mean that everybody else is.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times
Man Dies After Fall In Glacier National Park

And be careful. Montana is not a park.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM

37 posts, read 91,649 times
Watched a massive - humongous diesel pusher, luxury RV with a full size SUV tow, suddenly change lanes during a red light, busy intersection, cutting every other car off, then blocked the turn lane and straight lane with all of his vehicles. I was on my way to the dump and sat there watching the huge spectacle. CA plates on the RV and tow. Burns me up. He obviously wanted to suddenly get over, confused at where he was going. But maybe going straight in the original lane he was in, then turning way up ahead would of been a more considerate choice. Non stop RVS all over town lately. Blocking everything.

I also live along a two lane road out of town. The rest of the year, it's not traveled very much except for residents, who usually don't tail gate, speed or drive seriously below the speed limit. Of course now, all the plates from out of state persons are going like 20 miles under the speed limit, swerving as they gape at the countryside (or are lost and just braking and accelerating constantly, turning their heads side to side), moving over like they are about to turn, then, OOPS! suddenly they don't turn and keep going. Trash all over the side of the road. The road leads to some very pristine country and a lake, a big draw for tourists I guess. But they apparently don't realize a lot of people live back here and we are trying to go to and from our jobs, with livestock and get supplies in town. The reckless driving, big fat RVs moving at a snail's pace and trash are just totally inconsiderate and rude. Know where you're going and get a map for heaven's sake. Take a drive, but go the speed limit, it's posted everywhere.

I know I haven't been a resident for long - 1 year - but lived in Nevada a long time. Tourist state. Just tons of out of state people who would come and trash everything, fill up all the camping, drink and get wild, fights, etc. Was a total mess. Yet the state just kept promoting the worst kind of tourist events, attracting gangs and aggressive/egotistical jerks from around the planet. I guess that's the price you pay for living in or close to great summer recreational areas.

And yeah, Montana is not a park. Tons of drownings lately. Nice rivers look fun but strong currents and eddies can suck you under even on a nice calm surface.

Okay, done.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,567,118 times
Tourists driving slowly and taking in the sights are just fine with me. I find that to be respectful behavior.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM

19,905 posts, read 22,843,106 times
Give folks a break.. Most are totally great, just in new surroundings. Let them enjoy life.

I drove to Silverwood Amusement park in ID and must've looked like an as*hat with all the stoplights in Coeur D'Lane. Blew thru two that I knew of.. Not used to the traffic.

Sorry ID drivers- no offense!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,761 times
Excellent post, eloquently said, and far more hospitable than perhaps the worse offenders deserve. Hats off to the good people of Montana as well as all the States which provide recreation and hospitality to our fellow citizens and foreign visitors as well; I salute you ALL, each and every one of you!

Good hospitality is difficult to come by people so please show some respect to the homes and environment of your vacation destination as well as the good people who, by default become your Hosts.

Certainly not any consolation whatsoever but these very same disrespectful, bad drivers, trash throwing out of their cars, loud, beer drinking, tourists (for lack of a better word) behave exactly the same when they are at home, wherever that home and that State is. Including the state of confusion.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,766,660 times
It is difficult to remember that our little corner of MT depends on those tourist dollars to stay afloat.

I find most tourists to be of 2 categories:

#1's are awe struck by the scenery / small town / local folks / etc... they tend to be pleasant and polite. They go out of there way to respect our state and private properties. I have had the pleasure of talking with a few tourists of this sort so far...these folks are welcome to visit anytime imo.

#2's tend to be more common (or more memorable?). These are the ones who feel that they have paid for their vacation, so the entire state should treat them like royalty. The locals are viewed as little more than menial servants and are treated as such. I tend to feel that we can get along just fine without these tourist dollars. I do not like going down to our local river access or pond and finding that someone has decided to use it as a camping ground (and garbage dump).

If you are planning on visiting MT and have stumbled across this post... please be a #1 visitor. You will find the locals to be much more welcoming. We tend to be very proud of our state and it's scenery. We are struggling and working hard to be able to live here...we will treat you well and help make your visit a better one if you keep that in mind.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 AM

37 posts, read 91,649 times
I seem to come across the #2 tourist more often, perhaps as you say, Sabinerose, because they are more 'memorable'. My daughter works at a small store which really only comes to life during summer. Can't tell you the amount of people buying alcohol and drifting in from the nearby campgrounds and boating areas. They proposition her all the time, trying to get her to come back with them, hang with them at their RV or site, and much more. Some of it gets quite concerning.

Sometimes I walk down to a nearby lake. Tons of trash along the road lately. I'm considering picking it up next time I go down.

I know I was a bit bitchy before, I realize we need tourism in states such as this. But I do have to say, driving too slow, on a 60mph 2 lane road (one in each direction), swerving from side to side and frequent breaking for no reason is as dangerous, IMO, as speeding. You're not sure what they are doing, and a massive back-load of cars builds up behind, all impatient people who need to get somewhere. Suddenly someone does something rash and passes 3 cars on a double yellow line. Seen it multiple times this summer. This road gets a lot of horrific accidents, so driving 'tourist-slow' is really quite dangerous. Of course they don't realize that.

Saw someone parked almost 3/4 of the way into a lane, no true shoulder on the side of the road, only a grassy ditch, taking pictures - standing in the middle of the 60mph road. Come on... that's just ridiculous! It's like Yellowstone - everyone parks in the middle of the roads and gets out to pet a bison. Think, people! Or maybe it's just me. I need to be extra alert for tourists and all the crazy stuff.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,447,253 times
I saw folks on motorcycles this weekend, really, waiting to be roadkill. Passing motor homes, double lines, oh, an oncoming car? No problem, I will just duck in that ten foot space between cars.

And, if you see wild animals, stay away from them. A tele photo lens is meant for distance use, not ten feet away. And don't feed wild animals.

Don't complain about the cost of lodging at Glacier, unless you also plan to come in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana